Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favorite type of goal?

• 12-04-2017 6:14pm

I doubt I'm alone in marvelling at great counter attacks, intricate team moves, individual runs, screamers and curlers from free kicks and their open-play equivalents, but what is your favorite type of goal?

While some others will make you jump up, some will make you just feel awe at a move that comes off, for me I find the most satisfying is a brilliant diving header. I dunno what it is about it exactly but yeah, that's my favorite. :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A winning goal! :D

Good question, there was something gloriously straightforward (but still tekkers) about Firmino's goal the other day getting onto a punt forward and catching it perfectly but there is also something really nice about the kind of goal that comes after about 30 moves with the entire enterprise balanced on a tightrope of touches and passes - will they find the moment? will they lose possession and get done on the counter? Such drama! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Smokeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rocket of a volley off the underside of the bar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

a goal after a few efforts have been blocked/parried/off the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Phew! Tough question that I don't think I can answer.

Sometime, I think it's a curler into the top corner. Other times a sweetly struck powerful volley. Or it could be an intricate team move or lightning quick counter attack. Or a moment of genius. Or a last minute winner that goes in accidentally off someone's arse... A chip with no backlift?

They're all beautiful in their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Much like Mbappe's goal tonight, going in off his knee before he knew what hit him, goals scored by unsuspecting or unprepared players. This might be the best example of:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

callaway92 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Technically, I love a quick counter-attacking goal or solo goals where the player goes past a few players with skill and quick thinking while running at great speed before cooly sliding it home. Maradona against England, Messi against Bilbao or Getafe, Owairan against Belgium, that kinda thing. Team goals with great build up are nice to watch but can be less exciting if they drag on. Ones that show incredible individual skill and decision making, like Bergkamp against Argentina or Ronaldinho against Chelsea.

Emotionally, last minute winners are great but I also love a long-range belter where you're left wondering how it got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A goal that has a handball and an offside in a build up in the 90th+ minute against your bitter rivals! :D

But seriously. I love fast paced counter attacking goals that have only a few passes in the build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

L1 + square from 30-35 yards out, circle at the back post with either an instep volley or bullet header

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

No matter who u support , you cant dislike a goal like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Favourite type of goal?? Any that's scored against Liverpool, City, Chelsea or Arsenal, except when it's scored by any of them 4 teams, then it gets complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it has to smoosh the net too, but yeah, in-offs are the best, it's the noise they make.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    A goal that has a handball and an offside in a build up in the 90th+ minute against your bitter rivals! :D

you may be having a laugh, but there IS something absolutely brilliant about a goal that causes salty, salty tears.

Tony Yeboah liked them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Goals scored by Shels. That's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pass, pass, pass, pass, slow stroll, pass, pass, pass, SPRINT, pass, SPRINT, GOAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

LOVE through balls. Noting better than seeing a 4 man defence being unlocked by a single pass to a striker with a perfectly timesd run. Racing toward a keeper only to dink it over him, side foot it into the net, round him or simply BLAST IT HOME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Player takes the ball in midfield and beats players on his way to scoring. I also love a shot from outside the box with curl on it, one that hits the top corner and you've no doubt it was meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

A shot that smashes off the underside of the bar and in. Bonus points if the noise as it hits the bar is picked up by the mic. Sooo satisfying.

Or when a team that has been clinging on to result and have been camped in their own area score a breakaway goal in the last minute. It's particularly dramatic if the keeper was up for a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I love goals that you can see coming a mile off, but know the player has to catch it perfectly. Volleys like this by Jan Schlaudraff.

QONVIyz.gif

Paul Scholes v Villa was also a brilliant one. Off the bar and in.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Oat23 wrote: »
    I love goals that you can see coming a mile off, but know the player has to catch it perfectly. Volleys like this by Jan Schlaudraff.

That reminded me of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Perfectly struck free kicks are incredibly satisfying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

While the 40 yard screamers are obviously joyous to watch, chipped goals are my personal favourite, there is something so cheeky about them. Alot of the long range efforts would have an element of luck to them but a deft chip is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

A well executed one touch finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

A piece of individual skill to dink it over/around a defender before burying it past the keeper.
    [will insert a Matt LeTisser example later]

If it is at the end of a blistering counter attack even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

you may be having a laugh, but there IS something absolutely brilliant about a goal that causes salty, salty tears.

Like this? :cool:

exactly like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Tony Yeboah liked them too.

that's exactly who I was thinking..his two rockets of a goal..I love the one against the pool but the one against Wimbledon? Sheer class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

I love a good header that is important for the team see Sergio Ramos header against Ateltico Madrid in the 2014 champions league final
    [URL] https://youtu.be/L5wFbWzoFFw [/URL]

I also love the goal that Gerrard scored against Olympiakos in 2004, what a hit that was
    [URL] https://youtu.be/u3l-sdU9d0E [/URL]

And then obviously it's great when you see goals going in from the halfway line
    https://youtu.be/gc_WmJZ6Nrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

LOVE through balls. Noting better than seeing a 4 man defence being unlocked by a single pass to a striker with a perfectly timesd run. Racing toward a keeper only to dink it over him, side foot it into the net, round him or simply BLAST IT HOME.

Lampard through to Ramires who dinks it over the Barca keeper (UCL semi 2012).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Buttonftw wrote: »
    I doubt I'm alone in marvelling at great counter attacks, intricate team moves, individual runs, screamers and curlers from free kicks and their open-play equivalents, but what is your favorite type of goal?

While some others will make you jump up, some will make you just feel awe at a move that comes off, for me I find the most satisfying is a brilliant diving header. I dunno what it is about it exactly but yeah, that's my favorite. :P
    This Italian one against England from 1976.
    https://youtu.be/Y6cv_OSsPZ0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Philippe Albert against United. Anybody chipping the keeper anytime. Lobbing the keeper. Van persie lobbed the keeper with a diving header.

Lobs

Bicycle kicks are often dramatic. But usually it's a case of sticking a leg on the end of a cross that is out swinging anyway. The greats are ones where the ball comes at a bad angle, so the player has to generate all the power and precision. The ones where you think, even if he was standing on that spot with the ball at his feet, it would have been hard to beat the keeper. Like this...

• Advertisement
Advertisement