Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG unauthorised transaction

Options
  • 12-04-2017 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I was checking my credit card account and noticed a transaction of 78.99 to AVG. I didn't buy any anti virus last week but may have done in the past. On a cursory Google I read that it's possible to have an automatic renewal but I don't rem ever setting this up nor spending so much on anti virus as I don't normally spend more than 30 odd euro / year.

Is the above possible? Thanks. Just seeking experiences before contacting AVG. It was via PayPal so was v surprised I could have a rolling subscription like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

As far as I know, if you take out an AV licence, there is an automatic renewal presumption attached to that licence and it is a matter for you to access your account and uncheck the relevant box in the renewal options section. I presume this is what happened in your case? I consider this practice totally inappropriate as very often, AV companies attract customers with discounted introductary offers for Y1, but upon renewal this reverts to a totally inflated amount. You have the option of contacting the AV company for a refund within 30 days (I think) from date of renewal transaction. From their perspective, I guess that if 25% of customers failed to exercise their rights, it forms a handy revenue stream!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

Maidhci wrote: »
    As far as I know, if you take out an AV licence, there is an automatic renewal presumption attached to that licence and it is a matter for you to access your account and uncheck the relevant box in the renewal options section. I presume this is what happened in your case? I consider this practice totally inappropriate as very often, AV companies attract customers with discounted introductary offers for Y1, but upon renewal this reverts to a totally inflated amount. You have the option of contacting the AV company for a refund within 30 days (I think) from date of renewal transaction. From their perspective, I guess that if 25% of customers failed to exercise their rights, it forms a handy revenue stream!

Looks like this is what happened. Annoying.

Omg. I don't use AVG . It's Avast! Credit card cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Kate253 wrote: »
    Omg. I don't use AVG . It's Avast! Credit card cancelled.

That was a bit of a drastic reaction. :eek:

All you need to do is get the credit card issuer to instigate a chargeback and then cancel the direct debit authority from Avast on your account. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That was a bit of a drastic reaction. :eek:

All you need to do is get the credit card issuer to instigate a chargeback and then cancel the direct debit authority from Avast on your account. :rolleyes:

Does she not mean the charge was for AVG, except that's not the software she uses, which is Avast, meaning her card is compromised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure AVG stands for AVG Security? Irish banks tend to give pretty obscure payee references.

Spear wrote: »
    Does he not mean the charge was for AVG, except that's not the software he uses, which is Avast, meaning his card is compromised?

Yes. Thank you.

ED E wrote: »
    Are you sure AVG stands for AVG Security? Irish banks tend to give pretty obscure payee references.

Well it was 78.99 which would be a steep fee or charge but when I rang bank they did not fess up to it being the bank but recommended cancelling the card. I wasn't going to argue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Kate253 wrote: »
    Yes. Thank you.

And that should been her, not he, didn't read the username too closely.

Advertisement