Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life changing the types of game you play

Options
  • 13-04-2017 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

As I look through my backlog using the Android app My Game Collection to see what I should play next I notice how my fairly busy life is dictating my decisions.

Games like massive RPGs which would have seemed epic and great value for money when I was a teen now seem daunting to add to my schedule. Imagine picking up The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition for €25 when you're a teen, amazing bang for your buck.

Short indie type games and short AAA titles now seem much more attractive. Get the main experience and wrap it up in 10-15hrs max.

Should I continue Dark Souls? I would like to but with work being fairly stressful these days I'm not sure I want a game that demands such focus.

Should I play The Witcher 3? A game that everyone seems to rave about but it's so big! At least 100 hours, is that even realistic given it took me 4-5 weeks to finish Gears of War 4?

Should I just pick a good, short game and clear one more game off the backlog? I have Firewatch and it looks extremely tempting given the good reviews and short play time of 4-4.5hrs.

So has life changed how you play games and what genres you are attracted to?

Adulting! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I am more inclined to play a game nowadays that is 16-20 hours of good fun (Shadow of Mordor etc) than pick up a game advertised as "Open World" or with lots of repetitive side quests / busy work / collectables.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I suppose when I was younger I had a lot more time for MMO's like WoW, which I'm pretty sure I wasted years of my life on, and RPGs too.

These days with more limited time and a busy work life I'm a fan of more relaxing games like Cities: Skylines.

I still make time to play the Witcher 3 for example, but only because I find it to be so enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I shy away from games that require my undivided attention for long periods of time, mainly multiplayer games. I have stopped playing League of Legends because of the fact i have to give it atleast an hour of my time for a single game, and if that's a losing game then thats an hour of non-fun.

MMO's are another game that i really enjoyed but they often require a strict schedule if you want to get the most from the game in terms of raiding. Not to mention time invested to grind and get the best gear and then we have the 3-4 hours of undivided attention when your guild does a raid.

As for singleplayer games like The Witcher, Mass Effect and Dark Souls that i can pause or save and exit and step away from i still play. The massive playtimes to complete these games isn't a deal breaker because i enjoy the journey through the game. Its not always about the games ending or your own end goal and knocking another game off your backlog list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I kind of get where you're going op but for me I wasn't into rpg's as a kid. Played a lot of football games and wrestling, goldeneye and Mario kart on the n64 with mates.

Even going back as far as the Amstrad is have gone with shorter play games as a preference.

Funnily enough even though I'm time poor I'm finding time now for rpg's etc because there's anytime saves and auto saves in them now where there was save points back then.

I'm 30 hours off into the gigantic Xenoblade currently but it's been very stop start. Thanks to saves though I find it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Now more likely to sink an hour into more arcade-y or rogue-y type things than attempt chip away at something bigger. If I load up an Isaac (was mad into cheesing the dailies at one stage) or a Super Galaxy Squadron, I have all I need to play immediately rather than wade through the curve of longer titles in the hopes of it being worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

After having a kid last year multiplayer games have pretty much disappeared from my gaming life. I just cant play something online when I might potentially have to drop what I'm playing without notice.

Any game that basically lets me pause at anytime is king now.

Also spare time for gaming is down too, as would be expected.

After having a kid last year multiplayer games have pretty much disappeared from my gaming life. I just cant play something online when I might potentially have to drop what I'm playing without notice.

Any game that basically lets me pause at anytime is king now.

Also spare time for gaming is down too, as would be expected.

There was a comic book strip on the gaming humour section of gaming that shows a character taking sleep out. Maybe this would help. Who needs sleep anyway. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There was a comic book strip on the gaming humour section of gaming that shows a character taking sleep out. Maybe this would help. Who needs sleep anyway. Lol

A teething baby takes the sleep out as well. :(

A teething baby takes the sleep out as well. :(

Been there, done that, twice. It gets easier... But not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

(kids+work)-(gametime)/(type of game) = (****it10minutesofBFwilldo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My life is very busy lately. I work 10-12h shifts and on top of that 2h spent to drive to and from work.
    If I get to work 4-5 days in a row, then its pretty much a cycle of sleep/drive/work, rinse and repeat. I see nothing or have any kind of life.
    At least I am lucky to have days off during the week. Misses is at work, kid in school and just me at home. Thats my "me time" to play games. Thats of course if I dont have stuff to do.

Saying this, I still play what I want and length of game never was a deciding factor. I play what is fun, even if it means I will have to wait 4 days to play it again and continue.
    There is Only one game that I love and I cant play it anymore due to busy life. Its Rust. I love that game to bits, but unfortunately its impossible to play solo with my schedule.

I even got myself a laptop, so I can play in bed after work while misses sleeps. I just cant sleep for ages, even if I am tired after all that work. Its my gaming time now. I guess Insomnia can be good for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My conscious decision to not have kids is giving me the time i need. I've seen too many people, some ex-gamers, who are miserable looking when they hear me talking about the spare time i have, it cements my decision to not have them. As such, and because i'm single and have no immediate prospects of getting myself a missus, coupled with the fact that i'm now on minimum wage so i have no money to have a life, i get to game as much as i've always had.

However, my game choices have still changed, but i think that's more to circumstance than anything. I usually plough hours upon hours into the latest CoD until the next one, but living back in the country with a choice of 20Gb daily limit Imagine or any of the crappy mobile hotspots that are, well, crap, i can't play online properly. So i was in a rut, until i got Horizon: Zero Dawn. Took me straight out of that rut.

Also, adulting sucks. Possibly a minor reason behind me not wanting kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

My conscious decision to not have kids is giving me the time i need. I've seen too many people, some ex-gamers, who are miserable looking when they hear me talking about the spare time i have, it cements my decision to not have them. As such, and because i'm single and have no immediate prospects of getting myself a missus, coupled with the fact that i'm now on minimum wage so i have no money to have a life, i get to game as much as i've always had.

However, my game choices have still changed, but i think that's more to circumstance than anything. I usually plough hours upon hours into the latest CoD until the next one, but living back in the country with a choice of 20Gb daily limit Imagine or any of the crappy mobile hotspots that are, well, crap, i can't play online properly. So i was in a rut, until i got Horizon: Zero Dawn. Took me straight out of that rut.

Also, adulting sucks. Possibly a minor reason behind me not wanting kids...

it sure does, catch21, get money but lose time.

Im in college at the moment and trying to split time between taking that seriously and paying enough attention to the better half while also running a farm and working part time is really diminishing my game time.
    Really sucks as i just bought a 1080ti and would love to binge a week of gaming with the witcher 3 or mass effect or that new nier or horizon or countless other games....crap i just bought persona 5 as well :(

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I've been gaming since I was 7 and don't see it stopping any time soon. It took a long time, but games are now my hobby and my living, so what I decide to buy hasn't been effected (outside of personal taste) for the past two decades or beyond. However, the above mix hasn't done much good for my social life (given I work from home as a freelancer now) and definitely not helped romantic prospects, which 'helps' said game-time (said with slight pang of negativity - in short, it's an enjoyable life, albeit lonely). I'd be more than happy to make sacrifices to cater for a family or a partner, but absolutely won't stop entirely as it has been a huge part of my life for so long that it's practically ingrained, now. I would have to if I had children, but again, now that I'm pushing mid-thirty, the prospect of that is slimming each year.

As mentioned above, I chosen not to have any children too. My last 10 year relationship went tits up due to that. ( a good few reasons on top of that too)
    I was single less then a year and it was one of the best parts of my life. I had enough time to play games, do stuff with friends and go out 1-2 times per week.
    I got sucked in back to relationship pretty fast, I didn't enjoy my freedom for long, but this relationship turned out a lot better then last one. My current misses has 8 year old girl already and she does not want any more children too. She has her own house and mortgage and I dont want to own a house ever. So both check and check. Works for her, works for me.
    I am really happy, but you cant have your cake and eat it. I have family now and my gaming time is not even close to what it used to be.
    My gaming is still very hard for misses to understand even if we are together for over 2 years and live together for over a year. As you perfectly said: its a big part of my life and I could never give it up. We had some fights over it, but in fairness to her, she tries to be understanding and now its not a big issue.

So yeah, in my opinion relationships are pretty much biggest obsitcle in gaming time, but as human beings we have to choose or work around it.

Tbh ropedrink from the point of view of potentially having kids/family, if your working primarily at home, that's a massive plus man.

Me and my misses will be trying for kids a few years down the line, but tbh I'm terrified about the lack of me time having always being slightly introverted and liking my own hobbies.

Tbh ropedrink from the point of view of potentially having kids/family, if your working primarily at home, that's a massive plus man.

Me and my misses will be trying for kids a few years down the line, but tbh I'm terrified about the lack of me time having always being slightly introverted and liking my own hobbies.

One of the major reasons i don't want them. I like me time. The majority of my friends and family are either married with kids, or just have kids. They're constantly tired, usually miserable, and always seem to envy me (even though i'm 33, single, balding and broke). I think they envy the me time more than anything. I've great respect for someone who can raise a child properly, but it's just too much work. Even in gaming, where there's an option to have kids, i never have them. Too much bother even in games! I used to pick a woman when playing The Sims, and she was always a lesbian, so i couldn't have kids... Boy did i get a shock!

As the generation, where games became main-stream, become parents I can see the rise of single player driven games again.

All these players had tonnes of free time to play Multi player and MMO games but when you can only grab random 0.5 to 1 hour slots you really appreciate well crafted single player games.

Give it 10 years and I think that you will see a drive to local multi player and Co-op games as parents start being able to play games with their kids

You get over it and/or start staying up very late at weekends. Since Christmas I have played the Mass Effect trilogy, plowed hours into Skyrim and just finishing Tropico 4.

All of these games are designed to be jumped in and out of and that's why they were chosen (still have not gotten around to buying the 1070 so playing older games at present)

You get over it and/or start staying up very late at weekends. Since Christmas I have played the Mass Effect trilogy, plowed hours into Skyrim and just finishing Tropico 4.

All of these games are designed to be jumped in and out of and that's why they were chosen (still have not gotten around to buying the 1070 so playing older games at present)

I actually bought a gaming laptop ( my brothers in law old one ) just for that reason. I already said above my work routine, so the only time I have some time to play is wjen everyone a sleep. I just fire up my laptop in bed whike misses snores and play factorio.

I was thinking of upgrading my pc, but seeing how fast laptops became now, I will be buying new modern laptop when I save up and the one I got from brother in law becomes way too old. Flexibility is way more impartant for me over raw power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Some great responses here.

I wouldn't regret my lifestyle or situation I'm in or swap it for a lifestyle that would allow me play much more games. I do wish sometimes that I could play a little bit more. I would estimate I play no more than 5hrs a week, more during the winter and less during the summer. If I could double it to 10 it would be great.

I haven't bought any game so far this year, being strict on myself and forcing myself to clear my backlog a bit. My wishlist contains great games like Nier: Automata, Nioh, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7 and Yakuza 0. At this rate I won't be buying one of them until nearly Christmas.

In case you're curious I went with Firewatch and completed it over the long weekend. Yesterday evening I decided to bit the bullet and starter Witcher 3. Based on How Long To Beat and assuming I play an average of 5hrs a week it's probably going to take me 6 months at least to finish! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bet it takes you less as you will find yourself making hours to play it

yeah witcher 3, what a gmae, think ive about 60-70 hours into it and only got to velan where ive to search for dandilion, really have to get time and get back in to finish that masterpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I actually bought a gaming laptop ( my brothers in law old one ) just for that reason. I already said above my work routine, so the only time I have some time to play is wjen everyone a sleep. I just fire up my laptop in bed whike misses snores and play factorio.

I was thinking of upgrading my pc, but seeing how fast laptops became now, I will be buying new modern laptop when I save up and the one I got from brother in law becomes way too old. Flexibility is way more impartant for me over raw power.

I did this very recently, was about to thrown down the money on a 1080TI monster desktop but realised with work/relationship constraining my play time, I needed a more flexible solution that could use on the go.

Went for an AW13 (gtx1060, OLED) and may at some stage pick up an amp and a 1080TI when prices drop on them. If your looking at one down the line I'd highly recommend getting an OLED panel when they become available on other models, nicest screen I've ever played on/looked at.

The one game I wish I could get back into and find the time for is Rust. I can't think of any single game that had me hooked like Rust Legacy. Havnt touched it since late 2014/early 2015.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

One thing about gaming is that it doesnt have the same status as some other distactions as sport. If you told the missus that you were going to watch 2-3 hours of footie on a Saturday and then same again spread over the mid-week, many would accept it. But "playing games" isnt seen equally.
    I can understand if someone is looking for both. But each partner needs some personal space/time, whether it be gardening, reading, soaps, yoga, gym, sport, gaming etc etc

EazyD wrote: »

I did this very recently, was about to thrown down the money on a 1080TI monster desktop but realised with work/relationship constraining my play time, I needed a more flexible solution that could use on the go.

Went for an AW13 (gtx1060, OLED) and may at some stage pick up an amp and a 1080TI when prices drop on them. If your looking at one down the line I'd highly recommend getting an OLED panel when they become available on other models, nicest screen I've ever played on/looked at.

The one game I wish I could get back into and find the time for is Rust. I can't think of any single game that had me hooked like Rust Legacy. Havnt touched it since late 2014/early 2015.
    I got of him Alienware 13 too, but old model. Its i5 8gb ram, 256ssd, 860m, 2560x1440 touch screen for 300 quid. I am extremely happy with it for the money and allienware really impressed me with their laptops. I could never say a good thing about that company.
    I missed out on theor stock clearance of AW 13 laptops i7 6700hq, 16gb ram, 256ssd, 1060 for 1650eu. Right now if you want same one with 7700hq, you are talking 2.2k!
    I really want new AW13, but its a bit steep, hopefully it will drop a bit in proce by the time I passively save up for it ( I am putting away 50eu each week to separate account just for laptop right now)
    If not, I moght go for msi 14, which is same spec, but 1750eu.

As of coming back on topic: Yes, laptop now is a perfect fit for me. I found myself playing a lot more on it, then on pc. Its a lot more flexible and you can still be half socialising woth misses while on it.
    Those smaller gaming laptops are god sent. Must be my favorite advance in gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tenger wrote: »
    One thing about gaming is that it doesnt have the same status as some other distactions as sport. If you told the missus that you were going to watch 2-3 hours of footie on a Saturday and then same again spread over the mid-week, many would accept it. But "playing games" isnt seen equally.
    I can understand if someone is looking for both. But each partner needs some personal space/time, whether it be gardening, reading, soaps, yoga, gym, sport, gaming etc etc

I think you can equate gaming to watching TV.

Not really other stuff, which has other associated benefits of perhaps relaxation or expertise or health. Gaming is primarily entertainment, with depending on your play some problem solving element, unless its a on rails or reflexes type of game.

I was more into Simulation games, but no longer have the time. I used to play COD4 but it was ruined by cheating. Current pay World of Tanks, but thats really more frustrating due to its pay to win focus. I really only play it as a distraction.

Tenger wrote: »

This. So much this. I've gone out with 2 women (well, more, but these were the serious 2), 7 years each, and neither of them understood gaming. They had the same idiotic idea that it's for kids, a waste of time, etc. Yet they had no issues with sitting down and watching cancer for the eyes (soaps) for hours on end. The last missus actually gave out to me once because i was gaming instead of watching feckin Fair City with her! Like, FFS! Fair CITY!!!! If i was on earlies, i'd be home before her, cook the dinner and have it ready when she came in. I used to then go game for 3 hours while she watched all the soaps, and around 9/9.30 i would join her and we'd watch The Walking Dead and other programs we were both interested in. Working fine until she decided to have a strop and give out to me for gaming.

So, now i'm single for about 6 years, and i'm not too bothered in finding someone else unless they at least understand gaming, or preferably are a gamer themselves. I know at 34 this may be hard to find, but i'm sick of trying to explain why gaming is so important to me, and it's the only past time i really have as i've no interest in sports or drinking or any of the "normal" interests.

whats even worse are the types that have no problem being stuck to facebook on the phones 24/7 but see gaming as a waste of time, id a friend in exactly that situation and it drove him nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

As the generation, where games became main-stream, become parents I can see the rise of single player driven games again.

All these players had tonnes of free time to play Multi player and MMO games but when you can only grab random 0.5 to 1 hour slots you really appreciate well crafted single player games.

Give it 10 years and I think that you will see a drive to local multi player and Co-op games as parents start being able to play games with their kids

I don't play multiplayer at all - I don't have the time to devote to it at all and tbh I wouldn't really have the inclination to do it anyway. Give me a decent single player game that I can sink an hour or two at night when everyone else has gone to bed. I'll play usually about 6-10 hours, fitted in around everything else that has to be done around the house and with the family. Wouldn't swap my life for anything and wouldn't in a million years envy someone for having more free time for gaming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement