Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin city council repairing damaged cycle lanes

Options
  • 12-04-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

last week the council were digging up a section of cycle lane on the howth road, just the far side of raheny. when i cycled it this week, it looked like someone had vomited tarmac into the hole they dug in the cycle lane and then walked away. the 'repair' to the footpath is also a mess.

i've logged a report with the council using this so will see how they react / respond and update here.

i see a number of really old posts on this subject but curious if anyone has had more recent experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

last week the council were digging up a section of cycle lane on the howth road, just the far side of raheny. when i cycled it this week, it looked like someone had vomited tarmac into the hole they dug in the cycle lane and then walked away. the 'repair' to the footpath is also a mess.

i've logged a report with the council using this so will see how they react / respond and update here.

i see a number of really old posts on this subject but curious if anyone has had more recent experience?

they may not be finished, they'll often just throw tarmac down quickly if they're coming back at a later date to finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

loyatemu wrote: »
    they may not be finished, they'll often just throw tarmac down quickly if they're coming back at a later date to finish the job.

which may be true but it would have taken them 5 minutes to smooth it a bit with the back of a shovel and they should have left a sign to warn people if the roadworks are not finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

loyatemu wrote: »

More often than not that, they don't come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They put some new white paint on the N11 cycle drain, they went straight through the pot holes. As a result bussses are now giving cyclists less room and being more aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

ted1 wrote: »
    They put some new white paint on the N11 cycle drain, they went straight through the pot holes. As a result bussses are now giving cyclists less room and being more aggressive

That one is gas. Put fresh white lines on a stretch absolutely riddled with holes, cracks and drainage.

I logged a complaint about that stretch near UCD going southbound, the following week it had fresh paint. Let's just say the faded lines weren't my issue with it.

I didn't get a response...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

ted1 wrote: »

Noticed this myself, a fresh bright "Stay off the road" line with a cycle path in dangerous condition. Such a lack of care and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

so 9 days later, no reply and no change to the state of the cycle path, footpath and part of the roadway.

on the dublin city council website, the current status says "inspection completed" but no further notes. i've asked them for a further update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've used this website http://fixmystreet.ie/ before and it seems to get a reaction. I followed up with a tweet and pictures. If they have caused the hazard and failed to remedy it they're liable for and accident once it is brought to their attention afaik. Pot holes are considered to be one of those things if unreported and an accident occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Fixmystreet just sends the requests through to the Dublin City Council page originally quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Chuchote wrote: »
    Fixmystreet just sends the requests through to the Dublin City Council page originally quoted.

Yes but you have some form of acknowledgement and there's a lot to be said for one company pointing out a flair to another.

As I have said I have used fix my street and the direct route and the response was by far quicker through the fix my street website.

Thanks for your observation though

• Advertisement

Really? I've had immediate action from the council site, while fixmystreet didn't get any action at all! Mileage may vary, I suppose - or perhaps when I posted on fixmystreet there was no money to do the fixes, whereas when I posted on the council site there was.

Lately I've had varied results (from the council site). Litter reports and graffiti reports resulted in instant pickup and cleanup in some areas, whereas road resurfacing requests were ignored - eg Dublin 6W. In another area - Dublin 4 - a road resurfacing request was immediately and completely fulfilled, some litter was picked up but for instance the bottom of a traffic cone stuck to the pavement in Beaver Row has remained their despite my wails for something like two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get your Krylon out.

d1-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Chuchote wrote:

I used this in relation to illegal dumping in my estate. Got an acknowledgement email and thought that was it. A fortnight later, all rubbish was gone. Guess it works for some things.

rushfan wrote: »
    I used this in relation to illegal dumping in my estate. Got an acknowledgement email and thought that was it. A fortnight later, all rubbish was gone. Guess it works for some things.

People here have also mentioned the See it! Say it! app for illegal dumping. Pity you can't (I assume) use it for not-fit-for-purpose roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chuchote wrote: »
    People here have also mentioned the See it! Say it! app for illegal dumping. Pity you can't (I assume) use it for not-fit-for-purpose roads.
    You can use FixMyStreet for reporting road issues, though the effectiveness of response varies greatly across different councils, and even different areas of the same council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Anyone here cycle through Sundrive from Mount Jerome in Dublin? Well some genius repainted the cycle track yesterday. S/he has it going through the junction and into the pavement on the other side. Hard to explain but from this view, he has the cycle lane on the left heading half onto the path https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3194408,-6.2905781,3a,75y,230.74h,86.15t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1siKKHc7gWTnOEaNRrPILHWg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DiKKHc7gWTnOEaNRrPILHWg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D38.414276%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Massive Crater on North Strand road, watch out for it. I know it's in the middle of the road but you can still find yourself there. Raised it with Dublin city council.

417689.png

417690.png

Advertisement