Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied to be Superintendent for Certificate Exams - when will I hear?

Options
  • 12-04-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I applied back in January to be an exam superintendent. This is my first time applying. Haven't heard anything back yet. Starting to make holiday plans now and just wondering when people normally hear whether they have got a position or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

fader123 wrote: »
    I applied back in January to be an exam superintendent. This is my first time applying. Haven't heard anything back yet. Starting to make holiday plans now and just wondering when people normally hear whether they have got a position or not?

I received my appointment letter last week.

Was this your first time to apply? I'd suggest you give them a call and they can check out what the story is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

I received my annual rejection letter last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Give them a call. They are probably waiting to hear back from people to confirm if they are taking their offer or not, before they send out more offers. They were begging people in June last year to take on centres they were so short. A friend of mine was offered 3 schools and told to take her pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

doc_17 wrote: »

Just out of interest, how many times have you applied unsuccessfully now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

sitstill wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how many times have you applied unsuccessfully now?

All the talk is they cant get people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

doc_17 wrote: »
    You can't be Dublin based for sure.

If you ring up SEC they will tell you what the cut off is (measured in years experience) for each county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got my letter last week and closing date for response was yesterday!

Last year was the first year I had to collect papers in the national show centre. There were no shows last years! A reserve in my centre got a call around 5 o clock last year.

I am marking in the next few weeks and we were told at marking conference that 13 examiners have dropped out. Advising examiners now have to act as examiners to mop up the excess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Millem heard the same last year too. I accepted superintendent this year even though I swore after last year I was out but my current contract will pay me over the summer whereas last year I just about broke even for superintendent after paying childcare. But I am waiting to know where I am and what centre- if it's a LC centre i will be pulling out as can't justify the extra expense - got caught last year with LC centre and a candidate who had an extra 20 minutes per exam - totally messed up my childcare arrangements - I can manage JC Times but not LC. Such a balls we don't find out till the Tuesday our actual timetable
    Re the marking - doesn't surprise me. Corrector have been treated like crap the past few years. I know an LCA Assistant advisor who has been roped into other modules this year as they hadn't enough and couldn't get anyone to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Millem heard the same last year too. I accepted superintendent this year even though I swore after last year I was out but my current contract will pay me over the summer whereas last year I just about broke even for superintendent after paying childcare. But I am waiting to know where I am and what centre- if it's a LC centre i will be pulling out as can't justify the extra expense - got caught last year with LC centre and a candidate who had an extra 20 minutes per exam - totally messed up my childcare arrangements - I can manage JC Times but not LC. Such a balls we don't find out till the Tuesday our actual timetable
    Re the marking - doesn't surprise me. [B]Corrector have been treated like crap the past few years.[/B] I know an LCA Assistant advisor who has been roped into other modules this year as they hadn't enough and couldn't get anyone to do it

How have correctors been treated like crap??? Silly comments like this put people off correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    How have correctors been treated like crap??? Silly comments like this put people off correcting.

Yes I agree with this. It is a time consuming job with high stress levels. I've done it the past years and have had no problems and anyone I know have had no problems. Everyone should try it sometime to get an insight into how their subject is corrected. You're not going to be a millionaire with the pay but that is dependent on subject but the more work you have to do the more you'll get paid. If you're on part time hours or unemployed during the summer - it will be worth it - the only disadvantage is you won't be paid until October.

Also I can't see the problem with advising examiners being 'roped' in to examine other modules. There is a shortage of examiners and the number of candidates doing LCA would be far less than the LC or JC. I'm sure they weren't brought to Athlone against their will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For starters:
    Poor conditions at marking conferences
    Big pullback on expenses allowed.
    Change in mileage allowance from home to 'centre'.
    Less money.
    Shortening of deadlines for returns of papers.
    Increases in numbers of papers given without extra time allowances.
    More than one or two re-adjustments of marking schemes, each of which results in a re-mark of papers to date.

spurious wrote: »
    For starters:
    Poor conditions at marking conferences
    Big pullback on expenses allowed.
    Change in mileage allowance from home to 'centre'.
    Less money.
    Shortening of deadlines for returns of papers.
    Increases in numbers of papers given without extra time allowances.
    More than one or two re-adjustments of marking schemes, each of which results in a re-mark of papers to date.

Admittedly, I can't argue with all of that but it's worthwhile in terms of your teaching. I see over on VFT a poster giving out that they only got €2 per paper and working for €4 per hour. It's a choice you make - do it or don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Admittedly, I can't argue with all of that but it's worthwhile in terms of your teaching. I see over on VFT a poster giving out that they only got €2 per paper and working for €4 per hour. It's a choice you make - do it or don't.

I would very much agree it's worth doing at least once.

It's the real penny-pinching that galls. Like making people pay for a scabby cup of tea when some of them have driven four hours to make an early conference start - completely unnecessary and very disrespectful of the very people who are helping them out of a hole.

The shortening year by year of the time limits for returning corrections is worrying, if it continues at the rate it is going in subjects I am familiar with. All it does is rush people which results in errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Saying do it or don't do it and dismissing issues is all well and good until they can't get enough correctors - already becoming a problem. All but one of my colleagues who corrected have given it up. Deteriorating terms and conditions was a big factor but actually ridiculous demands in terms of being expected to be contactable at unreasonable hours was the last straw for several of them. Their reports of recent demands have certainly put many, including myself, off.

spurious wrote: »
    I would very much agree it's worth doing at least once.

It's the real penny-pinching that galls. Like making people pay for a scabby cup of tea when some of them have driven four hours to make an early conference start - completely unnecessary and very disrespectful of the very people who are helping them out of a hole.

The shortening year by year of the time limits for returning corrections is worrying, if it continues at the rate it is going in subjects I am familiar with. All it does is rush people which results in errors.

We got tea and scones and subsidised lunch :) - probably won't this year. Yes the penny pinching is a pain especially the distance from either home or school - that one annoys me. Yes the shortening of returning corrections will lead to mistakes but it could be brought up at conference. I could only do 40 scripts last year so when that was done you were finished for the day.

Those kind of people sicken me, and I detest them being the voices of teachers. There is no subject paying €2 per paper. No job in the country is quoted at the after tax rate. It's quoted at the rate per hour/ per piece/ salary. Take home pay is an entirely different matter.

So they are not working for €4 per hour.

I would say all of the reasons listed above by spurious are reasons to be pissed off with correction, but generally not the pay per paper, particularly at LC level.

E.g. the top rate of pay is as far as i know HL LC English/Irish. Examiner gets both papers and gets paid €31 per pair corrected.

We got tea and scones and subsidised lunch :) - probably won't this year. Yes the penny pinching is a pain especially the distance from either home or school - that one annoys me. Yes the shortening of returning corrections will lead to mistakes but it could be brought up at conference. I could only do 40 scripts last year so when that was done you were finished for the day.

Were you correcting a foreign language by any chance? Serious shortages there last year, I'd imagine you were being buttered up to retain you.

Those kind of people sicken me, and I detest them being the voices of teachers. There is no subject paying €2 per paper. No job in the country is quoted at the after tax rate. It's quoted at the rate per hour/ per piece/ salary. Take home pay is an entirely different matter.

I would say all of the reasons listed above by spurious are reasons to be pissed off with correction, but generally not the pay per paper, particularly at LC level.

E.g. the top rate of pay is as far as i know HL LC English/Irish. Examiner gets both papers and gets paid €31 per pair corrected.

I share your views. I never see anything constructive over on VFT - it's all negative. I would never ever post anything over there. I'd wonder if the mods really are teachers as they post all kinds of tripe over there.

Now back on topic - I have corrected for the last few years and have been paid more than what is stated above. I have enjoyed the experience as I have gained loads from it. It's only three weeks work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I think that post on voice for teachers was referring to mock corrections ? And they knew what they were signing up for.

The post on VFT is about mock corrections not SEC. I can't agree with complete dismissal of that poster's concerns either. That it was NET pay was clearly stated - you can insist gross is the only number that should be quoted but once it's made clear which figure is being discissed I don't see the need for such outrage. As for knowing what you sign up for - to an extent yes, but someone correcting for the first time would not have a clear idea of how many papers they would get through.

• Advertisement

I share your views. I never see anything constructive over on VFT - it's all negative. I would never ever post anything over there. I'd wonder if the mods really are teachers as they post all kinds of tripe over there.

Now back on topic - I have corrected for the last few years and have been paid more than what is stated above. I have enjoyed the experience as I have gained loads from it. It's only three weeks work.

Don't follow VFT for a long time, it was just pissing me off with whinging ignorant idiots that didn't know their basic facts.

I've been correcting for 16 years, I'll be doing it again this year. It's a slog, but I earn a good bit of money from it and it pays for a nice holiday each year.

Were you correcting a foreign language by any chance? Serious shortages there last year, I'd imagine you were being buttered up to retain you.

Yes I was. The new system made the exams a breeze to correct - no post office, scruid 60, phone calls or totting up - all done for you. There were shortages but it was they went around implementing and their correspondence with correctors.

Don't follow VFT for a long time, it was just pissing me off with whinging ignorant idiots that didn't know their basic facts.

I've been correcting for 16 years, I'll be doing it again this year. It's a slog, but I earn a good bit of money from it and it pays for a nice holiday each year.

As always, I'm in agreement with you!!! I really don't know what some people expect to earn.

Yes I was. The new system made the exams a breeze to correct - no post office, scruid 60, phone calls or totting up - all done for you. There were shortages but it was they went around implementing and their correspondence with correctors.

Sounds great. What subject will they be correcting like that next?

I think that post on voice for teachers was referring to mock corrections ? And they knew what they were signing up for.

It was but still relevant here - people not happy with the rates they're being paid.

Sounds great. What subject will they be correcting like that next?

Well the system that we downloaded had JC maths on it - so maybe that. I really recommend it. I was finished a few days before deadline.

The post on VFT is about mock corrections not SEC. I can't agree with complete dismissal of that poster's concerns either. That it was NET pay was clearly stated - you can insist gross is the only number that should be quoted but once it's made clear which figure is being discissed I don't see the need for such outrage. As for knowing what you sign up for - to an extent yes, but someone correcting for the first time would not have a clear idea of how many papers they would get through.

Well it is stated in confirmation letter and they should be able to know that the papers will be in the hundreds not class tests. I have to admit, I was a little overwhelmed in my first year but had a very encouraging supervisor and once the first hundred were done - I was flying it. Correcting class tests don't pose a problem anymore :)

Well the system that we downloaded had JC maths on it - so maybe that. I really recommend it. I was finished a few days before deadline.

I was finished a week before my deadline too , correcting manually :)

Well it is stated in confirmation letter and they should be able to know that the papers will be in the hundreds not class tests. I have to admit, I was a little overwhelmed in my first year but had a very encouraging supervisor and once the first hundred were done - I was flying it. Correcting class tests don't pose a problem anymore :)

I was referring to mock corrections (as was discussed on VFT) and how many you would get through per hour rather than over all - it's hardly surprising that some may be surprised by how long it takes for their first time, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

Have any of you who have corrected done HL LC English? Got a call about whether I was willing to do it (had applied to correct OL LC English) so am mulling it over...

Advertisement