Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citizenship by residence

• 12-04-2017 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all.
    I ve got a question type of that:
    My wife came to ireland 2004 and lived till 2010. She is eu citizen.
    In 2010 she left the ireland and again came back in 2013 and currently lives here.it comes that she has a 3 years gap between 2010 and 2013.
    Is she eligeble for irish citizenship? Are prevous years from 2004 to 2010 counted as a reckonable residence or not?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If the OP is an Irish citizen, then the spouse only needs "3 years out of the last 5 years, including 1 year of continuous residence immediately before the date you apply"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Nope.

5 years continuous is needed. She can apply next year.

Incorrect. The INCA requires one year's continuous residence immediately before the application for naturalisation plus four of the previous eight years of lawful residence.

Your wife might qualify, she should get legal advice from an experienced immigration lawyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Incorrect. The INCA requires one year's continuous residence immediately before the application for naturalisation plus four of the previous eight years of lawful residence.

Your wife might qualify, she should get legal advice from an experienced immigration lawyer

Not exactly correct, it might only be 3 out of 5 if the OP is Irish Citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I was pointing out the post above mine was incorrect. There is nothing in the OP's post that sugggests he is an Irish citizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'm living and working in Ireland 22 years and married to an Irish woman. Would i still need to apply and pay the fee and go to the ceremony at the convention centre.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I'm living and working in Ireland 22 years and married to an Irish woman. Would i still need to apply and pay the fee and go to the ceremony at the convention centre.?

Yes, can I wonder why you think you may not?

I just want an Irish passport to make it easier to renew to go with my Irish wife and my Irish son and my Irish driving licence. Paying 3 grand for a piece of paper can never replace your nationality. The 20 years of tax I've paid should be some sort of a sweetener on the deal :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

I just want an Irish passport to make it easier to renew to go with my Irish wife and my Irish son and my Irish driving licence. Paying 3 grand for a piece of paper can never replace your nationality. The 20 years of tax I've paid should be some sort of a sweetener on the deal :-).

It does not cost 3k it is €175 application fee, €950 naturalisation fee then €80 if I remember for the passport.

Naturalisation is not a right it's a gift of the Irish people. There is no real advantage to a EU citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Yes I'm afraid so. Unless you have a parent or a grandparent who is/was an Irish citizen?

Lol your taxes have paid for all the public services you enjoy every day and they wouldn't cover the processing of your application to be considered an Irish citizen too!

infogiver wrote: »
    Lol your taxes have paid for all the public services you enjoy every day and they wouldn't cover the processing of your application to be considered an Irish citizen too!

What public services that i enjoy? I don't want to be Irish, i just want them to say " listen, fair play to you for sticking it out this long through the good and bad times, you are one of us now, here's a passport keep up the good work :-) " or something like that. They keep sending me out polling cards for every election and referendum so they must think I'm Irish even though i state otherwise on the forms :-).

infogiver wrote: »
    Yes I'm afraid so. Unless you have a parent or a grandparent who is/was an Irish citizen?

If i was allowed to go back a few generations then i might be ok :-). On a side note, if i ever got stuck abroad I'd be first inclined to seek help from an Irish embassy etc rather than what's on my passport as Ireland's my home and it's not going to change. I can even say the rosary :-).

What public services that i enjoy? I don't want to be Irish, i just want them to say " listen, fair play to you for sticking it out this long through the good and bad times, you are one of us now, here's a passport keep up the good work :-) " or something like that. They keep sending me out polling cards for every election and referendum so they must think I'm Irish even though i state otherwise on the forms :-).

It's always amazing to me that people think that schools and hospitals are built and maintained at no cost and doctors and teachers and Gardai and nurses and all public servants work without needing to be paid but that's not what this thread is about.
    Lots of people are refused Irish citizenship because of serious criminal convictions they have amassed.
    This makes sense, don't you agree?
    If you've come to live here and you repeatedly flout our rules and laws then you don't deserve to get Irish citizenship.
    You can't just say that you've lived here for 5 years either. You could be lying through your teeth
    Obviously you have to prove it by sending in documentary evidence
    All this information has to be processed and the person who processes it has to be paid, so the cost to you of that is approx €1000.

Jeez, I'm not lying and haven't repeatedly flouted the laws either :-). I just want to give up my other passport as it's a hassle to renew and get an Irish one the same way i did with my driving licence. I don't want to change my nationality on it.

Jeez, I'm not lying and haven't repeatedly flouted the laws either :-). I just want to give up my other passport as it's a hassle to renew and get an Irish one the same way i did with my driving licence. I don't want to change my nationality on it.

You can't have an Irish passport unless your an Irish citizen.
    I can't understand why you would think that becoming an Irish citizen would be as cheap and easy as applying for a drivers licence.
    are non national residents in your country of origin permitted to apply for citizenship with no questions asked for the same price as a drivers licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I just want an Irish passport . . .
    I don't want to be Irish . . .
    And there's your problem right there. The only way to qualify for an Irish passport is to be, or become, an Irish citizen. (The same goes for every other country in the world, pretty much.) You either do, or do not, wish to be an Irish citizen. Either way is fine, but at some point you're going to have to make up your mind.

You have a problem, I think, if the country of your current nationality has restrictive citizenship laws, and would revoke your current citizenship if you become naturalised in Ireland. But if that's not the case, I really think this is a no-brainer. You've lived here for decades; you have an Irish spouse and an Irish son; your home is here; you pay Irish taxes and live under Irish laws; you tell us that you would even seek Irish consular protection, if you needed it; given all that, why would you not want to engage with and contribute to the country as a citizen?

But, as I say, this is your call, not mine. If your reasons for not wishing to become a citizen are good enough for you, then they're good enough, full stop. But in that case your inability to obtain an Irish passport is the consequence of the choice you make for reasons that are good to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

There is absolutely no need for an immigration lawyer. It's a simple enough though there's a lot of paperwork.

Advertisement