Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing Dulux Weathershield colours for exterior

Options
  • 13-04-2017 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of choosing colours for house exterior. Will likely use Dulux Weathershield.

Current colour is Fleetwood Buttermilk with Fleetwood Magnolia on sills and trim, Dulux Antelope on plinth. I think the house is too creamy/yellowy now. Would prefer something more muted.

One colour combination I'm considering:
    Walls: Knock na Ri
    Trim: Achill White
    Sills and Plinth: Wicklow Way

The other:
    Walls: Cobblelock
    Trim: Achill White
    Sills and Plinth: Wicklow Way

Would love to hear of anyone who has used either of these combinations.

The windows are white vinyl, the front door is black.

Anyone know of any upcoming sales on Dulux Weathershield?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Photo showing existing colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No tips on colour but if I was a betting man I'd say for certain May bank holiday weekend there will be deals on paint at Woodies or B&Q, they usually do 2 for €50 that are normally €30 each.

No tips on colour but if I was a betting man I'd say for certain May bank holiday weekend there will be deals on paint at Woodies or B&Q, they usually do 2 for €50 that are normally €30 each.
    Woodies current price on Weathershield is €39.99 for 5lt and €59.99 for 10lt. I thought they might do a sale on it over Easter weekend, but no hint of that on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i have cobblelock on house with wild cotton on trims and we got antelope to do on plinth but not put it up yet. i think the wild cotton is better than achill white to be honest, its bit brighter and contrast is better with the cobblelock.

we have black windows

fifib wrote: »
    i have cobblelock on house with wild cotton on trims and we got antelope to do on plinth but not put it up yet. i think the wild cotton is better than achill white to be honest, its bit brighter and contrast is better with the cobblelock.

we have black windows
    Doesn't look like much of a difference between Wild Cotton and Achill White on the shade card, but could be very different when up. Went to Woodies today with the thought of buying some sample pots, but at €6.49 each, they seem like a rip-off.

Any chance you could share a photo of your house - even a detail that shows the two colours without showing so much that the house is identifiable.

• Advertisement

sample pots are a rip off. my local hardware store put some paint on cards and i brought them home to see in daylight. to me achill white is along the same spectrum as cobblelock just lighter if you get me. i would describe cobblelock and achill white as beigy colours and wild cotton is more along the creamy colour. ill get a picture for you over the weekend no problem :)

I was bemoaning the price of Dulux Weathershield in my local hardware store and the fact that I just missed their sale about a week ago. Saleswoman said they make up Dulux Signature colours using Weathershield base. Works out cheaper as the base (maybe they just use standard Weathershield White) is cheaper and you're also getting 11 litres for the price of 10 litres.

Ruffmut, I got an email notification that you posted pictures of your house with Knock na Ri, but no post or pictures showing up here on this thread. Odd! However, I could see them at the dropbox link. Your house looks nice and fresh. What white are you using for the trim?

Would love to see how Knock na Ri looks in use. The photo on Woodies page shows it as a sage-green, whereas on the Dulux color card it looks like a more beigy green. http://www.woodies.ie/dulux-10lt-weathershield-knock-na-r-1113681

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have coblelock on the walls and really like it. Went with merlin (dark grey) for the window ledges and a white (by colour trend) for the plinth

mel.b wrote: »
    I have coblelock on the walls and really like it. Went with merlin (dark grey) for the window ledges and a white (by colour trend) for the plinth
    Mel.b, do you have a photo you could share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Lots of hardware stores seem to be running the usual offer of two 10L drums for €110.

It's the same promotion they have every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

leck wrote: »
    Mel.b, do you have a photo you could share?

712B05D5-5ED3-43CD-B97F-7F0C82DFF5C2_zps96q8uzrb.png

I've had new gates done and painted them in Merlin this weekend. Ivthink they look pretty smart

3025A646-F161-4377-A3DE-5A14FD3FE9CA_zpsdyllrrig.jpg

mel.b wrote: »
    I've had new gates done and painted them in Merlin this weekend. I think they look pretty smart.
    Very smart. I would say the house look is understated elegance.

Paint colour looks much softer than I thought. I like that as I thought it might look darker. Merlin is kind of Dulux suggested pairing with Cobblelock.

Of course yours is a new house with good wall surfaces. It might look very different on mine.

I like Merlin on the sills, it almost makes them look like stone sills. I was going to go for Wicklow Way on sills and plinth. In my case the ground floor sills wrap almost all the way around on the ground floor as they follow the bay windows, so it will create a strong horizontal. Now not so sure about the Wicklow Way (which I think looks more like a dark olive) as Merlin look so nice on yours. But Wicklow Way seems to be in the same colour group as Knock na Ri.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

leck wrote: »
    Ruffmut, I got an email notification that you posted pictures of your house with Knock na Ri, but no post or pictures showing up here on this thread. Odd! However, I could see them at the dropbox link. Your house looks nice and fresh. What white are you using for the trim?

Would love to see how Knock na Ri looks in use. The photo on Woodies page shows it as a sage-green, whereas on the Dulux color card it looks like a more beigy green. http://www.woodies.ie/dulux-10lt-weathershield-knock-na-r-1113681

For some reason the photos did not show up in the post yesterday and I deleted it. The sills and plinth are Wicklow way. Pm me your email address and I'll email you a photo with all three colours. They did turn out lighter than the colour chart but it turned out great I think.

I agree it is more beigy green.

ruffmut wrote: »
    For some reason the photos did not show up in the post yesterday and I deleted it. The sills and plinth are Wicklow way. Pm me your email address and I'll email you a photo with all three colours. They did turn out lighter than the colour chart but it turned out great I think.

I agree it is more beigy green.
    Thanks, got the photo. That's a lovely job. You must be very happy with the result. The Knock na Ri doesn't have too much of a greenish hue to it, which is good. But I think the Wicklow Way on sills and plinth looks lighter and greener than on shade card.

Did you do the painting yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

We are delighted with the way it is turning out. No I am not doing it a neighbour is doing it for us. I am painting the inside of the house getting ready for a communion in a few weeks.

Hi leck, here is pics of cobblelock with wild cotton...
    415133.jpg

415134.jpg

fifib wrote: »
    Hi leck, here is pics of cobblelock with wild cotton...
    That looks great with the dark grey windowframes.

Advertisement