Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder with diabetes

Options
  • 12-04-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Heres the dilemma
    My mother in law minds my kids age 4 and 1.5...she's the best I love her...BUT she minds them on her own..and shes diabetec. She doesn't manage her condition, her blood sugars are hitting 20s now, and she just doesn't care. She doesn't even monitor her bloods and eats anything she wants.

I'm afraid she will either collapse while she is minding them one day (I have my head in the sand about this at the moment)...but I can see her health deteriorate and it's only a matter of time before she's insulin dependent. How do I broach this? She will get defensive..and take offence...but I don't know what to do. I pay her €60 per day to mind the 2 kids and she minds them approx 3 days per week.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You tell her (or your partner does) that you've noticed her health deteriorating and you don't want her having the added stress of minding the two children anymore. Tell her you are in the process of looking for alternative childcare for them.

Whatever way you say it, and however you soften the blow she might be a bit put out. But, at her age she's unlikely to suddenly change and start looking after her condition, and everyday that your kids are with her is every day she could pass out with them there. So you need to weigh up hurting her feelings against your children's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

You don't have any choice. You have to find alternative childcare and very soon.

Advertisement