Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 BMW K1200S

• 13-04-2017 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just wondering what people think of this bike and if anyone has one and has any issues or anything after owning one? Very keen on getting one at the moment looking at a one now with only 5000KM high spec very clean what do yous think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....they're a good bike to ride, and very powerful. Heavier than an out & out sportsbike, I think it makes them a good choice for our sh!t roads as the suspension gets to work. Comfy too.

On the other side, like all BMW's, some things to check: any recalls outstanding on it ? Brakes, esp ABS can give issues, and a good few have had the ABS disabled. Bike will still work fine, but you'd like to know what you're getting in to.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭aerofoiled

I had a 1200R for about 18 months / 5000 miles and didn't have any problems in that time.
    It didn't have ABS (thankfully) but did have ESA, which is very effective. I used mine for Sunday morning spins and also did a trip to France on it and it was great for both.

As galwaytt says, get proof that all recalls have been done and you're set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Fuel pumps give trouble, abs needs flushing every 2 years, long barge of a bike, most of the probs are official recalls so a vin number thru the dealer will see what needs doing, 165hp s they have a ferocious appetite for tyres if you're enthusiastic with the throttle, and fuel economy suffers too!

I bought a 2012 k1300s at the end of February. I've only put 500 miles on it but I'm loving it so far. It's very comfortable and ferociously powerful. Handling is excellent. ESA suspension is class, the brakes are top notch, the quick shifter is addictive. Fuel economy is ok if you're not misbehaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aaronpk12

Got the bike yesterday evening and delighted with it, its some animal to go like it hits 200kmh no problem but its a whole different story when you let it out my god haha its like brand new immaculate condition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

Have mine a year and a half and 6000 miles. Overall its a good bike - fast, comfortable with wind good protection. As has been stated above I would ensure brakes are bled regularly as apparently it can lead to brake servo/abs issues if not done.
    I would ring Joe Duffys and quote the VIN number to see what recalls were done and if any are outstanding.
    Would also ensure one of these timing chain jump guard is fitted as this is a known weak spot with this bike. Obviously if this goes wrong you are in a whole world of (financial) hurt.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=50&Ct=BA&SbCt=BA_15_50_BA_15

Other than that I would fit an aftermarket can (I would recommend GPR I have - awesome sound) as the stock one is too heavy and quiet. They are a great fast long distance tourer and probably the most comfortable sports tourer I have ever been on.
    Oh and any issues I would be on to Platinum Motorcycles. Have used him for a number of years now and he really knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

How heavy are these bikes lads...
    is the weight evenly balanced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

They are a heavy bike with a fairly long wheelbase ( I would imagine on a par with a honda blackbird). But as with most bikes, once you get moving there is no problem. Weight does seem evenly balanced as at walking pace it will happily trickle along...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was really considering getting on of these - they look great and are apparently fantastic bikes to ride - chew up the miles and very comfy with great wind protection. The only thing that put me off was the weight and not great in traffic etc, and not sure how much craic they would be on the tight twisty roads. Still I'd love one and may consider for a second bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP how are you finding it so far? Any downsides?

Nice one just went on donedeal: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-k1300s-16-month-bmw-warranty/15503713?campaign=3

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    I was really considering getting on of these - they look great and are apparently fantastic bikes to ride - chew up the miles and very comfy with great wind protection. The only thing that put me off was the weight and not great in traffic etc, and not sure how much craic they would be on the tight twisty roads. Still I'd love one and may consider for a second bike.

They are great fun on twisties, not great in town though. Engine gets very hot very quickly in the slightest bit of start stop traffic. Weight isn't an issue, it's incredibly well balanced and I have no problems pushing it around. It's also the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. If you ever pick one up make sure it's got the quick shifter fitted, it's the business.

Silly question...what does the quick shifter do?

Also much difference between 1200s and 1300s?

I used to have a Ducati 749, amazing bike but in traffic on a hot day it would heat up and literally roast the arse off you as the pipes went directly under the seat . Would be next to impossible in a hot country I'd say. I'm actually surprised a bmw would be the same, or is it just that the engine gets hot, does the fan not kick in?

Zascar wrote: »
    I used to have a Ducati 749, amazing bike but in traffic on a hot day it would heat up and literally roast the arse off you as the pipes went directly under the seat . Would be next to impossible in a hot country I'd say. I'm actually surprised a bmw would be the same, or is it just that the engine gets hot, does the fan not kick in?

Yeah the engine gets hot quickly, the fan comes on and stays on for a good while.

Zipppy wrote: »
    Silly question...what does the quick shifter do?

Also much difference between 1200s and 1300s?

It let's you shift up while holding the throttle open without using the clutch. Exhaust makes nice sounds while doing so!

It let's you shift up while holding the throttle open without using the clutch. Exhaust makes nice sounds while doing so!

I take it that's not standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it's standard on certain spec levels and can be selected as an option, as opposed to being a bolt on bit done by an owner.. but it can also be done that way

So is it only when you are flat out, or does it mean you don't have to use the clutch when changing gear normally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it kills the ignition for a fraction of a second so you can do it really at any revs as long as you're putting a positive load on the gearbox same as you would just normally clutchless upshift.

it'll be smoothest at flat out and high revs

it doesn't have any control over the clutch at all its just either ignition kill or fuel pump kill but majority of them are ignition kill

the dumb systems are a straight forward 150ms or something duration kill while others will be different for each gear and user programmable then it progresses up to the ones where it automatically chooses the duration based on load on the engine or waits until the next year has been engaged properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Some of the newer bikes have it for up shifting and down shifting, blips the trottle when doing a down shift.

Have never ridden a bike with a quick shifter, but I'd like to try one.

Wonder how long it would take your muscle memory to adapt to using it regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement