Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a whole cooked chicken be frozen?

Options
  • 12-04-2017 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Just cooked one. Can't eat today. Do I need to strip the meat off the bones or can I wrap in it in tinfoil and put the entire thing in the freezer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Just cooked one. Can't eat today. Do I need to strip the meat off the bones or can I wrap in it in tinfoil and put the entire thing in the freezer?

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

grogi wrote: »
    Why not?

I read that the bones can make the chicken taste different but I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Will you eat it tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes you can freeze it. Done by chicken processors the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I read that the bones can make the chicken taste different but I don't believe it.

More crunchy...

I would split it into chunks you can eat at once, and freeze them. Depends how big the bird is....

• Advertisement

Will you eat it tomorrow?

Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Cut it up and freeze it in separate chunks,100% safe

Cut it up and freeze it in separate chunks,100% safe

I know I can do that but doing that wastes meat - as in I'd have to strip the legs, whereas if the entire chicken goes into the freezer, there's no waste of meat or effort.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Unless you plan to gnaw the meat off the whole carcass, you're going to have to strip the meat off the bones at some point. Before or after freezing doesn't make a difference, but doing it after just delays the "effort", no?

Edited to add: I think portioning it makes the most sense. Remove the legs and wings, cut up the breasts, dump the rest of the carcass and freeze the meat parts. Easier to defrost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »

, dump the rest of the carcass.

Wash your mouth out for suggesting such a crime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I eat the meat and freeze the bones, until I have enough to be worth cooking up. This would not be a full chicken, if I get wings from the chinese I would do it, I first started so as not to have a stinky bin, our black bin rarely goes out so I did not want stinking bins attracting rats or dogs or foxes.

I would not freeze a cooked chicken, I would be eating it soon enough after that the fridge would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I too would advise portioning it before freezing it. This would mean you wouldn't have to thaw the entire chicken for just a couple of portions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Jesus christ, don't dump the carcass, use it for chicken stock or a chicken soup. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wash your mouth out for suggesting such a crime!

Into a stock pot, is clearly what I meant... :pac: :o.

That reminds me, I have 3 chicken carcasses in the freezer that need to be made into stock!

Advertisement