Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relocate a public lamppost in a new development

• 12-04-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Just put down a deposit on a new home and found out that there is a lamppost (6m in height) right in front of the house on their "public lighting layout plan" on city council planning permission site.
    :confused:
    Is it possible to ask the developer (I am not sure who should I approach to first) to amend the plan and relocated elsewhere (see the 'X' point). The reason I want it to relocated is 1. it straight in front of my door (and the path is narrow and so the lamppost will be only a few meters away from the door). 2.the lighting coming from the light will be quite distract sleeping as two bedrooms on the front of the house. 3. the lighting layout plan didn't looks right (see the other image attached), there is big gap between P4 and P5, also P4 and P6 is quite close. maybe P6 can be totally removed.

So, is it likely I am able to get the guy to change the plan and relocated? what should I do first (who should I speak to? developer? or architecture? or the 3rd party contractor who draw the plan?
    414473.png

414474.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    More a planning rather than a legal issue.
    Suggest you ask the developer to see if the planning authority would sanction a changed position for the light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only the developer has the authority to do anything, but they may need consent from planning department / road authority.
    xlight wrote: »
    2.the lighting coming from the light will be quite distract sleeping as two bedrooms on the front of the house.
    Get black out blinds and/or ask the developer to fit a shield to the light fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are requirements on spacing which the planning will have met. Changing that now is likely to cause knock-on effects everywhere else.

New posts are nearly always LED and don't suffer as badly from light spill in the wrong directions. Blackout blinds are cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Blackout blind. I'd take it purely for the free added security aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭xlight

Thanks for all your replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

If all the other lights are in a row along the front of the houses I don't think the builder would change or could change the layout...we have a lamp post right outside our house and did ask if it could be moved about two 5 foot but developer said it was part of planning and it would have a knock on effect with placing the other lights.
    We don't notice it now to be honest, black out blinds or heavy curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

harr wrote: »
    If all the other lights are in a row along the front of the houses I don't think the builder would change or could change the layout...we have a lamp post right outside our house and did ask if it could be moved about two 5 foot but developer said it was part of planning and it would have a knock on effect with placing the other lights.
    We don't notice it now to be honest, black out blinds or heavy curtains.

Newer street lights on my road have a shroud around them that directs the light downward, and away from houses.

Colloquially, I have heard that the council will put a shroud on an older light if it is encroaching on a property.

Let me put in another way. How accurate will the drawing be vs the actual development (could the drawing be a bit off, since most of the lampposts are in between the house, so they get the light evenly and for safety reason possibly)? will the development follow exactly what is on the drawing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have a lamp post directly outside my door. It doesn't affect sleeping. The lamp standard can be adjust so that the focus is away from the houses. A comptent contractor can do this easily.

If the lamp is installed he wont move it. If it isn't installed ask now. The position has some leeway depending on how it was designed. Also Irish Water have been known to have issues with the position of lamps in relation to watermains. I have been involved in projects were IW have asked them to be moved.

Thank you. It's a new development and so nothing has been installed yet by looking at the site, I have sent an email to the development company and asking the position of the lamp and if possible to move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement