Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Cafe 2 week Ban

Options
  • 12-04-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=14267875 Dear AlekSmart,
    You have been banned from Politics Cafe for two weeks for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Stheno

Moderator Note

Alex, as we've reminded you before this is not a discussion on the negatives of Islam, Dundrum burka woman being a "possession" is nothing to do with Eu immigration. Try and keep on topic.

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychomantis
    Seen a full on burqa today in Dundrum, imagine my shock

Why would,or should you,be shocked ?

From my own perspective,it would be a certain sadness,and perhaps pity,that a woman would be required to go to such lengths,in order to satisfy the entirely selfish requirements of a male Dominated and Focused set of Religous beliefs.

I can remember the sensation of freedom and welcome change my late Mother exprienced when,post Vatican 2,the "traditional" requirement for women to cover their heads in a Catholic Church began to be dispensed with.

It was the beginning of my Parents voyage of disconnection from the Catholic Church of their youth,a church which,in my Mothers case particularly,had been directly responsible for a great deal of sadness,loss and lifelong uncertainty.

Little by little,I saw them change,a process which I now know was difficult for them,and which they took many years to accept as positive.

Perhaps someday,your Dundrum Burqa woman,will eventually come to accept that she has been nothing more than a pawn,in a quest to both retain and expand male dominance within her religion...when that day eventually does arrive,I hope you will be around to celebrate with a free woman,rather than a concealed possession.

Now banned for TWO weeks initially for being uncivil,but on reflection,it now appears to be "Ignoring Mod's Instruction"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=14268114
    Re: You have been banned
    That's my mistake it should have been for ignoring mod instruction. I can reverse it and reissue the same ban with ignoring mod instruction as the reason if you wish?

I have agreed with Stheno's suggestion above, that my ban be rescinded,and then immediately reissued unaltered under a different heading,if only to underline the lengths which this Forum's Mod Team now appear to be willing to go,in order to stifle,or actively suppress debate on the issue.

The issue itself,appears to be my responding to some highly dubious posts regarding to wearing of burquas,and addressing a very real Female Rights topic,which is very much intertwined with the significant,and predominantly Islamic,makeup of the post 2015 Mediterranian Mass Migrancy.

It is suggested that mentioning this reality is somewhow incompatible with the broader topic of E.U. Immigration,a suggestion which is not alone untenable,but verging upon simple manipulation of fact.
    You have been banned from Politics Cafe for two weeks for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

I'm assuming that the "other members" I am accused of causing stress to,does not include those "other members" who have indicated their agreement with my posts.

Do the Moderation Team now view the Thread as some form of power-struggle,whereby I am attempting to usurp their position ?

If it is merely a question of my own views,or the moderators interpretation of them,not being in keeping with recent developments in Thread Moderation policy,then simply say so,and request my withdrawal from boards,as opposed to what is now a constant stream of suppressive infractions.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi AlekSmart, the two links you have posted are not working. If you are trying to link to a PM, it's not possible I'm afraid, you'll need to copy and paste the text of the PM into your post.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OK, so can I clarify, are you actually appealing the ban? If so, have you discussed this with Stheno and tried to come to an agreement?

FYI the reason 'uncivil' is often erroneously applied as the ban reason is because when a mod goes to ban someone, they have to choose the reason from a drop-down menu. It defaults to 'uncivil' so if the mod forgets to change it, that's what it stays at.

If you are appealing the ban, and have been unable to reach a resolution with the moderator, please forward or post any PMs exchanged regarding your ban and I will look into it.

Alek I've received your PMs and I also asked Stheno to forward in what she has, and I have received those also.

From what I'm reading there hasn't been an attempt to discuss overturning or reducing the ban, only the "uncivil" bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Toots wrote: »
    Alek I've received your PMs and I also asked Stheno to forward in what she has, and I have received those also.

From what I'm reading there hasn't been an attempt to discuss overturning or reducing the ban, only the "uncivil" bit.

OK,but as you now know my position (as does Stenho),would it not save time to progress from where we are now,rather than recover,already well trodden ground ?
    The core issue for me,appears to be a rather sudden reinterpretation of Thread Policy,which now sees me banned twice in two weeks.

It is alleged that I am "repeatedly" dragging the thread off-topic,as well as introducing the Islamic issue where it is supposedly non-relevant.

The contributors to the Feedback thread are putting it far more succinctly than myself.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

There's a set process for dispute resolution whereby a C Mod can only step in after a user has attempted to resolve the issue with the mod that banned them first.

I know it may seem arbitrary, but it's the same for everybody - please try to resolve it by PM and if that's unsuccessful I'll look into it further.

• Advertisement

Thank you for attempting to resolve this by PM, however seeing as that was unsuccessful, I've had a look into it and to me this seems to be fairly straightforward:

The following mod warning was posted on the thread:
    For Reals wrote: »
    #MOD Warning#
    Lads, I believe this debate re: religion and ones we should or shouldn't treat differently has a long time ago fallen under;

Quote:
    • Repetitive or Flip Flop debating is not allowed. Nobody wants to wade through pages of the same posts being repeated ad nauseam. If your point was not heeded on the second posting why would it be on the tenth? Carrying personal disagreements or spats over to other threads is frowned on.
    Please return to discussing politics as it relates to EU immigration and any policies etc. There are other forums for Religious debate. Of course, please feel free to reference religion as it pertains to any EU policy up for debate.

We get some people do/do not like or trust certain religions. Your opinion is your own and you are welcome to it, but it's been covered ad nauseum.
    Thank you.

Your post below doesn't mention politics as it relates to EU immigration at all, in fact it just seems to be a critique on Islam and how Muslim women are treated.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    Why would,or should you,be shocked ?

From my own perspective,it would be a certain sadness,and perhaps pity,that a woman would be required to go to such lengths,in order to satisfy the entirely selfish requirements of a male Dominated and Focused set of Religous beliefs.

I can remember the sensation of freedom and welcome change my late Mother exprienced when,post Vatican 2,the "traditional" requirement for women to cover their heads in a Catholic Church began to be dispensed with.

It was the beginning of my Parents voyage of disconnection from the Catholic Church of their youth,a church which,in my Mothers case particularly,had been directly responsible for a great deal of sadness,loss and lifelong uncertainty.

Little by little,I saw them change,a process which I now know was difficult for them,and which they took many years to accept as positive.

Perhaps someday,your Dundrum Burqa woman,will eventually come to accept that she has been nothing more than a pawn,in a quest to both retain and expand male dominance within her religion...when that day eventually does arrive,I hope you will be around to celebrate with a free woman,rather than a concealed possession.

You're only just back from a one week ban from the Cafe, and prior to that you've had 3 warnings, 2 infractions and 2 bans. If you continue to break the rules of the Cafe, it's likely any bans you receive will increase in length.

The 'uncivil' reasoning was applied to the ban in error. As I said previously, when a mod bans a user, part of the process is to pick a reason from a drop-down menu. It defaults to 'uncivil' and unfortunately the system doesn't prompt to change it, so occasionally the 'uncivil' reason is applied accidentally.

Having investigated this, I'm upholding your 2 week ban. If you wish, when 1 week has elapsed (tomorrow night) I can rescind the rest of this 2 week ban, and apply a 1 week ban with 'ignored mod instruction' as the reason. You can also request an Admin review of my decision if you are unhappy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Toots wrote: »
    Thank you for attempting to resolve this by PM, however seeing as that was unsuccessful, I've had a look into it and to me this seems to be fairly straightforward:

The following mod warning was posted on the thread:

Your post below doesn't mention politics as it relates to EU immigration at all, in fact it just seems to be a critique on Islam and how Muslim women are treated.

You're only just back from a one week ban from the Cafe, and prior to that you've had 3 warnings, 2 infractions and 2 bans. If you continue to break the rules of the Cafe, it's likely any bans you receive will increase in length.

The 'uncivil' reasoning was applied to the ban in error. As I said previously, when a mod bans a user, part of the process is to pick a reason from a drop-down menu. It defaults to 'uncivil' and unfortunately the system doesn't prompt to change it, so occasionally the 'uncivil' reason is applied accidentally.

Having investigated this, I'm upholding your 2 week ban. If you wish, when 1 week has elapsed (tomorrow night) I can rescind the rest of this 2 week ban, and apply a 1 week ban with 'ignored mod instruction' as the reason. You can also request an Admin review of my decision if you are unhappy with it.

Thank's Toot's,but I can now see that any further "reviews" would be wasting everybody's time.

It is at least somewhat clearer now,that the issue of a Belief Structure governing every aspect of one's life (Including one's Politics) versus straightforward Religious observance,has yet to be understood.

However,I'm sure that,in time,the topic will eventually be discussed openly,even within a "Politics" forum.

Meantime,I'll take my Beatin,and return in a week (With the help of God ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Marking as resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement