Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clever Fish ISP

Options
  • 13-04-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello boards,

I was approached by a salesperson from "Clever Fish" the other day, in Cork, does anyone have experience with them, speed, reliability, reputation etc.

We have Magnet now, and I am quite unhappy with them, but I dont want to change if just to another shoddy ISP.

Clever Fish, said that they are operating on a separate line than Eir, and Magnet (who uses Eir lines), and can therefore offer something other than same-ship-different-provider.

Please, and thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Their site is quite ambiguous, "gigabit technology" but 100-500Mb.

Probably reselling a local MAN. Might be ok, but small fry might mean 9-5 mon-fri support and monitoring. Though vodafone are just as bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

They look pretty new. Says no contract though, did he/she elaborate on that? Although you know salespeople...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Enyeez

9726_9726 wrote: »
    They look pretty new. Says no contract though, did he/she elaborate on that? Although you know salespeople...

Yea no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We have a fair usage policy on both Clever Big Fish and Clever Little Fish, but don’t worry, they are huge! There is 25Gb per day on Littlefish and 75Gb per day on Bigfish. Even if you hit that allowance you can continue to download, your speed will be slowed down but only to 2.5M and only until midnight when it resets.
    Speeds are up-to and may vary.

Those from
    http://www.cleverfish.ie/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's Nova broadband, they have the same VAT number and postal address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I wonder is it something similar to what Webpass (now owned by Google) were doing in the States? Basically a high capacity point to point wireless link on top of the building with the connections to the individual apartments delivered over ethernet or fibre.

That sounds pretty likely Navi. Don't nova have a pretty checkered history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    That sounds pretty likely Navi. Don't nova have a pretty checkered history?

I've no experience of them, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I enquired and the backhaul in our building is wireless. So not a hope they offer "Gigabit" connections if any sort of numbers take up the offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

jsut had a skim through the front page ..
    Our office is closed to the public at all times.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maybe they use "Gigabit technology" in the same way FTTC is sold as "fibre" to its customers.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Maybe they use "Gigabit technology" in the same way FTTC is sold as "fibre" to its customers.

Well at least in FTTC it'll be much closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

I enquired and the backhaul in our building is wireless. So not a hope they offer "Gigabit" connections if any sort of numbers take up the offering.
    I wonder is it something similar to what Webpass (now owned by Google) were doing in the States? Basically a high capacity point to point wireless link on top of the building with the connections to the individual apartments delivered over ethernet or fibre.

Wepass use microwave and millimeter wave PTP links. SAF for the microwave. Not sure what they use for mm-wave but i do know that a few vendors do 1Gb, 2Gb, 5Gb and 10Gb full-duplex links that would give fibre like performance. This is possible for PTP but NOT possible for PTMP which gets people confused. Vendors like Siklu, SIAE, etc.

I also know someone who is involved in FTTH networks who says a whole town peaks at 1.2Gb at night, and this is with 1Gb end-user packages so this is all doable. It would take seriously good oversight to ensure no links get congested at peak time though and of course that remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

Would anyone know if the ping would be worst along with the upload speed with this carrier?

It totally depends on their peering/transit agreements. Only current customers could really tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucymay

I have CleverFish it's working great for me their tech support are 8 am to 8 pm daily ping test 3ms great for online gaming i have had no issues so far with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucymay

Im with them ping time 2ms to 4ms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

lucymay wrote: »
    I have CleverFish it's working great for me their tech support are 8 am to 8 pm daily ping test 3ms great for online gaming i have had no issues so far with it.

Do you have any affiliation with the ISP? Just curious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Obvious shilling :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Im with them ping time 2ms to 4ms

What address are you pinging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

What address are you pinging?
    Probably 127.0.0.1 :rolleyes:

Advertisement