Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid internship when you have already worked in similar field?

Options
  • 12-04-2017 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I got my masters recently, and have since been looking for work for six months. I have a disability that impacts the types of jobs I can apply for, so that right there cuts out a good lot of the jobs. I have had a few interviews, but had to decline two jobs right after these interviews as it turned out the employers could not work around my disability. One of them simply had an unclear advertisement, while the other confirmed beforehand that it would be no problem, but then asked multiple times at the interview if I could do something that I had already told her twice I couldn't do due to disability. I don't want to waste anyone's time, so was upfront with her beforehand. :(

I recently contacted an employment service for people with disabilities, but they told me that while they will try there isn't much out there for someone like me who apparently is, "very clever", but has such a disability.

Recently, I saw a job advertisement for a paid internship in a field very similar to my previous work experience. However, the internship would involve learning new skills, so it would be something new.

My question is should I apply for it, or will it look bad on my CV to have an internship after I have already had normal employment in a similar field?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any employment looks better than no employment - go for it.

Advertisement