Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treats for visiting kiddies

Options
  • 12-04-2017 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have some small kids who visit us regularly on an ad hoc basis. They are 4 and 5 years old.

Whenever they come they are used to now getting biscuits as part of the visit. This is fine with us and does not cause any concern.

However, it was mentioned by one of the parents that the kids are getting too much sweet food in their opinion and they are trying to cut it back. I'm not sure if this was aimed at us as a sly comment - I don't think it was.

I would like to know what healthy subsitutues there are for kids which they would enjoy in lieu of biscuits which we could give them? It would have to be non perishable.

We're trying to thread the line between disappointing the kids by having nothing suitable for them to eat and annoying the parents by giving them biscuits.

Although, it should be said when the mammy visited us when she was younger, heathly snacks were not high up her list of desires ;)

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

You could always give them a pack of bubbles or stickers? I know that I prefer give my kids a treat but with grandparents and school they are getting so many we feel we cannot give them one as it is nearly every day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My lot love strawberries and blueberries and they are as good as any sweet treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Popcorn? I agree re the strawberries, but I know the OP said they needed to be non-perishable.,

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Fresh fruit would probably be the least objectionable, non-perishable options could be:
    Bread sticks
    Crackers with butter/cheese/hummus
    Rice cakes
    Yogurt might be considered too sugary, but you can freeze it and then it's like ice cream to kids (frubes/yogurt tubes are ideal)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

What about dried fruits like mangos or apricots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Pencils, rubbers, crayons etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

A packet of balloons so you can give them one each time.

Yoghurt/ chocolate rice cakes are generally considered healthier than biscuits (not really much difference IMO )
    Bread sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I'm not sure if this was aimed at us as a sly comment - I don't think it was

As a parent in a similar situation myself (i.e. too many sweets etc.) I would not think that this comment was aimed personally towards yourself at all; i.e. if it's only a few biscuits from time to time during a visit then I would be fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pizza, fresh from the freezer, cooks itself and will never be rejected by 4 & 5 year olds. Parents can have a slice too to confirm temperature and taste preferences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Sugarsnap peas!

• Advertisement
Advertisement