Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown Thomas discounts (I'm not talking about loyalty cards)

• 12-04-2017 10:54pm
    Site Banned Posts: 32

Ever since I was handed a 10% discount by a woman who sort of fondled me, I've been hooked on trying to get a discount each time I pop by. On average, I seem to manage to get a discount every second time. I've noticed that they're a lot more likely to give the 10% discount in the Dublin store (at least in one particular section of it). A bit harder in Cork though, where I'm based. Are they pretending that they can't give these out? It does usually seem to be given by some what senior staff member when it happens. I have noticed that with more expensive items, they'll give the discount on condition that you can't return it!

Anecdotes:

The lady today was getting a bit too pushy when trying to sell me something that I already wanted. With such contempt it's not much of a surprise that she denied me a discount from her, saying "oh it's only if you were spending like a €1,000 that we'd be allowed to give discounts". It wasn't about the garment. I wanted to feel special. I happened to be passing on the way home, popped in and got a 10% discount from a different member. He said "10% is all they're allowed to give".

Another time, I was buying a pair of shoes for €340. The gentleman I was dealing with didn't knew I'd had my eye on them for a while, but he didn't happen to be the one doing the transaction at the til. I asked the girl at the til, and she apparently went to ask the said gentleman who said 'no'. So when I changed my mind and only bought a cheaper item along with it, that gentleman found me elsewhere in the store shortly after, with some story about how he'd just been onto his manager and she gave approval for the discount!

Anyone any tricks up their sleeves for getting discounts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im in Brown Thomas in Dublin atleast once a month and have never been offered a discount, do you just ask for one? Is it that simple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Im in Brown Thomas in Dublin atleast once a month and have never been offered a discount, do you just ask for one? Is it that simple?

The only people authorised to give discount in BT are those with preclearance on their till login and each discount has to be justified. I imagine the OP is either purchasing from a concession, is a high spending regular, a particular brand needed to meet target or they're telling a fib!

A few places allow staff to give 10% if the spend is above a certain limit and units per transaction but this is mostly in stand alone stores of higher end highstreet stores and once again has to be justified.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 NeverTheLess

Scraggs wrote: »
    I imagine the OP is either purchasing from a concession, is a high spending regular, a particular brand needed to meet target
    A lot of that doesn't really make sense. They certainly wouldn't recognise me in there. What do you mean by concession? Do u mean items that are nearly out of stock?
    or they're telling a fib
    you cynic you!
    A few places allow staff to give 10% if the spend is above a certain limit and units per transaction but this is mostly in stand alone stores of higher end highstreet stores and once again has to be justified.
    BT tell the whole "oh it's only with large purchasing values" thing, yet within the last year, I got discounts on two garments that were circa €100!

Im in Brown Thomas in Dublin at least once a month and have never been offered a discount, do you just ask for one? Is it that simple?
    Try asking a senior member when no other staff are in hear shot. Try a little persuasion and if they say no consider asking another member at a different time. If it's worth the inconvenience!

Having said that, I might have had a strike of luck recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Staff generally dont give out discounts, and all have to be approved by a manager, same as refunds. If you do try for a discount, sale associates are limited to giving about 10%, managers can decide what they feel is appropriate. Most discounts will only be given if there is a slight fault/scuff/scratch on the product, or if it is last of it's kind i.e. last in stock. Really does depend on who serves you/what you're buying.

• Advertisement

dizzyn wrote: »
    all have to be approved by a manager If you do try for a discount, sale associates are limited to giving about 10%
    Yeah but I don't seem to see the sales associates getting approval from the manager!

I did hear a staff member say a long time ago, that they're no longer allowed to give em out, because they were abused. But who knows what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

They're not supposed to give them out, that's the thing. There has to be a reason for the discount, and they're very discrete too.

dizzyn wrote: »
    They're not supposed to give them out, that's the thing. There has to be a reason for the discount, and they're very discrete too.
    I like a challenge!

Last time I got one, it was when the store was closing. Might have had something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I like a challenge!

Don't get me wrong, I like to get a bargain but this attitude really annoys me! It's not a challenge, it's bullying a salesperson that is prob on a pretty basic wage & has a target to hit... You have obviously never worked in a retail environment?

Don't get me wrong, I like to get a bargain but this attitude really annoys me! It's not a challenge, it's bullying a salesperson that is prob on a pretty basic wage & has a target to hit... You have obviously never worked in a retail environment?
    And there's my motivation! knowing that I work harder, and for less than they do.

"oh the poor things - they've got to make a decision on the spot". Shut up!

• Advertisement

And there's my motivation! knowing that I work harder, and for less than they do.

"oh the poor things - they've got to make a decision on the spot". Shut up!

WOW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If you want discount designer goods then an outlet would be a way cheaper option then trying to haggle for a 10% discount in a luxury store.

But maybe you just enjoy being difficult with people who have to be nice to you because that's their job??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ease up on the sniping, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I would have thought people who shopped regularly in BT wouldn't be needing a discount if im honest. If you can afford to shop there, you shouldn't need to bully staff to give you a 10% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Ashbx wrote: »
    I would have thought people who shopped regularly in BT wouldn't be needing a discount if im honest. If you can afford to shop there, you shouldn't need to bully staff to give you a 10% discount.

What the point in having money if you can't use it to abuse retail staff???

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ashbx wrote: »

Everybody loves a discount, even those that shop in BT. I would have the money to spend there, but if there's a 10% discount on offer or a sale, I'm even happier. After all "take care of the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"

I wouldn't chase staff looking for a discount though when it's not advertised, as I know they are limited in what they can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I lived in Dublin for years and would have been in Brown Thomas on Grafton Street every payday (the good old days) and I was never offered a discount.
    I've bought a whole load of handbags and wallets and sunglasses from there and would have dealt with the same salesperson multiple times but still was never offered a discount.
    I'm always buying make up in there and never offered a discount.
    It doesn't really bother me though. When I'm planning to shop in there, I have my budget planned out well in advance so I know how much I'm going to spend.

I know if you don't ask, you don't get but hassling someone for a 10% discount (if it was 20% or 25% maybe) just seems a bit desperate.

dudara wrote: »
    I wouldn't chase staff looking for a discount though when it's not advertised, as I know they are limited in what they can offer.
    Where's the fun in that?

Well, I don't think I've learned much here.

Alright ladies, I'll be loving ye and leaving ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Where's the fun in that?

No....you chose not to learn anything here. Most people might take a look at themselves and realise that if most other people on this thread thought it was a bit aggressive to hound staff like that, then maybe its not the right thing to do.

But you be you! Best of luck getting your discounts OP!

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Dance away the tears

Okay, I see things got a bit heated here, and went off topic but anyway!
    It's not a challenge, it's bullying a salesperson that is prob on a pretty basic wage & has a target to hit... You have obviously never worked in a retail environment?
    Where do you draw the line with that argument though? I'd have thought it's fair game!

For example, I often try and get a discount off my insurance by pretending I got a better deal, etc. Now should I take the view, that the call center agents are working very hard jobs and therefore have pity for them?

Look, everyone thinks their job is hard. It sounds like the OP isn't earning a huge amount himself.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 Dance away the tears

Where's the fun in that?

Yep, I might ask for a discount next time there. There's no harm in asking! Thanks for advice.

I think you've had enough of being encouraged to not think outside the box!

Okay, I see things got a bit heated here, and went off topic but anyway!
    Where do you draw the line with that argument though? I'd have thought it's fair game!

For example, I often try and get a discount off my insurance by pretending I got a better deal, etc. Now should I take the view, that the call center agents are working very hard jobs and therefore have pity for them?

Look, everyone thinks their job is hard. It sounds like the OP isn't earning a huge amount himself.

Insurance is a completely different ball game though... & not an area I'd like to work in!!

My issue isn't with the op asking for a discount, it was with her seeing is as a challenge & pushing a sales person for a discount, then going off to harass another staff member if she doesn't get what she wants, that's just bad form.

I totally agree, there is no harm in asking. Pushing it is where I draw the line!

Advertisement