Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied to be Superintendent for Certificate Exams - when will I hear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Mekekka wrote: »
    Have any of you who have corrected done HL LC English? Got a call about whether I was willing to do it (had applied to correct OL LC English) so am mulling it over...

Well if I was you, I would definitely do it for a year - I'm sure you can always drop back. I know it was a lot of work but I wouldn't say a lot more than OL - so I may be wrong. It would be brilliant for your teaching. I went to an in service lately showing how my paper is corrected at HL LC and it was very beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It was but still relevant here - people not happy with the rates they're being paid.

It's a private business and the pay is crap. Have only corrected for DEB, a long time ago now and they only ever quoted the after tax rate. The problem there was that they were only paying tax at the 20% rate for correctors, when (for me anyway) it should have been paid at the 41% rate. Very sneaky and underhand in my opinion. Revenue picked up on it and hit me with a bill for unpaid tax for about €800. It was the first time I was aware of it as I didn't realise they weren't paying the full rate. I got on to DEB straight away and got them to pay it. I was one of only two correctors for my subject at the time for them, so they needed me more than I needed them.

I also insisted that if they wanted me back the following year that they pay the 41% rate and my net pay to be unaffected. They agreed to all of that. But I do wonder what other teachers got stung in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

It's a private business and the pay is crap. Have only corrected for DEB, a long time ago now and they only ever quoted the after tax rate. The problem there was that they were only paying tax at the 20% rate for correctors, when (for me anyway) it should have been paid at the 41% rate. Very sneaky and underhand in my opinion. Revenue picked up on it and hit me with a bill for unpaid tax for about €800. It was the first time I was aware of it as I didn't realise they weren't paying the full rate. I got on to DEB straight away and got them to pay it. I was one of only two correctors for my subject at the time for them, so they needed me more than I needed them.

I also insisted that if they wanted me back the following year that they pay the 41% rate and my net pay to be unaffected. They agreed to all of that. But I do wonder what other teachers got stung in the past.

Me!!!!!! I am currently trying to sort it out with them!!! I work in previous year but get paid following year if that makes sense?? They haven't processed my payment yet!
    It will hit me next year when I claim back on med1.

And don't forget usc!! They only paid 1% whereas I should pay 5% this year.

Millem wrote: »
    Me!!!!!! I am currently trying to sort it out with them!!! I work in previous year but get paid following year if that makes sense?? They haven't processed my payment yet!
    It will hit me next year when I claim back on med1.

And don't forget usc!! They only paid 1% whereas I should pay 5% this year.

Don't know why they would delay payment for a year. I used to get paid 4-6 weeks after final corrections. USC didn't exist when I was correcting for them. Was around 2008 I reckon or a bit earlier.

Don't know why they would delay payment for a year. I used to get paid 4-6 weeks after final corrections. USC didn't exist when I was correcting for them. Was around 2008 I reckon or a bit earlier.

It's not correcting ;)
    I do my work for them in September then get paid around same time as Correctors

• Advertisement

It's not correcting ;)
    I do my work for them in September then get paid around same time as Correctors

Fair enough! I used to write mock papers years ago, don't remember when I got paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Superintending payments are getting faster each year. And the examining payment was even earlier last year. I have to give it to them, they are working harder to get payments out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    How have correctors been treated like crap??? Silly comments like this put people off correcting.

Just to address my post earlier - I was treated like crap at appeals stage - won't get into specifics but let's say there was an issue in getting the papers to me and the date I received them was the deadline to get all papers back to SEC - I was put under enormous pressure to mark them. I wasn't made aware fully of procedure to follow due to the mishap and I still feel the way the advisor handled the while thing was deplorable. It has soured what was until then a good working relationship with that person. I will never forget how she spoke to me on the phone and whatever about marking it has put me right off appeals.
    And that poxy 2.50 for a cup (cup not even a mug!!!!!) Of tea is a killer 😠😠

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

sitstill wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how many times have you applied unsuccessfully now?

The first time I applied was in 2008 and I got it that year and the following year but haven't got it since.

doc_17 wrote: »
    The first time I applied was in 2008 and I got it that year and the following year but haven't got it since.

Jaysis doc, have you gone on a killing spree since? Because I can't think of any other reason you haven't got anything.:) You must be the unluckiest teacher in the country not to have been offered supervision given the major shortage problems the SEC have had to fill positions.

I see you have your location as Donegal. I wonder is it just one of those counties that have teachers there doing it for years, so positions rarely come up, unlike Dublin. And given the long distance and the quirk of the border, you'd have to travel (mileage and overnights) to get it in any other county, you're just shoved to the bottom of the list. The friend I mentioned in an earlier post was offered 3 schools in and around Dublin/Kildare I think and was Roscommon based, but it would still be cheaper to pay them to come from Roscommon than you from Donegal etc.

it might be worth ringing them and telling them you are willing to travel if you are,and hopefully you get something if you really want it.

• Advertisement

Jaysis doc, have you gone on a killing spree since? Because I can't think of any other reason you haven't got anything.:) You must be the unluckiest teacher in the country not to have been offered supervision given the major shortage problems the SEC have had to fill positions.

I see you have your location as Donegal. I wonder is it just one of those counties that have teachers there doing it for years, so positions rarely come up, unlike Dublin. And given the long distance and the quirk of the border, you'd have to travel (mileage and overnights) to get it in any other county, you're just shoved to the bottom of the list. The friend I mentioned in an earlier post was offered 3 schools in and around Dublin/Kildare I think and was Roscommon based, but it would still be cheaper to pay them to come from Roscommon than you from Donegal etc.

it might be worth ringing them and telling them you are willing to travel if you are,and hopefully you get something if you really want it.

No killing sprees, it's just the county I'm from I suppose.

Doc 17 I think you should give them a call in the week or so. The appointment letters for this accepting/rejecting had to be back just before the start of the Easter break. They may have had some rejections and could be eager to get you. It's not uncommon for drop outs closer to the date of the exams too.

Doc 17 I think you should give them a call in the week or so. The appointment letters for this accepting/rejecting had to be back just before the start of the Easter break. They may have had some rejections and could be eager to get you. It's not uncommon for drop outs closer to the date of the exams too.

And if your circumstances allow, tell them you can travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Yes I agree with this. It is a time consuming job with high stress levels.

I'd add terrible pay to that. JC correcting awarded me €5 a script which could take up to an hour to correct. I corrected for the first time last year and I couldn't believe the pressure I was put under (I've worked in high pressure industries before teaching). I made all my deadlines and still I had my supervisor phoning me at anytime from 7am to 11pm, any day of the week except Sunday.

The benefit was the experience I got from correcting my subject; though I had all the experience I needed after a week.

Might not be a popular opinion but I'd never recommend correcting. Take the three months off and enjoy them. The 3 weeks of correcting is a tough, thankless job. It isn't made any easier with the poor rate of pay.

Notorious wrote: »
    I'd add terrible pay to that. JC correcting awarded me €5 a script which could take up to an hour to correct. I corrected for the first time last year and I couldn't believe the pressure I was put under (I've worked in high pressure industries before teaching). I made all my deadlines and still I had my supervisor phoning me at anytime from 7am to 11pm, any day of the week except Sunday.

The benefit was the experience I got from correcting my subject; though I had all the experience I needed after a week.

Might not be a popular opinion but I'd never recommend correcting. Take the three months off and enjoy them. The 3 weeks of correcting is a tough, thankless job. It isn't made any easier with the poor rate of pay.

Well the OP was asking about superintendent for exams which is poorly paid but the OP could be sent to another county (probably Dublin) and be able claim overnights and travel.

Now with relation to correcting, we had discussion a few weeks ago so I'm not going to rehash it here. All I will say is there are benefits to correcting, it won't make you a millionaire but what you gain will help you a lot in the future. If it gets more difficult for the SEC to find examiners, it will soon be part of your job so be careful what you wish for. I've corrected for the last few years, had a lovely examiner with no problems. Not everyone has a bad experience.

Also just wondering what subject you were correcting because I correct a language and don't get much more than that and I would get a lot more done than one per hour. Remember your rate depends on the amount of work that needs correcting hence English examiners receive ~31 per paper.

Ah I won't go begging to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It's worth noting that the travel rates have been cut this year also, although the o/night is rising a little.

http://tui.ie/news-events/revised-rates-for-motor-travel-and-subsistence-.10303.html

It's worth noting that the travel rates have been cut this year also, although the o/night is rising a little.

http://tui.ie/news-events/revised-rates-for-motor-travel-and-subsistence-.10303.html

Instead of printing thousands of glossy leaflets/posters and gave that money to examiners they might not have such a problem recruiting people.

Has anyone received word on where they are being sent this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's usually the Friday before the schools break up so another 3 days probably.

• Advertisement

Got it on the 25th last year so due any day now.

Letter in the post this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Received mine this morning also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Got mine too. Got JC too after specifically requesting it. May be coincidental but I had put on my application & acceptance slip I couldn't commit to LC timetable for childcare reasons. Got a school further away so need to check route on goggle maps but should be doable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I didn't get any letter so must not have found a centre that matched with my conference date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Whats the pay rate for superintending in a special centre out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lucysh

I've been placed in a centre that's going to take me 1.5-2 hours each way to commute to, as i don't have a car (dublin based), and the centre will only be open till the 14th! Really doesn't feel worth my while to take it, do they really mark your name from being appointed in future if you decline the appointment at this point? I thought that I'd be placed somewhere easier to get to since I'm in Dublin!

I got what I asked for ;) delighted!
    Just wondering though about mileage rates?? In the booklet the rates are the old rates.....I have recently marked for sec and the old rates were on the back of the form of account too? I haven't received any money yet though for my marking!

This is the first year I discovered the prd10 form :eek: I should only pay prd at 10% but have always been charged 10.5% as never filled out the form!!! I also rang revenue to move over money for usc as I always get charged 8% where this year it should be 5%! It is only like ?50 in the difference but still ;)
    Also discovered employee prsi on superintending is class j which they told is 0 :)

Does anyone know is everything with the sec the same employment? Eg marking, superintending or if you are a practical teacher and get paid for prep work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does anyone know is everything with the sec the same employment? Eg marking, superintending or if you are a practical teacher and get paid for prep work?

They are separate contracts but all with the one employer code, yes.

• Advertisement

lucysh wrote: »
    I've been placed in a centre that's going to take me 1.5-2 hours each way to commute to, as i don't have a car (dublin based), and the centre will only be open till the 14th! Really doesn't feel worth my while to take it, do they really mark your name from being appointed in future if you decline the appointment at this point? I thought that I'd be placed somewhere easier to get to since I'm in Dublin!

If you give them a good reason they might not hold it against you. I turned down marking one year and still got it the following year. Send them an email and let them know you are using public transport and need somewhere in Dublin. Ask them if they are prepared to put you up in a hotel.

Advertisement