Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options
  • 13-04-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Can the Cavs repeat as champs? Can the Celtics take the East after claiming the #1 seed? Can anyone take down Golden State for the West? Is OKC/Houston the must watch series of the bunch?

So many questions so welcome to the 2017 NBA Playoffs!!

160413134216-playoffs-2016-official-t1-creative.home-t1.jpg

East Match-ups

1) Boston Celtics vs. 8) Chicago Bulls
    2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs. 7) Indiana Pacers
    3) Toronto Raptors vs. 6) Milwaukee Bucks
    4) Washington Wizards vs. 5) Atlanta Hawks

West Match-ups

1) Golden State Warriors vs. 8) Portland Trail-Blazers
    2) San Antonio Spurs vs. 7) Memphis Grizzlies
    3) Houston Rockets vs. 6) Oklahoma City Thunder
    4) Los Angeles Clippers vs. 5) Utah Jazz

Tip Off times for this weekend:

Saturday, April 15

8 p.m (3 p.m EST) - Pacers@Cavs
    10:30 p.m (5:30 p.m EST) - Bucks@Raptors
    1 a.m (8 p.m EST) - Grizz@Spurs
    3.30 a.m (10.30 EST) - Jazz@Clippers

Sunday, April 16

6 p.m (1 p.m EST) - Hawks@Wizards
    8:30 p.m (3.30 p.m EST) - Trail-Blazers@Warriors
    11:30 p.m (6:30 p.m EST) - Bulls@Celtics
    2 a.m (9 p.m EST) - Thunder@Rockers

NBA League Pass are having a free weekend and most of the above games should be on BT Sport going by the upcoming tv listings :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

East Match-ups

1) Boston Celtics vs. 8) Chicago Bulls
    Celtics in 6

2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs. 7) Indiana Pacers Cavs in 5

3) Toronto Raptors vs. 6) Milwaukee Bucks
    Raptors in 6 (wish Jabari was playing would be closer)

4) Washington Wizards vs. 5) Atlanta Hawks
    Wizards in 6

West Match-ups

1) Golden State Warriors vs. 8) Portland Trail-Blazers
    GSW I want to say in 4 but Lillard might will them to one so gonna say GSW in 5

2) San Antonio Spurs vs. 7) Memphis Grizzlies
    Spurs in 6

3) Houston Rockets vs. 6) Oklahoma City Thunder
    Rockets in 6

4) Los Angeles Clippers vs. 5) Utah Jazz
    The closest one for me, I want to say the Jazz but post season experience and that bit extra on offense so Clippers in 7

Pretty boring selections in those match ups but don't see much of an upset happening tbh.

Also Lowe with his award picks and he actually gets a vote, a few interesting omissions for some and says DPOY is the closest race for him:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19140550/zach-lowe-picks-nba-mvp-defensive-player-year-rookie-year-more-awards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

brady23 wrote: »

Also Lowe with his award picks and he actually gets a vote, a few interesting omissions for some and says DPOY is the closest race for him:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19140550/zach-lowe-picks-nba-mvp-defensive-player-year-rookie-year-more-awards

Its hard to argue with a lot of what Lowe says, although I do disagree with his conclusion(its Westbrook for me)

"One free throw rebound and one uncontested defensive board per night don't, on their own, make Westbrook a superior candidate."

The above quote is a huge hole in Westbrooks MVP campaign,obviously the voters will see this but his body of work outside the triple double is what makes him my MVP. The eye test of how bad the thunder look without him on the court combined with their team record seals it for me.

Gregk961 wrote: »

Its hard to argue with a lot of what Lowe says, although I do disagree with his conclusion(its Westbrook for me)

"One free throw rebound and one uncontested defensive board per night don't, on their own, make Westbrook a superior candidate."

The above quote is a huge hole in Westbrooks MVP campaign,obviously the voters will see this but his body of work outside the triple double is what makes him my MVP. The eye test of how bad the thunder look without him on the court combined with their team record seals it for me.

I would have disagreed with you and pretty much repeated what Lowe said about a month ago regarding Westbrook but argued for Harden. I mentioned something similar a few weeks ago about Westbrooks numbers  vs Harden's but what has swung it for me has been Westbrooks ability to win games late on for OKC.

I think his late game heroics has won OKC roughly 5 games since the all star break and it's those games that make the difference for me. They have been so memorable ie 42 triple doubles vs Denver and the 60 point triple double.

Without them I revert to Lowe's argument and say well those extra few stats aren't worth 13 games between Harden and Westbrook and although I still don't think they're necessarily worth 8 games, without the "Take Over" mentality he's displayed they wouldnt be close to where they are.

Personally I don't share the opinion of many in saying that Westbrook is working with weaker players than Harden; based on win shares, other stats and even the eye test over the past few years
    How many people would say Gordon, Anderson and Beverley have been more productive than Kanter, Adams and Oladipo in recent years? If any of us were building a team in the morning, most would probably take the three from OKC.

However I would agree with the opinion of many that Harden has a superior coach and one of the best GMs in sports in Daryl Morey. The design of the Rockets is so superior and Donovan is pretty poor imo.

Although I would prefer to see Harden win, Westbrook has done enough for me.
    If you're being as objective as possible you probably have to agree with Lowe and say Kawhi because of what he adds to a team that has won 61 games and they'd be a mid 40s team without him but I don't believe all those voting will be that objective.
    The Cavs demise in the past few months has pretty much resigned LBJ to 4th place in the voting arguably 5th if some like Giannis/Isiah/Wall enough.

I don't think Westbrook is a shoe in at all because I think the more media members look at the whole season, they'll lean more towards Harden and Kawhi but there are no doubts that Westbrook few heroic games in the past few months are fresher in the minds of voters.
    Silver also reduced the amount of voters, who lost their vote? I'm curious of the criteria. He's progressive perhaps more voters are in the stats based Nate Silver/Zach Lowe camp more than the traditionalist Ernie Johnson camp. 
    Equally those traditionalists who do get a vote could say well he didn't get 50 wins which has been a pre-requiste since 1983 so who knows.

Those ridiculous come from behind wins obviously aren't worth more in theory but I think that those memorable performances will tip it Westbrooks way plus I think people like his attitude to not campaigning for it the way Harden is. No matter what happens it's the best race in years and long may it continue.

Just to add, Simmons thoughts, another who gets a vote

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-2017-nba-mvp-james-harden-russell-westbrook-kawhi-leonard-4f617e8d5df5

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19159149/carmelo-anthony-better-somewhere-else-phil-jackson-says

Writing on the wall a while anyway but Phil pretty much sealed it now.

I'm not sure what teams he'll waive it for.

Perhaps if (when) the Cavs don't win this year Phil can work out a deal for Love.

Clippers make space somehow if Blake leaves.

Celtics probably won't unless they let Isiah and Crowder walk or move Horford.

Miami maybe Riley can convince him Whiteside and Dragic is enough

Bulls would be my last guess but after that I don't know

Totally unlikely but given cap space, assets, coach and talent an unlikely but fun one could be the T-Wolves.

Deal based around LaVine, Dunn or Rubio, I'd let LaVine go personally but could you convince Melo a core of KAT Wiggins, Rubio, maybe a rookie Tatum and himself could win now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Wow,cavs pacers was close

• Advertisement

Just watching Bucks Raps and the Bucks are playing some great D.

Thon Maker is playing unbelievable D, clearly all the time with KG is paying off.

Raptors still look like they have too many options but the Bucks are playing really well. Maker, Parker, Giannis, Middleton are an exciting prospect moving forward once Parker can recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

The jazz giving the clippers plenty of it and gobert went down after 11 seconds

The jazz giving the clippers plenty of it and gobert went down after 11 seconds
    Iso Joe with the game winner after CP3 had tied it up.
    Great start to the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Just watching Bucks Raps and the Bucks are playing some great D.

Thon Maker is playing unbelievable D, clearly all the time with KG is paying off.

Raptors still look like they have too many options but the Bucks are playing really well. Maker, Parker, Giannis, Middleton are an exciting prospect moving forward once Parker can recover.

Yer man Monroe was great too, a double double off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I hope Isiah Thomas goes out and has the game of his life tonight in memory of his sister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why the bloody hell did BT show a repeat of Cavs Pacers rather that Wizards Hawks?

Shame Celtics Bulls isn't on either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

gimmick wrote: »
    Why the bloody hell did BT show a repeat of Cavs Pacers rather that Wizards Hawks?

Shame Celtics Bulls isn't on either :(

Pretty crap coverage of the playoffs so far by bt. It's on tnt in the states if you have mobdro.

I don't think there is a player in the NBA who's regular season game will be as adversely affected by the difference in post season play as Thomas.

He's a terrible defender and physically disadvantaged the 2 areas of the game which become far more vital in the post season.

I think the Celtics are pretty much set up to suffer in the post season.
    Horford has never excelled in the post season, if anything he's suffered a bit, the increased pace probably doesn't suit him.

When your two stars and primary offensive weapons aren't suited to the post season it's going to be a struggle.

I know Thomas has been great in 4th quarters this year but when Butler covers him all 4th quarter for consecutive games it's a different story.

I don't think the Bulls are going to beat them but I think Wizards and Raptors are far better designed to challenge the Cavs.

Obviously blip from Raptors but I'd still have confidence in them getting through.

Wizards have been my dark horse for months now, I think they're the biggest threat to the Cavs provided their starters stay healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Boston losing this game baring a miracle last minute. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Beast of a second half for butler.

Bad loss for Boston. They could be in trouble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Bulls are putting three experienced, big game players on the floor to start and have excellent physicality on D. They're a bad match up. That said, they're also a team that lost 41 games this year and have spacing and rotation problems

Listened to the open floor podcast on Friday or maybe it was Saturday when i was still in the states. They said the likely biggest upset would be Bulls over Boston and gave a lot of reasons for it (incl. the fact the pts differential between the teams was very close) - but they did say they couldn't really see it happening. Wouldn't rule it out now.....

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Bulls are putting three experienced, big game players on the floor to start and have excellent physicality on D. They're a bad match up. That said, they're also a team that lost 41 games this year and have spacing and rotation problems

I think their success could come down to Mirotic as the difference maker.
    You know what Butler, Rondo and Wade will give you to a level of certainty

However Pre All Star Mirotic was shooting 29% from 3, 50% TS and just one point over break even on his offensive/defensive rating plus just 9 points a game.

Post all star break 42% on 3s, 62% TS, 11 point positive differential and 14 points a game.

He only played 19 minutes and was 0/5 from 3 but if he can space the floor, Celtics are in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Nate McMillan last night:

1.) How many bench lineups did he play?

2.) Played a bench lineup with zero minutes literally all season together in a critical second quarter juncture, it got trounced.

3.) Defended Kevin Love with Lance and CJ Miles for multiple plays in a row.

4.) Had no idea how to solve a simple hard double on his best player so he just took him out of the offense completely for like a 6 minute stretch in the 4th.

5.) Still doesn't have suit pants that fit.

• Advertisement

Boston in big trouble again (sigh). If they lose this game it's over.

Unfortunately Boston just aren't set up to succeed in scenarios where individual match ups are so important.

The only fear I'd have is that Boston fans are blinded by their short term failings and not see the huge potential that the team has under Stevens/Ainge.

They've essentially built a No1 seed all be it in the East from mainly picks, great coaching and bargain contracts. They have loads of assets and cap space.

If I was in Stevens/Ainge's position I would let Thomas walk because someone will throw crazy money at him, trade Horford and gauge the market for Crowder. Quality wings are hard to come by in the NBA but I'd be thinking 15-18m range is the max for him.

Even without Crowder, they have lots on cheap contracts in Smart, Bradley, Brown, Johnson, Olynyk plus Ball/Fultz and whatever they get next year, Michael Porter Jr even if the Nets are awful again.
    I'd rather be a Boston fan losing in the first round this year than a Bulls fan making it to round 2.

I think most of that is true, but this will be terribly disappointing for Celts fans all the same. The Bulls have playoff time stars, the Celts don't. And, if the Bulls finish the job now, they'll have nothing to fear in the next round. A run is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

never really liked the Horford deal, he's a great player, but I never thought he is worth the money he's getting. Paul George or Jimmy Butler would have been so much better.

Bottom line (which has been ruthlessly exposed in the first two games) is that you can't have your best player be 5'9" and a defensive liability in playoff basketball. The Bulls have gone after him, just like the Cavs went after Steph Curry in last year's finals and danced all over him. An interested Rondo is a particularly bad match up for IT, as it's a physicality mismatch that the smaller player can't cope with.

As last season demonstrated in stark terms, the regular season ain't ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As last season demonstrated in stark terms, the regular season ain't ****.

I don't understand - the only upset was the Spurs losing to OKC in the 2nd round.

Finals upset was because Curry didn't return to 100%.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I don't understand - the only upset was the Spurs losing to OKC in the 2nd round.

Finals upset was because Curry didn't return to 100%.

oh yeah, Curry wasn't 100%. That old chestnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched raptors-bucks last night,raps got the win but still not convincing, lowry and derozan in particular havent got going yet,antetakoulumpo or whatever his bloody name is wasnt half as effective as the first game,the bucks have suprised me though and have some good players in middleton and monroe,this will be alot closer then i first thought and i couldnt call it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

oh yeah, Curry wasn't 100%. That old chestnut.

All of Steph's numbers were way down from the regular season, and he'd missed half of the Playoffs.
    I think it's fair to assess that he wasn't 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Playoff Rondo is some beast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement