Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai say cyclists must change attitude

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »

Ah, thanks! Searched for "law" and "legal", didn't find it and scooted down the page and missed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Lets face it the Garda have had no affect on driving habits in this country
    Mobile phone use, drink driving, dangerous driving, people driving while banned, driving with no insurance or nct

they have just given up and basically said to us cyclists its your problem, wear hi viz we are washing our hands of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I have come across many a cyclist with no visible clothes.

There's a whole ride dedicated to those guys, sure you weren't in the middle of that perving?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

XsApollo wrote: »
    Roads are dangerous.

no, roads are not dangerous - road users are, especially the ones driving too quickly in large metal boxes without due regard to other users' safety (such as driving too quickly on an L-Road and expecting the road to be clear)
    Roads will always be dangerous, there are vehicles traveling at speed...everybody should be paying attention to me

Well slow down please - there are other people walking/running/biking/horse-riding etc. The attitude of drivers needs to change. Slow down!
    Accidents happen...

Glad someone mentioned this - accidents do not 'happen', they are 'caused'.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Everybody knows that all road users within proximity of high viz wearer automatically obey the rules of the road, we just need to saturate the streets with high viz and then there will be zero RTA and all the hell that goes with it.
    Careful now - we'll all start blending in with the back of Garda and other emergency vehicles, along with numerous other vehicles with those yellow and orange stripes. What the hell do we do then? Start wearing black so drivers can see us??

Sorry, but I think I'll stick to using working lights....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's a whole ride dedicated to those guys, sure you weren't in the middle of that perving?

You'd surely have spotted me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'd surely have spotted me.

I couldn't possibly have unless your car was painted highvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I couldn't possibly have unless your car was painted highvis.
    I was walking with my dog. He had a high viz.
    Seriously though be safe, be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Beasty wrote: »
    Careful now - we'll all start blending in with the back of Garda and other emergency vehicles, along with numerous other vehicles with those yellow and orange stripes. What the hell do we do then? Start wearing black so drivers can see us??

214292.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been having great fun on the irish times facebook post about this, but each time this happens, it has me thinking - are cyclists letting the framing of this issue be dictated too much? how would you go about framing this issue so it's not such a reactive approach all the time?

and i mean on a much lower level than actual political lobbying, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i've been having great fun on the irish times facebook post about this, but each time this happens, it has me thinking - are cyclists letting the framing of this issue be dictated too much? how would you go about framing this issue so it's not such a reactive approach all the time?

and i mean on a much lower level than actual political lobbying, etc.

Demand proper cycling facilities
    Demand that phones in use in cars be confiscated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I have come across many a cyclist with no visible clothes and no lights on many a night. They give you some fright on a narrow and dark country road.
    That gives me the right to air my views.
    They give you some fright.

Lights are mandatory and essential.

Almost never promoted by the civil authorities.

RSA gave out puny unfit for purpose lights a few years ago further muddying the waters.

People gather at stupid extremes of no lights/ stupidly powerful off-road lights because there's next to no direction (e.g. ad campaigns, school campaigns ) about lights just about magic jackets and foam hats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

They are just saying "be as visible" as you can or make some effort to be.
    I'd be fine with that if it was a statement that made some sense. Like, when it's dark, have lights. That's already the law.

But this dressing up like a builder in order to ride a bicycle in daylight is *********.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and it's a hoary old chestnut, but aren't these vital items we're supposed to use - lights and helmets - charged at full VAT rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's just depressing to read this lame attempt to be seeing to make roads safer for cyclists. While they are at it its a wonder they dont call for a total ban on cycling to decrease the risk of motorists hitting cyclists.

Alternatively how about calling for an effective and robust strategy/policy for dealing with all incidents of bad / dangerous driving? That's where the road safety battle will be won / lost .

I live out in the country and am often horrified...
    I know exactly what you mean.

Hold on, there's more.
    ...to round a bend and come upon either cyclists or walkers
    Can you imagine? Other road users that can cause you no harm whatsoever. However do you cope?
    We may all poke fun at the Gardais suggestions
    Not exclusively. We also have yours.
    but people have to learn to take responsibility for themselves and make allowances for the eegits they share the road with
    Like maybe not getting an attack of the vapors every time you encounter another road user.

I know exactly what you mean.

Hold on, there's more.

Can you imagine? Other road users that can cause you no harm whatsoever. However do you cope?

Not exclusively. We also have yours.

Like maybe not getting an attack of the vapors every time you encounter another road user.

Coming around a blind bend, being aware that you may come across another road user only to find said road user hogging the ditch while out walking with two young children, out of my line of sight, in dark clothing scares the bajazus out of me. Almost as bad as his missus pounding the road with her earphones in, totally oblivious to the coming traffic. Poke fun all you like, but if I had to hit that man and his children or his wife, who would have to live with the outcome?

aware that you may come across another road user
    I stopped reading at this bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

To be fair to AGS, they're wearing hi viz gear and their marked cars are also striped. It's not a car of them preaching what they don't practice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Coming around a blind bend, being aware that you may come across another road user only to find said road user hogging the ditch while out walking with two young children, out of my line of sight, in dark clothing scares the bajazus out of me. Almost as bad as his missus pounding the road with her earphones in, totally oblivious to the coming traffic. Poke fun all you like, but if I had to hit that man and his children or his wife, who would have to live with the outcome?

Maryanne, if you are coming around a blind bend at speed and you hit someone who is - to quote your own expression, 'hogging the ditch' - then you are a) driving beyond what the conditions safely allow and b) driving beyond either and/or both you and your vehicles capabilities to be able to react, gauge speed, and stop if necessary.

What you described above, if reading between the lines, implies that you are rounding blind bends routinely at speed. Your faux concern for the well-being of others comes across as patronising because if it really is a genuine issue, then you are going to hit them regardless of whether or not they are or are not wearing hi-viz, in a car, or lit up like a christmas tree. You cannot see around corners; it may as well be a parked truck for all that matters. It might even be a tank coming the other way (true story ... )

Next time you're hammering it towards that blind bend you know so well, think about having to live with the "what if" scenario that you are trying to lay at everyone else's feet instead of accepting some personal responsibility for your own actions and trying to guilt others for your own peace of mind.

• Advertisement

i've been having great fun on the irish times facebook post about this
    currently having a disagreement with a woman who said she actually saw cyclists stay in lane going round a blind bend (rather than pulling in to the hard shoulder to let her past) and then started quoting RSA guidelines about not cycling 2 abreast if it means you'll become a rolling roadblock.
    and i've just found out she's an engineer in donegal CoCo!

there wasn't even a hint of 'i was stuck behind them for 7m, joe!'. just the one bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

To be fair to AGS, they're wearing hi viz gear and their marked cars are also striped. It's not a car of them preaching what they don't practice
    Do they drive home after work in hiviz cars?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Roads are dangerous, it's a suggestion to make yourselves more visible to other road users.
    What's the problem and why the attitude of " this infuriates me so much".
    That attitude stinks.

Roads will always be dangerous, there are vehicles traveling at speed, you think it's wrong that ye should maybe wear a hi vis or a helmet because it might help you be noticed on the road ,or you shouldn't have to and everybody should be paying attention to me.

Your the smallest thing on the road and will likely lose a battle against a vehicle.
    Accidents happen a high vis might get you noticed before it does.

Someone has already noted that roads aren't dangerous. It's the vehicles travelling at speed that are dangerous, not the road. It's the users of the vehicles that travel at speed that should really start doing something about taking care of their own responsibilities. If they out in half as much effort doing so as they do lecturing those who walk or cycle, we'd all be getting from a to b quite intact

totally oblivious to the coming traffic
    Out of curiosity, what exact action do you expect this hypothetical lady to take when she finds herself on a collision course with you? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Do taxi drivers still own the road? Despite what any cyclist wears or does surely they still do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Errr....you don't have to hit anyone.

Your attitude reminds me of the driver in this video

Silly horse riders not wearing hi-vi....actually no....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

But this dressing up like a builder in order to ride a bicycle in daylight is *********.

Yeah. Coz imagine dressing up like a builder does. In all that high vis rubbish they have to wear during their day to make them more visable while they're surrounded by potential dangers. Ridiculous.

Never ceases to amaze me how up in arms cyclists get about any notion of them being safer. Kind of backs up the garda's comments about a change of attitude being needed.

I was doing quite a bit of driving around parts of Surrey in 2015 and I would frequently come across horseriders on certain roads. They did wear high-vis.

Perched atop a horse the size of a garden shed and they still wore high-vis.

Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dbagman wrote: »
    Yeah. Coz imagine dressing up like a builder does. In all that high vis rubbish they have to wear during their day to make them more visable while they're surrounded by potential dangers. Ridiculous.

So a car is equal to a digger, cranes, scaffolding etc then?
    Even more the reason why if a motorist causes death or injury the book should be thrown at them then.
    Never ceases to amaze me how up in arms cyclists get about any notion of them being safer. Kind of backs up the garda's comments about a change of attitude being needed.

Its the motorist driving round in a big metal box can be very easily kill people, yet many, many motorists don't drive with due care and attention.

Drink driving, speeding, driving while texting or while on the phone. All very common issues and yet so many motorists are lax about speeding and mobile use.

I say all this as a motorist!

As a motorist I have a duty of care to other road users and especially other vulnerable road users such as cyclists, walkers, runners, horse riders etc.

They don't have another large metal box with airbags to protect them if I was to hit them so the onus is on me to be more careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I'd also make flashing lights. front and rear, compulsory.
    They are great and easy to see.

They make it hard to judge the actual distance of something moving and can make you blend into suburban lighting. They should only be secondary lighting only

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement