Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Leinster Challenge 2017

• 12-04-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just a heads up that entry for the Mount Leinster Challenge 2017 will open this weekend. The route has been tweaked a bit to make it even more of a challenge with the longer 150km ride now tackling Mount Leinster three times from three different directions. More details and route entry links will be posted on the Slaney CC website and here at the weekend. The MLC takes place on Saturday May 20th.

414466.JPG

414467.JPG

414468.JPG

414469.JPG

414470.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ahhhh....balderdash!

Just checked my calendar and I'm busy that weekend. Would have loved to do the Mount Leinster triple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    ... Would have loved to do the Mount Leinster triple!
    Is that 3 times up to the mast? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Is that 3 times up to the mast? :eek:

The MLC climbs to the Nine Stones car park/viewing point before descending again. The road to the mast, while accessible, is a private road from the Nine Stones and not included in this ride. It's an incredibly tough climb but would present significant safety issues with riders ascending and descending at the same time on the narrow steep road.

The new 150km route will be tough enough without the mast!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Any link to the route MichaelD, don't see anything on the Slaney CC site? I've family living near the the 9 strones so might give this a bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I did this last year and it was brilliant. Tough enough with two passes of Mount Leinster, three times will be a serious ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Miklos wrote: »
    I did this last year and it was brilliant. Tough enough with two passes of Mount Leinster, three times will be a serious ask!

Yes but you are a Criterium champ now so should be no bother.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

SCC put on a great show and day out ... Gotta love the Corrubut "Oh Jaysus" Gap!!

Some more details, entry link to follow over the weekend. Its the Ultimate Mount Leinster Challenge!

414611.jpg

414612.jpg

Routes:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1486856764

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1486046329

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Looking forward to this one, In for the 145 ðŸ˜႒

Slaney CC have recce'd the two new routes over the last two weekends. Have a look below. Some serious climbing ahead!

105km
    https://www.relive.cc/view/973447157

145km
    https://www.relive.cc/view/984565763

http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/mount-leinster-145km-spin-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

MichealD wrote: »
    Slaney CC have recce'd the two new routes over the last two weekends. Have a look below. Some serious climbing ahead!
    /

Do ye know what time is the sign-on open from?
    (unusual question I know :o, just I can't get breakfast in BnB until a bit later than I'd like so I was gonna pop up and sign on if it was open early enough so I have that outta the way)

Hi Andy, we be on site from earlier but leave it unit about 7.30 ish to get sign on tables up. There are no long queues to worry about if you have registered, just find you name and sign. There's plenty of free coffee and a bun on hand from about 8am. And a madman playing music and waking the neighbours.

Weather playing ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Feck that was tough.

Well done folks great event big thanks to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I'll sleep well this evening. Blessed with the weather, apparently it was a bit wet in Dublin!!

Great route and event. Thanks to all in Slaney CC and their helpers for all the work.

We had a great day putting on the MLC this year. We think the 145km is now amongst the toughest in Ireland but you guys seem to love it!

There are hundreds of pictures online from;

Sean Rowe
    https://www.facebook.com/sean.rowe.545/media_set?set=a.10213603546427532.1073742722.1369415804&type=3&pnref=story

John Busher

https://www.facebook.com/john.busher.7/media_set?set=a.1397199706985196.1073742110.100000855394851&type=3&pnref=story

Hope you can find yourselves in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

We had a great day putting on the MLC this year. We think the 145km is now amongst the toughest in Ireland but you guys seem to love it!

Thanks to everyone at Slaney CC for putting on [yet another]great day out! Well marshalled as always, great route! Popped my head into the kitchen to say thanks to all the great cooks (when I eventually managed to convince myself that 'I really should stop eating and leave now')

The guys at the top of ML were great too - really helped to have the food/water there each time!

Was a great pace out of town and all the way right to the base of the first ascent which I hadn't climbed before, so that was a great addition to the event. The 2nd and 3rd times I was all too familiar with though!
    That was the first time I had descended down into Bunclody....hit about 75km/h on some of them 'steps' but coming back up I was at about 7.5km/h! ha! redface.png

andy69 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone at Slaney CC for putting on [yet another]great day out! Well marshalled as always, great route! Popped my head into the kitchen to say thanks to all the great cooks (when I eventually managed to convince myself that 'I really should stop eating and leave now')

The guys at the top of ML were great too - really helped to have the food/water there each time!

Was a great pace out of town and all the way right to the base of the first ascent which I hadn't climbed before, so that was a great addition to the event. The 2nd and 3rd times I was all too familiar with though!
    That was the first time I had descended down into Bunclody....hit about 75km/h on some of them 'steps' but coming back up I was at about 7.5km/h! ha! redface.png

Thanks for the feedback Andy. Glad you enjoyed the day. That new first ascent, The Dying Sow, is a short steep climb to try and soften you up just as you hit the base of the mountain!!

Incidentally fair play to the two riders from Park Wheelers who added in a climb to the mast and back after getting to the top of the mountain the third time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Incidentally fair play to the two riders from Park Wheelers who added in a climb to the mast and back after getting to the top of the mountain the third time!

20170520_145844_zpsv0jf6qom.jpg

Cheers MichaelD, I was one of the two (photo evidence above). All in Park Wheelers agreed that it was a great event. Chapeau!

Advertisement