Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The best series in the Play Offs so far has been Celtics Wizard because it went 7 games.

These Play Offs for the first time in NBA history could potentially feature two finalists going 4-0, 4-0, 4-0 to get there (I don't even need to fact check that to know it's true). I'm old enough and following basketball long enough to remember when pretty much every series went 6/7 games.
    It's all been so very boring (save for the C's - W's series, and maybe Houston - San An to a degree).

I think Boston's best chance in this series was to win one of the first two games, the first one last night as they'd be in battle mode and the Cavs would be rested and now Game 2 as the Cavs could mentally dial it down a bit due to winning game 1 and stealing home court back. But it just looks like it's going to be a bit of a walk. :(

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Strong performance from the King and the Cavs in game one

https://twitter.com/CLEsportsTalk/status/864954540298252292

Every time I see stuff like this the basketball looks like a tennis ball in his hands. And he's not the only one by any means. Freaky combo of size and athleticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Such a fun, entertaining regular season and the playoffs have just sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There shouldn't really be any surprise here though? The Cavs made a ton of changes coming up to transaction deadlines and had injuries, etc that disrupted their rotations. They were always due to get back on track and none of the East teams have looked capable of taking them down over a seven game series - the Celtics match up particularly badly. Similarly, any tiny run of patchy form the Warriors had revolved around unavailability of players.

The big problem now is that, with Durant added to the Warriors, the Finals is probably due to be less competitive than the previous two years. A rematch of Warriors / OKC or Warriors / Cavs with similar rosters to last year would have been great, and we'd probably be enjoying a great Western Final with a great Finals series to come.

The NBA is getting away with all of this though, stadiums are packed and TV ratings are solid. We'll have to buckle up for the next few years too, as the Warriors roster is likely to stay together and LeBron should be able to maintain is current superhero mode for another season or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Hazys wrote: »
    Celtics get #1

I wonder will they go for Fultz and move I.Thomas on?

• Advertisement

It was being reported/speculated that was a scenario a few weeks back but given how Thomas has played recently it's hard to see that happening now. As a straight swop it would undoubtedly equal regression in the short term.

The biggest factor however is Thomas is pretty much the perfect guard for the Brad Stevens system, so again, while it was a possibility if say they went out in Round 1 to Chicago (and but for Rondo's injury we'll never know), but I just can't see it now. I'm not saying Thomas is All-World btw, I just feel keeping him is a better bet than trading right now UNLESS something ridiculous pops up.

They have to do something other than just pick 1 this summer. They either have to trade (+ other assets) that for a Butler or a George or keep it and go after someone anyway, but just the addition of a rookie (even the 1 pick) won't take them to the next level. And I say all of this as a C's fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Every time I see stuff like this the basketball looks like a tennis ball in his hands. And he's not the only one by any means. Freaky combo of size and athleticism.

LeBron actually has one of the biggest hands in the NBA; slightly smaller than Michael Jordan's.

Only players I know who definitely have bigger hands are Kawhi, Boban & Giannis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

https://twitter.com/Bballforeverfb/status/478328323655737344/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ffoxsportsradio.iheart.com%2Farticles%2Fthe-locker-room-486404%2Fthe-largest-hands-in-the-nba-12467252%2F

I guess by proportion Rondo would be up there too. I always thought his hands and arms just look unnaturally big compared to the rest of his body.

mixery wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Bballforeverfb/status/478328323655737344/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ffoxsportsradio.iheart.com%2Farticles%2Fthe-locker-room-486404%2Fthe-largest-hands-in-the-nba-12467252%2F

I guess by proportion Rondo would be up there too. I always thought his hands and arms just look unnaturally big compared to the rest of his body.

His arms are extraordinarily long alright, as are Giannis'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think the Celtics will keep Fultz rather than trade the pick for say Paul George or Jimmy Butler. They are likely going to get swept by the Cavs so even the addition of George or Butler isn't going to put them over the top against the Cavs while Lebron is still playing at this level. The Celtics won't want to trade away the future so they can be in a strong position in the east when Lebron finally does begin to decline.

Figure they will draft Fultz and try and get Hayward in free agency thereby keeping all their picks. They'll be in the lottery again next year with the final Nets pick too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

It was being reported/speculated that was a scenario a few weeks back but given how Thomas has played recently it's hard to see that happening now. As a straight swop it would undoubtedly equal regression in the short term.

The biggest factor however is Thomas is pretty much the perfect guard for the Brad Stevens system, so again, while it was a possibility if say they went out in Round 1 to Chicago (and but for Rondo's injury we'll never know), but I just can't see it now. I'm not saying Thomas is All-World btw, I just feel keeping him is a better bet than trading right now UNLESS something ridiculous pops up.

They have to do something other than just pick 1 this summer. They either have to trade (+ other assets) that for a Butler or a George or keep it and go after someone anyway, but just the addition of a rookie (even the 1 pick) won't take them to the next level. And I say all of this as a C's fan.

The whole thing is really intriguing, there is no easy answer to the scenario.
    I do agree they will need more than a rookie to take them to the next level, but maybe a big talent in the draft will attract free agents like Hayward and future free agents like George. Not sure on the Celtics contract situations and cap space.
    As good as Thomas is, I think he could be dispensable, he is like a poor mans Westbrook, and that's not to take anything away from him, he has been superb but Iam not sure if you win it all with him.
    He is a big liability on the defensive end, Cavs are really exposing it.

I think the Celtics will keep Fultz rather than trade the pick for say Paul George or Jimmy Butler. They are likely going to get swept by the Cavs so even the addition of George or Butler isn't going to put them over the top against the Cavs while Lebron is still playing at this level. The Celtics won't want to trade away the future so they can be in a strong position in the east when Lebron finally does begin to decline.

Figure they will draft Fultz and try and get Hayward in free agency thereby keeping all their picks. They'll be in the lottery again next year with the final Nets pick too.

You can't keep playing for the future in a "win now" league though. It'll take 2-3years before either lottery pick become a major contributor and then everyone else 2-3 years older. They have to do more.

All NBA Teams - a couple of surprises - DeRozan in and no Klay being the big ones for me. Klay being punished for being Ringo.

2016-17 ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM
    Pos. | Player (Team) | 1st team votes | 2nd team votes | 3rd team votes | Total

F | LeBron James (Cleveland) | 99 | 1 | -- | 498

F | Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio) | 96 | 3 | 1 | 490

C | Anthony Davis (New Orleans) | 45 | 34 | 16 | 343

G | James Harden (Houston) | 100 | -- | -- | 500

G | Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City) | 99 | 1 | -- | 498

2016-17 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM

F | Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee) | -- | 81 | 15 | 258

F | Kevin Durant (Golden State) | 3 | 66 | 26 | 239

C | Rudy Gobert (Utah) | 43 | 38 | 10 | 339

G | Stephen Curry (Golden State) | 1 | 93 | 6 | 290

G | Isaiah Thomas (Boston) | -- | 71 | 23 | 236

2016-17 ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM

F | Draymond Green (Golden State) | 4 | 21 | 51 | 134

F | Jimmy Butler (Chicago) | -- | 19 | 45 | 102

C | DeAndre Jordan (LA Clippers) | 3 | 7 | 18 | 54

G | John Wall (Washington) | -- | 19 | 68 | 125

G | DeMar DeRozan (Toronto) | -- | 4 | 50 | 62

All NBA Teams - a couple of surprises - DeRozan in and no Klay being the big ones for me. Klay being punished for being Ringo.

Going to steal the Ringo analogy btw 😂
    Now let's see what the Celtics have to offer tonight, hopefully it gets physical and intense

Going to steal the Ringo analogy btw 😂
    Now let's see what the Celtics have to offer tonight, hopefully it gets physical and intense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

61-24 with 3:51 left in the 2nd, the most one sided half you will ever see. Celtics have been woeful.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Cavs up by 39 in the second quarter

Such a beating....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Celtics getting killed. Just reinforces the point that they should not trade the number 1 for George or Paul. They need BOTH to compete with the Cavs. The Celts have to be looking 2 or 3 years down the road when Lebron may finally begin to fade. Maybe.

Absolutely woeful, just pathetic from the Celtics, one thing losing convincingly but this is just embarrassing

Anyone that thinks the Warriors are dead cert on winning the NBA hasn't watched this Cavs team. LeBron is superhuman, plus when you take their top 3 with LeBron, Kyrie and Love, that's pretty sensational

Well, that was close.

• Advertisement

The Cavs played beautiful dominant team basketball last night. Completely latched onto the Celtic's weaknesses and viciously exploited them for all they were worth. IT was hooked after 18 mins where he managed 2 points from 0 - 6 shooting.

The Celtics should offload him imo, as painful as it will be. I give him tons of credit, for his scoring in the modern NBA at his size is a gargantuan feat. But the big man physical game of the playoffs turns him into a liability. The Celtics will not win a championship with him on the floor.

The Cavs played beautiful dominant team basketball last night. Completely latched onto the Celtic's weaknesses and viciously exploited them for all they were worth. IT was hooked after 18 mins where he managed 2 points from 0 - 6 shooting.

The Celtics should offload him imo, as painful as it will be. I give him tons of credit, for his scoring in the modern NBA at his size is a gargantuan feat. But the big man physical game of the playoffs turns him into a liability. The Celtics will not win a championship with him on the floor.

Ah, did you see the game? He got injured. He wasn't hooked.

Ah, did you see the game? He got injured. He wasn't hooked.

Just saw the highlights and didn't pick up on the injury - but I read a write up after reading your post and Stevens said after he has had a hip ailment since the Wizards game - which is a shame.

I'd still stand by my contention that they should move him on. With their picks and cap space they have paths to a Championship without him.

Must be a very exciting time to be a Celtics fan despite the result of the first two games!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Well this was in my mind last night

David Lee also lost last night to the Spurs. Was a reasonably close game for stretches, but now looking like we're heading for two sweeps.

Isiah Thomas out for the rest of the playoffs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

As everyone said at the start of the year it's cabs warriors final but it's been a very entertaining season none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

nerd69 wrote: »
    As everyone said at the start of the year it's cabs warriors final but it's been a very entertaining season none the less

Disagreed.

We got robbed of a Kawhi-led Spurs vs All-Star Warriors series.

Has it? The playoffs have not and it's ever clearer that the Cavs and Warriors were sandbagging relative to their capabilities. Which leaves us with what? Russel's personal quest? Being awed by the Greek Freak? Flashes from Embiid?

The season was interesting. The Play Offs have been awful save for the Celtics Wizards game.

Isiah Thomas out for the rest of the Play Offs too, well the 2 remaining Boston games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Has it? The playoffs have not and it's ever clearer that the Cavs and Warriors were sandbagging relative to their capabilities. Which leaves us with what? Russel's personal quest? Being awed by the Greek Freak? Flashes from Embiid?

Compared to recent regular seasons those story's have been amazing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement