Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Nightclubs

Options
  • 12-04-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey all, apologies if this is in the wrong place. I am probably remembering something that never happened (wishful thinking) but does anywhere open up in the city centre late for an oul dancey bop?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't think so. Some debate on it here, but the consensus seems to be that midnight opening on Good Friday hasn't been a thing for years, if it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Nicoleye

Thanks yeah, I had searched for posts before I started mine just as they are older I thought why not ask again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It wasn't actually legal to begin with so once the spectre of prosecutions arrived it stopped. Club 92 was the last I'm aware of and it may have been fudging it under the racecourse licence which does allow Good Friday

L1011 wrote: »
    It wasn't actually legal to begin with so once the spectre of prosecutions arrived it stopped. Club 92 was the last I'm aware of and it may have been fudging it under the racecourse licence which does allow Good Friday
    Even after midnight?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I guess the rationale is that after midnight is before 10.30am, which is earlier than pub licences allow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I wonder, do bring your own beer bowling be open?

Nicoleye wrote: »
    Even after midnight?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Club 92 used to open at midnight. Always a queue outside. I'm off on the train so that'll do me Good Friday. Not for that purpose but my friend got tickets mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tomango's used to do it to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I thought Coppers used to do it back in the day?
    Can remember drinking in a mates places before getting taxis into town for 11:00 to start the queue!

• Advertisement

It was *very* common. Often opened the doors at 11:30 and had the DJ going, cloakrooms open etc but no bar until midnight. But late licences stopped being given on the basis that it actually wasn't legal, so that ended.

Anywhere open tomorrow night at 12 is open illegally - so I imagine there'll be none.

Wishful thinking ☺️

Noted today that the number of places to get a pint during the day is even markedly down from recent years

Galway Hooker was closed.
    Harolds Cross dogs has closed down
    Leopardstown has no races on, not sure if has done so recently.

Leaving you with Madigans in Connolly, Shelbourne Park dogs, the barge on the Grand Canal or the Airport. All require tickets, if planned in advance the Airport could be the cheapest! Ryanair fiver to somewhere, stay in the main shopping area of the terminal until done and exit by going down Pier A/200s and exiting via the normal security channel.

As well as the Galway Hooker, O'Reillys in Tara Street and the restaurant at Dun Laoghaire station could legally open if they wanted to as they use railway licences, but don't.

All a bit much for a pint, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

The red cow nightclub open every year without fail... think its called BUZZ these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

The Pub's will be open tomorrow if that's any good to you.

The red cow nightclub open every year without fail... think its called BUZZ these days.

Except they aren't. Nowhere is.

They have a "prohibition ending" themed night *tomorrow* night due to being closed tonight

Basically - its a thing of the past as it was never legal to begin with and places eventually gave up. Next year its likely the ban will be gone. Every year there's a thread on this and every year people post places they remember doing it years ago; none of which are actually open.

Noted today that the number of places to get a pint during the day is even markedly down from recent years

Galway Hooker was closed.
    Harolds Cross dogs has closed down
    Leopardstown has no races on, not sure if has done so recently.

Leaving you with Madigans in Connolly, Shelbourne Park dogs, the barge on the Grand Canal or the Airport. All require tickets, if planned in advance the Airport could be the cheapest! Ryanair fiver to somewhere, stay in the main shopping area of the terminal until done and exit by going down Pier A/200s and exiting via the normal security channel.

As well as the Galway Hooker, O'Reillys in Tara Street and the restaurant at Dun Laoghaire station could legally open if they wanted to as they use railway licences, but don't.

No dogs in Shelbourne since mid February. Seems the dog owners are on strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Do clubs and pubs have to close at midnight on the Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

I'm guessing all these places don't think it's worth the hassle.

Do clubs and pubs have to close at midnight on the Thursday?

Yes
    milehip wrote: »
    I'm guessing all these places don't think it's worth the hassle.

No, they're not doing it because it's illegal. There was a widespread belief it wasn't, to the level that district court judges gave late licences. It was realised it wasn't.
    No dogs in Shelbourne since mid February. Seems the dog owners are on strike.

They were advertising that they're open very heavily. I do see "inter track racing" so maybe they're showing races from the other stadia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So the Good Friday alcohol ban lasts more than 24 hours for the majority of pubs/clubs. Strange logic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes

No, they're not doing it because it's illegal. There was a widespread belief it wasn't, to the level that district court judges gave late licences. It was realised it wasn't.

They were advertising that they're open very heavily. I do see "inter track racing" so maybe they're showing races from the other stadia?

THey are showing the races from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Emmhhh OK,but you wrote in your earlier post that they could legally open with their railway licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

So the Good Friday alcohol ban lasts more than 24 hours for the majority of pubs/clubs. Strange logic.

I presume it's because places that are open past midnight on a normal night would be open due to getting an extentsion on their licence/a late licence for that night. Since they can't get an ordinary licence for that night they can't get a late licence to be open past 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Madigans was doing a lot of business yesterday according to the Indo...

I wonder if the Dublin Bay Cruise ship would have been able to sell alcohol when cruising... maybe not, it only covers the same distance as the DART!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

milehip wrote: »
    Emmhhh OK,but you wrote in your earlier post that they could legally open with their railway licence.

Yes, misread and thought you were quoting a different post. My mistake!

Advertisement