Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from a sports to naked

• 12-04-2017 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

I don't want to start another what bike thread but I'm looking to change from a 02 cbr6f to a f800r. I've been on sports for most of my riding life a d fancy a bit of a change.
    Just wondering what people's opinions are of these, mainly in terms of weather protection and comfort. Commute is a 70km run down the n11, normally in good weather.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm 6ft with a long torso and do 30km each way year round on a naked 700, half of which is on the N11/M11.

Wind blast isn't an issue from a pressure point of view, as the total lack of screen means the force is evenly distributed so I just lean forward to counterbalance it. I think screens can cause problems with neck ache as they move the centre of pressure up to your head.

I've also had absolutely no problems with crosswinds on the move despite commuting Mon-Thu all winter even with wind warnings, which I suspect may be due to the smaller side profile or maybe it's a steering geometry issue (although haven't ridden a sportsbike to compare). Still get rocked about at traffic lights though.

What is a problem is the cold. That volume of cold air flowing over your body at 100+ kph means you have to be absolutely obsessive about wind protection. Any bit of porosity is punished mercilessly. 15 degrees is fine. 10 degrees is tolerable. 5 degrees is really tough, particularly if damp.

Rain isn't a problem as it generally comes with higher temperatures.

I could probably improve things with textile clothing or use the rain suit I have in the basement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you're commuting on the motorway you'll need a faired or half faired bike. I much prefer the look and feel of naked bikes but I don't have one because 50% of my commute is over 100kph. 70km is a long distance with high speeds and no wind protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I guess you can always stick a touring screen on a naked but then have you ruined it?

I found some aero testing data from PUIG (not independent)

Aero data: http://www.puig.tv/descargas/PUIG23657.pdf

Source: http://www.puig.tv/tuning-bikes/yamaha-mt-10-2016/touring-screen/c171en/f1-r19-m7093/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Get a quick release screen if there is one and it's win-win ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Can't believe how long ago this was already...

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2056231985

And btw.....We now have one. Kinda. A GS. Great bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

galwaytt wrote: »

Cheers, i had the 650gs before, do you find much difference in headwind on the legs between the GS and the R. Does the tank protect you much from the elements.

On the legs ?

The GS is better, but only slightly. The GS still needs an aftermarket taller screen if that's an issue.

Outside of that the F800GT is a more touring styled version, but I'd describe them as semi-faired: they're no RT.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I've had a look at the st aswell, the GT, is out of my price range though. While the st seems nearly perfect, it's a bit to talk but a lower seat may make it a bit more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

galwaytt wrote: »

Thanks for the link - missed this first time round and enjoyed reading it now. Did it give you the idea for the later grand tour?

Advertisement