Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

nerd69 wrote: »
    Compared to recent regular seasons those story's have been amazing

I don't know how the NBA gets away with it tbh. I'll watch and keep watching because I'm beholden to the sport at this stage. But it is the least competitive major American sport imo with the lowest percentage of actually relative minutes from tip off to Championship presentation.

The first couple of days of free agency are interesting, particularly last year with Durant moving. Then the first couple of months are engaging as you see preseason expectations settle in to reality. But by Christmas bad teams are already beginning to pack it in, and very few games in March and April actually matter - particularly in the current landscape where the Warriors and Cavs are so superior to their opposition. I mean, I even got into the question of the #1 seed in the East over the last few games - lol at all that.

It's the illusion of competitiveness. To add some substance to my point, over the last three seasons:

- the same two teams have contested the Finals
    - including this year, of 42 playoff contests in the East and West, only 7 will be won by the lower seeded team (Cleveland accounting for two of those in the 2015 and 2017 ECF finals)
    - 8 of the 30 teams have missed the 16 team playoffs each of the three seasons

It's stagnant. Hopefully the finals are everything we hoped for.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/flipping-the-switch/

Good article on switching from the offensive perspective.

Weird second half. Outright disinterested game from LeBron - he was absolutely awful. Cavs were terrible, Boston kept playing, and everything fell for them also. Bizarre. I think it's just a blip, but shows a chink ahead of the finals. That said, coasting after a 44 point game and being up 16 at HT probably normal enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Weird second half. Outright disinterested game from LeBron - he was absolutely awful. Cavs were terrible, Boston kept playing, and everything fell for them also. Bizarre. I think it's just a blip, but shows a chink ahead of the finals. That said, coasting after a 44 point game and being up 16 at HT probably normal enough.

I had money on the Cavs last night. :mad:

Btw, at half-time Boston were 500/1 to win on Paddy Power, had a quick loo but didn't bite.. :mad:

I had money on the Cavs last night. :mad:

Btw, at half-time Boston were 500/1 to win on Paddy Power, had a quick loo but didn't bite.. :mad:

500/1, jaysus. The Cavs were 16.5 favourites - a remarkable spread for a Conference Finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Btw, at half-time Boston were 500/1 to win on Paddy Power, had a quick loo but didn't bite..

That'd kill me if I'd seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How about some credit when credit is due? Not to pick on LuckyLloyd in particular but this is the same narrative I've seen on ESPN all morning, flashing LeBron as the headline of the game, ignoring that the Celtics where even involved in the game.

How about the Celtics going on the road for their 16th game in 34 days after two abysmal performances where all hope is lost without their best player, down 21 at one stage then they shut LeBron down in the 4th and win the game?

Kinda annoying how every win or loss is all about LeBron.

Also, maybe LeBron played bad because the Celtics tactics worked? Not just because he felt off tonight.

Hazys wrote: »
    How about some credit when credit is due? Not to pick on LuckyLloyd in particular but this is the same narrative I've seen on ESPN all morning, flashing LeBron as the headline of the game, ignoring that the Celtics where even involved in the game.

How about the Celtics going on the road for their 16th game in 34 days after two abysmal performances where all hope is lost without their best player, down 21 at one stage then they shut LeBron down in the 4th and win the game?

Kinda annoying how every win or loss is all about LeBron.

Also, maybe LeBron played bad because the Celtics tactics worked? Not just because he felt off tonight.

Meh, line for game four is 15 points despite the result last night. The Cavs checked out in the second half. It's more a reality than a narrative. I certainly give the Celtics credit for continuing to play hard but it would be foolish to ignore what actually happened like.

The most amazing thing for me about last night is not that Boston won BUt that they scored 111 without Thomas. They haven't excatly lit up the PPG all year and to that without IT was remarkable for me.

500/1, jaysus. The Cavs were 16.5 favourites - a remarkable spread for a Conference Finals.

I know. And I hopped on it figuring they'd be in kill mode. My fear was they'd be up 30 early and then rest the big(ish) 3 thus putting pressure on the line, but when I factored Thomas' injury into it I couldn't see them coming within 20. I'm still up on the year, but that one hurt as I went large. :mad: If only I'd hedged at half-time and thrown a tenner on Boston. FFS!

• Advertisement

Could be Manu's last game tonight. The word is used too often but it applies to him - LEGEND.

In an airport again and listening to the Bill Simmons podcast. Here's a stat I didn't know - the Cavs shot 36 free throws the other night v 12 for Boston............and the stats for the series so far are 90+ v 40+ (I forget the exact figues). Some might say that's a little higher than your average margin of error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Much better from Lebron tonight. But this game was all about Kyrie Irving. When Lebron had 4 fouls in the first half, Cleveland down 10+ points. He took over the rest of the game, A career playoff high 42 points. He was a scoring machine and his performance inspired his teammates to victory.

Stevens deserves a huge amount of credit for rejigging the offense to good effect without IT - it's also clear his absence helps them defensively. The Cavs had it figured out by the fourth though and I expect game five to be a formality.

Stevens deserves a huge amount of credit for rejigging the offense to good effect without IT - it's also clear his absence helps them defensively. The Cavs had it figured out by the fourth though and I expect game five to be a formality.

Fo sho. I didn't really expect them to win 1 game tbh.

Funny comment from Simmons was that if Boston had 100 time outs a game they'd beat anyone. :D

Watched a good video/article on si.com over the last few days which shows all the plays Boston ran after time-outs in game 3. It's interesting in a nerdy way. Can't link as on mobile but should be easy enough to find.

Fo sho. I didn't really expect them to win 1 game tbh.

Funny comment from Simmons was that if Boston had 100 time outs a game they'd beat anyone. :D

Watched a good video/article on si.com over the last few days which shows all the plays Boston ran after time-outs in game 3. It's interesting in a nerdy way. Can't link as on mobile but should be easy enough to find.

LeBron was extremely complimentary of the variety and effectiveness of their plays out of timeouts in the post game presser. Praised Stevens generally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Catch 22 not having Thomas on the floor, helps the defense immensely but hurts them down the stretch when they are looking for scores.
    Celtic fans should be very pleased with the effort the last two games, showing some pride.
    I think Horford could be a little more aggressive offensively

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

It was a joke that Stephens was not really considered for coty best coach in the league outside of pop in my opinion

LeBron was sick for game three, which makes sense.

LeBron was sick for game three, which makes sense.

Funny how that information gets out.

• Advertisement

Lonzo Ball has refused to workout for the Celtics, how pathetic is that?

So many red flags:
    1. If he was a true competitor, wouldn't he want to prove he was the No. 1 player in the draft
    2. His clown of a Dad has too much influence over him so the apple must not fall far from the tree
    3. He has a once in a blue moon opportunity to be a top pick in the draft and join one of the best teams in the league but is spurning it to become a celebrity in LA and join a poor Lakers team.

If i was the Lakers, I would seriously have to question taking Lonzo Ball. Basketball is not his No. 1 priority.

Buyer Drafter Beware

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

So many red flags:
    1. If he was a true competitor, wouldn't he want to prove he was the No. 1 player in the draft
    2. His clown of a Dad has too much influence over him so the apple must not fall far from the tree
    3. He has a once in a blue moon opportunity to be a top pick in the draft and join one of the best teams in the league but is spurning it to become a celebrity in LA and join a poor Lakers team.

If i was the Lakers, I would seriously have to question taking Lonzo Ball. Basketball is not his No. 1 priority.

Buyer Drafter Beware

If the Lakers get turned off him he will fall very far, nobody wants that attitude and interference from his father.

Catch 22 not having Thomas on the floor, helps the defense immensely but hurts them down the stretch when they are looking for scores.
    Celtic fans should be very pleased with the effort the last two games, showing some pride.
    I think Horford could be a little more aggressive offensively
    The Celtics may be better off trading Thomas. They are clearly better without him and his trade value is at its peak. Thomas is a star player but because of his height​ he has too many limitations to be 'The man" on a championship contending team.

So many red flags:

Buyer Drafter Beware
    It would be funny to see The Lakers pass on Ball and go with Fox. Ball would then likely end up in that joke of an organisation in Sacramento.

Funny how that information gets out.

Seems true on the evidence of last night's beat down.

Anyway, the NBA Playoffs can start in six days. The Warriors can't be strong enough favourites. A team that won 73 games added Kevin ****ing Durant. And people just kinda scoff it off like he's just some great scorer. We've seen great players play together, we've never seen 4 guys in the dead heat of their prime who mesh together and are coached this well on the same team. Durant and Steph are all time greats - Klay and Dramond are perfect compliments to them. This could very well be the best basketball team of all time.

They face a man who makes it possible of course, but "possible" is as far as I'd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The Celtics may be better off trading Thomas. They are clearly better without him and his trade value is at its peak. Thomas is a star player but because of his height​ he has too many limitations to be 'The man" on a championship contending team.

Trading him because you want to build around fultz is fair enough but the celtics are absoloutly not better without him

So many red flags:

Buyer Drafter Beware

I'm a Celtics fan and I think Balll has enormous potential on he right team. (even with that shot).

The no workout thing? Ball is harldy the first player to do that. In fact it's almost become the norm for anyone lottery bound not to do it in recent years. This has bed led by agents who don't want their player's stock value to drop by having a bad workout. I don't agree with it myself personally, but this is nothing new - and you can't blame Ball without saying the same of every other player who's done it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LeBron with another quiet 35/8/8 night to pass Michael Jordan on the All-Time Playoffs scoring list.

• Advertisement

I am going for Cleveland over Golden State in 6 games.
    Lebron is playing great, Love has never been better and Kyrie is in great form. You have Tristan Thompson who has improved his inside game and also from the free throw line. Add to that the addition of Williams as a backup​ PG, (impressive last night). And Korver is another weapon from the outside. Smith and Shumpert are playing well also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement