Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Athlone

• 12-04-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I have recently moved to Athlone and it looks like this is the place we are going to settle down, at least for another good few years. For this reason, we have decided to buy a house here.

I have been browsing through different offers and it seems that the houses on the Roscommon side tend to be more affordable. There are some interesting options in the areas of Monksland and Bealnamulla, as well as a number of properties in the River Village. There are also some new houses in Rosard. As we don't really know that many people here (yet), I would appreciate if anyone could provide some information of what these areas are like. In your opinion, would these be the types of places for a family with children to settle down? I will be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Whatever you do, don't buy on the far side of Athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Welcome to Athlone. The Roscommon side of the town around Monksland and Bealnamullia is an up and coming area, lots of relatively new estates with young families. Tbh there are very few areas to avoid. Plenty of amenities in the area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Qboot

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't buy on the far side of Athlone.

Thanks for the warning, the far side is the area comprising Willow Park and areas surrounding AIT, right? This is probably a silly question but I really don't know that much about the town.
    Welcome to Athlone. The Roscommon side of the town around Monksland and Bealnamullia is an up and coming area, lots of relatively new estates with young families. Tbh there are very few areas to avoid. Plenty of amenities in the area too.

Thank you Kenneth. This is good news, as the properties on offer there at the moment really seem interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The houses on the Roscommon side are cheaper and there is a well developed community out there, served well by shops, facilties etc. However, the reason why we bought a house near town was to be near schools and transport hubs etc so not to be reliant on the car/one bus route for everything.
    There are still affordable 'doer-uppers' in central areas like Beechpark, Sli an Aifrinn, and Coosan.
    If you don't have kids or don't mind driving, I would recommend living outside of town even, in one of the close villages - you can get more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Qboot

Rasmus wrote: »
    The houses on the Roscommon side are cheaper and there is a well developed community out there, served well by shops, facilties etc. However, the reason why we bought a house near town was to be near schools and transport hubs etc so not to be reliant on the car/one bus route for everything.
    There are still affordable 'doer-uppers' in central areas like Beechpark, Sli an Aifrinn, and Coosan.
    If you don't have kids or don't mind driving, I would recommend living outside of town even, in one of the close villages - you can get more space.

Thank you Rasmus. This is very helpful. I have looked around Coosan but the prices seem to have gone up considerably in that area in the last 6 months. But there are some interesting options farther away towards the Coosan Point as well. We don't want to be too far from the town – I guess Monksland to the West and Woodville to the North would be as far as we are prepared to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement