Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai say cyclists must change attitude

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ThisRegard wrote: »

So what are the numbers if they're so huge?
    Official Gardaí stats at 9 o'clock this morning - 4 fatalities year to date across the country, pretty similar to previous years

This is a stat they produce I'm inclined to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If I had my way i'd ban people running on the road with headphones in their ears.
    How can they hear traffic coming?

I wouldn't knock the high viz jacket either. It could save a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Roads are dangerous, it's a suggestion to make yourselves more visible to other road users.
    What's the problem and why the attitude of " this infuriates me so much".
    That attitude stinks.

Roads will always be dangerous, there are vehicles traveling at speed, you think it's wrong that ye should maybe wear a hi vis or a helmet because it might help you be noticed on the road ,or you shouldn't have to and everybody should be paying attention to me.

Your the smallest thing on the road and will likely lose a battle against a vehicle.
    Accidents happen a high vis might get you noticed before it does.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

XsApollo wrote: »
    Your the smallest thing on the road and will likely lose a battle against a vehicle.
    Presume you are in favour of extending this to all pedestrians then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

"Cyclists need to undergo a change in “mindset and attitude†and always wear fluorescent clothing and helmets, the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (AGSI) believes."

"fluorescent"

I don't recall that being the same as HIGH-VIZ, but I am open to correction.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »

If they are not walking on a footpath yea.

I'd agree with that but only if they're on the actual road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wouldn't knock the high viz jacket either. It could save a life.

As a tourniquet?

As a tourniquet?

I'd also make flashing lights. front and rear, compulsory.
    They are great and easy to see.

What about when crossing the road?

• Advertisement

What about when crossing the road?

Use the safe cross code,
    You should be alright

If they are not walking on a footpath yea.

Every time they cross the road. Every time they walk along a road without a path?

When I take the dog down my unlit road at night I take a light. That makes me much more visible than hi viz ever will. I take the same approach when riding a bike. I will often leave my rear light on in daylight.

Requiring every cyclist to wear hi viz is frankly absurd.

Maybe you guys could have a read through our hi viz (and indeed helmet) megathread(s) (linked from the Charter/FAQ thread) and you may actually learn something rather than thinking you know all about it without undertaking any research

Use the safe cross code,
    You should be alright

What makes it safer than walking along the road without highvis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Everybody knows that all road users within proximity of high viz wearer automatically obey the rules of the road, we just need to saturate the streets with high viz and then there will be zero RTA and all the hell that goes with it.

Our police force is really really stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Looking back at earlier AGSI conferences, did they tell women to wear modest clothing so they wouldn't be raped? Is this their normal carry-on?

Incidentally, d'you know what would be really useful? A sticky with the law relating to cyclists, including cycling two abreast, cycling up the inside of lines of traffic, use of bus lanes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I hate meeting cyclists on the road especially on country roads, it's usually not a reflection on the cyclists it's more the potential of what can go wrong.

A little bit more care from both sides would help immesurably in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Incidentally, d'you know what would be really useful? A sticky with the law relating to cyclists, including cycling two abreast, cycling up the inside of lines of traffic, use of bus lanes, etc.

There's a link to the "law" thread in the charter sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Roads are dangerous, it's a suggestion to make yourselves more visible to other road users.
    What's the problem and why the attitude of " this infuriates me so much".
    That attitude stinks.

Roads will always be dangerous, there are vehicles traveling at speed, you think it's wrong that ye should maybe wear a hi vis or a helmet because it might help you be noticed on the road ,or you shouldn't have to and everybody should be paying attention to me.

Except it doesn't.

People look at a yellow jacket and say "that's very bright"

There's nothing beyond anecdotes to say it makes people more likely to be seen.

They might as well make drinking flat Lucozade compulsory.

Every time they cross the road. Every time they walk along a road without a path?

When I take the dog down my unlit road at night I take a light. That makes me much more visible than hi viz ever will. I take the same approach when riding a bike. I will often leave my rear light on in daylight.

Maybe you guys could have a read through our hi viz (and indeed helmet) megathread(s) (linked from the Charter/FAQ thread) and you may actually learn something rather than thinking you know all about it without undertaking any research
    I have come across many a cyclist with no visible clothes and no lights on many a night. They give you some fright on a narrow and dark country road.
    That gives me the right to air my views.
    They give you some fright.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There's a link to the "law" thread in the charter sticky.

Can't find it. Found the charter sticky, but can find no link to "law" or "legal" there.

• Advertisement

A set of lights front and rear is obviously a better option than a high viz.
    Is it mandatory to have lights on your bike?
    Or should it be if it isn't .

I drive with my lights on in the car all the time, I don't need to during the day and I shouldn't have to , but I do it because people can see me easier I'm not infuriated that I have to , it makes sense.

At the risk of stealing the thunder of both the hiviz and helmet threads, there would have to be very convincing statistical evidence of both these measures (that is, evidence that is statistically significant that they have a major net beneficial effect) to promote them as heavily as they are promoted, let alone make them mandatory. As yet, the evidence remains pretty unconvincing, and countries with as good or better safety records than ours don't require either (the hiviz obsession seems to be a particular Irish and British thing anyway).

So, about those hundred of thousands of fake breathalyzer tests ...

A set of lights front and rear is obviously a better option than a high viz.
    Is it mandatory to have lights on your bike?
    Or should it be if it isn't .

It is mandatory, and has been since the sixties, I think.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Can't find it. Found the charter sticky, but can find no link to "law" or "legal" there.

It's under "List of Irish Cycling Legislation"

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It is mandatory, and has been since the sixties, I think.

The amount of bikes that I see without them is unreal and in dark conditions , so a change in attitude is needed and more enforcement also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

both issues mentioned are caused by other road users but it's the cyclists who need to change behaviour...

Hang on a second, of course motorists need to be more mindful of cyclists and their safety but ultimately as a cyclist and an adult you need to take responsibility for your own safety.
    Cyclists not taking every measure possible to ensure their own safety do need to take on board the need to make improvements.
    This isn't a case of the poor downtrodden cyclists being subjugated by the Gardai /motorists/ whoever else is out of favour today.

Glazers Out!

I have come across many a cyclist with no visible clothes and no lights on many a night. They give you some fright on a narrow and dark country road.
    That gives me the right to air my views.
    They give you some fright.

Well, they should have lights. Modern lights at the >€25 end of the market are usually very good. Those cyclists should be using modern, powerful (but directed downwards) lights.

nullzero wrote: »
    Hang on a second, of course motorists need to be more mindful of cyclists and their safety but ultimately as a cyclist and an adult you need to take responsibility for your own safety.
    Cyclists not taking every measure possible to ensure their own safety do need to take on board the need to make improvements.
    This isn't a case of the poor downtrodden cyclists being subjugated by the Gardai /motorists/ whoever else is out of favour today.

Every measure? Spine protection? Hövding airbag? Hiviz trousers? Wrist and ankle lights?

All you need to be conspicous at times of poor visibility are modern, powerful lights. That's it.

it is mandatory to have a white light at the front, a red light at the back, working brakes and reflectors, and a bell (except, in the last case, on a racing bike).

There are plenty of ninjas out there who dress in black. But so they are entitled to do, just as the countrymen who stump along unlit roads in Kerry in the dark of the night are entitled to wear their dark clothes.

Trying to force cyclists to wear hi-viz and helmets - which as others have pointed out they don't wear in the countries with the highest number of cyclists - is fascistic.

It's also a total side issue - serious cyclists mostly dress to be seen; look at this video of the cycle last week in support of the Liffey Cycleway:

• Advertisement

The amount of bikes that I see without them is unreal and in dark conditions , so a change in attitude is needed and more enforcement also.

Well, who's been promoting hiviz and helmets (which are not legally required) to the detriment of good lights (which are legally required) and functioning brakes (also legally required)? The Gardaí, and the RSA. So they don't need any new laws. They need to change their campaigns to highlight the laws that do exist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement