Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner - Half marathon

Options
  • 12-04-2017 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I have just signed up for a half marathon in October with no experience of long distance running. Currently I run 5k twice a week (generally takes me just over 24 minutes to do 5k at full pace)

I am just looking for some general tips on how to gradually increase my distance.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Well you're starting in plenty of time so no worries there at all..

From one beginner to another my advice is to first of all slow down on your runs. Whatever speed you think is slow enough, go slower. It is so backwards that to get faster you have to run slower but it works..

Start to increase your number of runs to 3 or 4 per week if you can, pay attention to niggles. Find some way of tracking your runs (watch and Strava work for me) HR monitoring is a great way to measure your level of work so if you are buying a new watch try get one that is HRM strap compatible.

My 5k times were similar to yours when I started marathon training so I'll give you an idea of what to run at but we are all different dont forget!

Increase your runs to 3 a week...

1 run as recovery ~ 7.00 mins per KM
    1 run as fast ~ 5.30 min per KM
    1 run long and slow ~ 6.30 mins per KM

the long slow run should get longer each week leading to your HM..

Good training plan here: http://irishrunning.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Half-Marathon-Novice-Training-Plan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi Robbie Hawkins. I'm very much a beginner myself, so am not an expert, but I was in your situation a few months ago and I have also signed up to my first half marathon this year.

This is what I did/am doing:

Every two weeks I tried to increase my distance by about a km or so, I wasn't worried about time then, just getting more kms done.

I signed up to some races to have something to aim towards/train for. So you could aim for 5miles (there is a 5mile in Phoenix Park the end of June) which is 8k. Focus primarily on being able to run that distance first, then you can work on speed.

Sign up to the Frank Duffy 10mile too and then start training for that once you've finished the 5mile. You might even try a 10k some time in July so that you are gradually increasing your distances. I think the 10mile is in August. That race series are meant to be used as good prep for half and DCM

You can google search 5mile and 10mile plans and also the Irish Runner magaine have good advice with these exact races in mind - I have gotten a lot of useful info from those magazines. Also, the myasics website generates plans too - I know a lot of posters think they aren't that great, but they are a starting point for you and a rough guide to follow.

I joined my local running club three weeks ago and my only regret about this is that I didn't do it sooner. I've already gotten great advice about my running technique and have made like-minded friends who I've raced once with already too.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RobbieHawkins

Thanks for the advice will take on board

Advertisement