Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clondalkin /walkinstown

Options
  • 13-04-2017 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Help,
    My husband has a mind set up for a 4 bed house in Clondalkin in good condition. 4 bed on one level upstairs with possibiliy of doing an attic. Our children (4) go to school in Templeogue. Driving to school is 15 min each day.

Is it worth it? Would you buy a dream house but you have to drive your kids to school 15 min to and fro (when no traffic)?

The dilemma is I want to buy in walkinstown so the kids when they get older can walk to school , but the houses here are mostly 3 bed with possible attic conversion and for the same amount of money they are really in a gruesome state that would need total makeover.
    We dont want to change the school as this is the only stable situation they have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

15 min drive Clondalkin to Templeogue at school times seems very optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

carolmon wrote: »

Absolutely agree!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

carolmon wrote: »

I'd agree unless you've done that run at school times in the morning. 15 mins would barely get you onto M50.

I live in Clondalkin village and love it. I'm lucky in
    I that my kids are in local primary school. I think ( depending on what age they are of course) the upheaval would be damaging especially if they like school have friends are involved in the area.

Maybe look somewhere nearer ( impossible I know) where the commute is relatively short or stay put for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I agree, 15 minutes seems quite optimistic in the mornings.

I would go for walkinstown and just spend a bit of time and money making it into your dream house. I don't think it's worth trading an easier lifestyle for another bedroom, especially when there's an option of converting the attic. Those commutes fairly add up and mean a lot of time spent travelling over the years you'd be living there.

Not to mention that walkinstown, while working class, is generally regarded as a much better area than clondalkin - hence the difference in house prices. It seems like almost every week there's some sort of shooting or stabbing in clondalkin. I know there are nicer parts (I worked there for years), but walkinstown would win hands down for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Clondalkin is fine, it's actually a vibrant little village with excellent amenities and transport links. The perception that it's dangerous is unfair, the area's that are trouble are well outside of the village. They where given a clondalkin post code back in the day but it could have easily been Lucan.

Schools there are actually very good too. Should you decide to change you're children won't suffer.

Is the potential commute the only one you're doing ? Is it on your way to work?

I'm in Clondalkin myself and the property I have has an attic conversion and garage converted too. Many of my neighbours have actually extended and turned the garage into an attached granny flat and rent it under the rent a room scheme getting a very healthy return on the money the invested into it.

Lots of the 4 beds in older area's of Clondalkin are similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement