Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor needed: "subject to loan approval"

Options
  • 13-04-2017 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I just booked a new build and I'm looking for a solicitor who has experience adding and getting developers accept the "subject to loan approval" clause in the contract.

Can you please PM me the details of your solicitor if they successfully added this clause for you?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why would a developer do this? He could have sold the unit 10 times over before you get loan approval

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Because a developer may be selling the unit 12 months before draw down is needed.
    Typically banks will only give 6 months approval at which point the buyer will needed re-approval.

If the buyer does not get re-approval the builder would be able to keep the buyer deposit without this clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm not sure why you need a specific solicitor OP. Any solicitor can do this, whether the developer, or indeed any vendor, will accept that clause is down to them. I think you need some goons to make the developer an offer they can't refuse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

This seems to be some sort of a taboo. Some solicitors just refuse doing this, others will not confirm/deny until you hire them.
    It's not that easy to find the right solicitor for this task.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Okay so where are you looking for this Solicitor. No point in PMing you about one in North Dublin if you're in Cork.

• Advertisement

Okay so where are you looking for this Solicitor. No point in PMing you about one in North Dublin if you're in Cork.

I apologize, you're right. I'm in Dublin. Working in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

So the solicitor is working for you. Would you not insist that this clause is in the contract with the solicitor before the solicitor asks you to sign?
    If its not in the contract then dont sign...tell solicitor to send it back to get that clause inserted.

Explain this clause is mandatory for you and you wont sign any contracts without it inserted. Be open & upfront with the solicitor at the outset (set expectations).

daheff wrote: »
    So the solicitor is working for you. Would you not insist that this clause is in the contract with the solicitor before the solicitor asks you to sign?
    If its not in the contract then dont sign...tell solicitor to send it back to get that clause.

I'm not looking to play hard ball with a solicitor or a large developer with a lot of resources.
    I think it's wiser to find a solicitor who does this routinely and successfully. There's not so many large developers in the area so any random local solicitor would have worked with them and should have experience with adding a clause like this.

Advertisement