Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Smart TV & Satellite

Options
  • 13-04-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

HI Guys,
    Sorry if im in the wrong section or anything, i went tru the pagination up to page four & didn't see an existing thread so i dont think im repeating*

Anyways the story is, i moved into an apartment in north Dublin city few months ago & to be honest i can't really afford sky or upc telly at the moment, everyone was saying to get Soarview (rte, tv3) and some threads were saying you can get the english ones too (Freeview) if i get a Satellite and i would love to be able to get this.

I have a samsung smart tv 2014 model & it has some type of built in soarview thing on it but i have no source input for it, mostly just use the built in youtube app thats good & rte player/tv3 but they often crash and dont remember the position of the show when restarted.

My question is - can i get a satellite installed that will get me the irish and english free view without getting a set top box, i read on some uk forums that you can with the samsungs but i dont know what the story is for ireland. i would consider a set top box if i had to

and also can anyone make a recommendation (on here on private) of a reliable decent person reasonable price i can get to supply and install the satellite dish on the balcony so i can get the irish and english stations. If i got tg4, the bbc's, itv2, some news and music id be delighted with that.

i dont really know about satellite tech other than the bits i read on here (very greatful for the info thanks) much of it i didn't understand

Thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Does your tv have a built in satellite tuner? What is the model number? With regards to Irish channels free on satellite, you'd be better off getting them through Saorview. Using an aerial your television should be able to give you those channels without a set top box at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 driverl

HI lertsnim,

Thanks for coming back, im not sure what a satellite tuner is, the model number is: UE40H5500AK, Type no: UE40H5500, MOdel Code: UE40H5500akxxu,

Thank YOu

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭decor58

Your best option is to get the Irish channels through an aerial and the UK channels through a dish. You can get the Irish channels through a dish but not from from the same sat as the UK channels without a subscription. Can't recommend an installer, I installed my own as many others have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look at the manuals on Samsung.ie and it will tell if it has the receiver built in or not.

Okay thanks.
    i downloaded the manual and found this:

Tuner/Broadcasting

Analog Tuner

Yes
    Twin Tuner

N/A
    CI/CI+/2CI+

CI+ (1.3)
    DTV Tuner

DVB-T2/C
    MHP / MHEG / HbbTV / ACAP / GINGA / OHTV

MHEG 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A Google says that it doesn't have a satellite tuner built in so you would need a set top box for the UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭decor58

driverl wrote:
    DVB-T2/C MHP / MHEG / HbbTV / ACAP / GINGA / OHTV

The dvb-t2 bit will get you the Saorview channels through an aerial, an outdoor aerial is generally best, you may get a signal on an indoor aerial.These can bought around town, one from a 2euro shop might do, don't go overboard. For the UK channels you would need a dish and a receiver, an old sky box is generally reliable ( the hd box needs a card with it, 5 euro on adverts).

Thanks for the help guys. much appreciated

Advertisement