Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hazys wrote: »
    Funny how that information gets out.

Just like the Jordan Finals flu game then....oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Dubs in 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

All set up for another epic finals, extremely nervous about the Cavs, people harp on about the warriors getting Durrant (justifiably) but Cavs are pretty stacked too. Lebron James defies logic at times.
    I think if Warriors keep their cool they should be able win this one.
    Passed on tickets for game 2, going to wait for game 5, first finals, can't wait.

All set up for another epic finals, extremely nervous about the Cavs, people harp on about the warriors getting Durrant (justifiably) but Cavs are pretty stacked too. Lebron James defies logic at times.
    Passed on tickets for game 2, going to wait for game 5, first finals, can't wait.

Lucky you.

I'm in the US from may 39th - June 10th with work. I'm not hear either city but night try and get to one game if I can, depending on how much it's likely to cost.

The warriors are on some run btw, 27-1 over their last 28games.

Also slightly risky if it doesn't go 5.....unlikely as I think Cleveland wins at least 1 in Cleveland, but there's a small chance nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lucky you.

I'm in the US from may 39th - June 10th with work. I'm not hear either city but night try and get to one game if I can, depending on how much it's likely to cost.

who beat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Lucky you.

who beat them?

Lost to Utah beginning of April 105 to 99.

Lucky you.

Well, if your near Oakland it's going to be minimum of $500 for a ticket, pretty outrageous but it is what it is.
    Paid $650 for club level tickets for Spurs game

A little bit risky but I think we are safe, my friend made the call as we get the tickets through his account, he gets first access. I wanted to go to game 2 but he wanted to wait for it to come back. Only going to be able to go to one finals game, would be unreal if it was close out.
    Who knows what will happen, bar one game in this post season Warriors have strolled though, been too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I really don't understand why GSW are such hot favourites to win these finals. Look at it from a match-up perspective.
    I'm taking Irving over Curry any day. He has better handles, He's a much better finnisher at the rim and he's a closer.
    Lebron is obviously better than Durrant and Kevin Love is easily a better all round basketball player than Dreymon Green. Tristan Thompson this year has stepped up his game and he's better than a dude named 'Zaza' The only starting march up I'd give to GSW is Klay Thompson over JR and there's only so much ball to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I really don't understand why GSW are such hot favourites to win these finals. Look at it from a match-up perspective.
    I'm taking Irving over Curry any day. He has better handles, He's a much better finnisher at the rim and he's a closer.
    Lebron is obviously better than Durrant and Kevin Love is easily a better all round basketball player than Dreymon Green. Tristan Thompson this year has stepped up his game and he's better than a dude named 'Zaza' The only starting march up I'd give to GSW is Klay Thompson over JR and there's only so much ball to go around.

Your wrong golden state have 4 of the 5 best players in this series how you think love is better all round than dreymobd is baffling

• Advertisement

You'll fit right in here on this thread with posts like that! :rolleyes:

nerd69 wrote: »
    Your wrong golden state have 4 of the 5 best players in this series how you think love is better all round than dreymobd is baffling

Baffling? or Obvious

Loves scores more points, grabs more rebounds, shoots a better percentage from 3 and he's by far the better free throw shooter. As a match up love has the height and weight advantage. Green is also far more likely to commit fouls and pick up tecs, because he's a loose cannon. Love can bang in the paint but maintain focus and self-control.
    Both physically and mentally, Love is the better all-rounder​.

nerd69 wrote: »

Baffling? or Obvious

Loves scores more points, grabs more rebounds, shoots a better percentage from 3 and he's by far the better free throw shooter. As a match up love has the height and weight advantage. Green is also far more likely to commit fouls and pick up tecs, because he's a loose cannon. Love can bang in the paint but maintain focus and self-control.

The points you are trying to make are valid but maybe it's the way you are trying to make them seem immature.
    Granted Love is an exceptional player and is hitting form again, saying he is better than Green with no room for discussion is wrong, it's an opinion, yea, he grabs more rebounds, shoots better percentage etc but you forgot to mention Green averages more steels and blocks plus his plus/minus is better. They are different types of players, Green can be too impulsive at times but he has more of an edge, a quality you can't put a number on, he can change the whole attitude of how his team plays just by his own play.

As for Kyrie being better than Curry, well that is also debatable, Kyrie is fantastic and not a great matchup for Curry but Curry is arguably the greatest shooter of all time and has even kind changed how the game is played. Watching Curry getting hot in a game is something else, he can turn a game on its head in 2 mins.

As you say, Cavs match up well against the Warriors and they play them really physically which can throw the Warriors off but as a whole the Warriors are a better team, it will come down to how much of the weight Lebron will carry and who will be the second best player in the series.
    Let's say Lebron is best player, he will need Irving or love to be second best
    Same for warriors, if Durrant is best player, he will need another warriors player to be second best

Baffling? or Obvious

:rolleyes:

Where do I even start?

The game is not just about stats you know? Look who Green is sharing the floor with. His primary job is not to score. It's to be the anchor on which the defence is built. He's also one of those rare players who could score 0 in a game and still have an enormous impact on the game. He does everything really well.

If you were to ask all 30 NBA coaches who'd they'd rather have on their team between the two it wouldn't even be close - it would be Green in 95%+ if not the full 100.

FWIW, I'm a huge Love fan. On the right team (one built around his skill set) he could be perceived as a Top 10 NBA player. It's your classic "guy looks good in one system and not so good in another" sitaution. When he was in Minnesota I overlooked his non-existant defence and considered him truly elite, esp. offensively. When there was a chance he'd leave I wanted him to go to Boston as I thought he'd fit seamlessly into that offence. He went to Cleveland and it's been frankly disappointing - even with the Championship last year. He's been injured in fairness but his production has dropped enormously. Is he better than he looks in Cleveland? Yes. Will he ever get back to the production level of the TWolves? I can't see it. His stock has dropped enormously. Don't forget the Cavs were actively looking to trade him after the Finals last year and he was the one they were lining up to blame if they lost in the Finals (and they likely would have but for Draymond's suspension).

I still think he's a far better player than he looks in Cleveland, and I'd still take him in a heartbeart if he were available. But over Draymond green? Not a chance.

Normally I quite like Coach Nick's B'Ball Breakdown videos but this is just awful, what was he thinking?

The original will likely feel very dated to most of you if you haven't heard it, but at the time it was ground-breaking:

For context it was 1984, I was much younger then!

The points you are trying to make are valid but maybe it's the way you are trying to make them seem immature.
    Granted Love is an exceptional player and is hitting form again, saying he is better than Green with no room for discussion is wrong, it's an opinion, yea, he grabs more rebounds, shoots better percentage etc but you forgot to mention Green averages more steels and blocks plus his plus/minus is better. They are different types of players, Green can be too impulsive at times but he has more of an edge, a quality you can't put a number on, he can change the whole attitude of how his team plays just by his own play.

As for Kyrie being better than Curry, well that is also debatable, Kyrie is fantastic and not a great matchup for Curry but Curry is arguably the greatest shooter of all time and has even kind changed how the game is played. Watching Curry getting hot in a game is something else, he can turn a game on its head in 2 mins.

As you say, Cavs match up well against the Warriors and they play them really physically which can throw the Warriors off but as a whole the Warriors are a better team, it will come down to how much of the weight Lebron will carry and who will be the second best player in the series.
    Same for warriors, if Durrant is best player, he will need another warriors player to be second best

The physical battle will be won by Cleveland. Referee's tend to swallow their whistle in the finals, Apart from Green GS are soft. Charles Barkley calls them The Skinny Jeans team. Curry is a great shooter but no PG in the league creates space inside and finishes at the rim like Kyrie. He is also clutch when the pressure is on in the finals, Which is something that can't be said for Curry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The physical battle will be won by Cleveland. Referee's tend to swallow their whistle in the finals, Apart from Green GS are soft. Charles Barkley calls them The Skinny Jeans team. Curry is a great shooter but no PG in the league creates space inside and finishes at the rim like Kyrie. He is also clutch when the pressure is on in the finals, Which is something that can't be said for Curry
    Kyrie has only been to the Finals once (I'll forgive 2015 since his knee blew out). I won't call him clutch until I see a 10-game sample size.

Also... "no PG finishies at the rim like him"?
    Have we already forgotten 2016 Unanimous MVP Curry?
    goldsberry-warriors-3.png?quality=90&strip=info&w=575&ssl=1
    (source)

Please also consider:
    NBA.com's "Players - Defense" stats (regular season) have Steph at 3rd. In the league. Kyrie Irving is 168th (Playoffs are 4th and 16th, respectively)

That's fair enough to think the Cavs will be more physical but I've watched 90% + of the Warriors this year and they are far from soft, it was only a few weeks ago the media were calling them the dirtiest team in the NBA. I love Barkley but he has never like the Warriors going back to his playing days, he has also been proven to be wrong on many an occasion, didn't he say the warriors would never win a championship and here they are at their 3rd finals....
    Yea get that you have a hard on for Kyrie, which is fine as he is an exceptional player but their could be a few players to argue they finish just as good if not better, Westbrook.....
    Curry has MVPs, 3 point records, an NBA championship, hall of fame career already, I think his body of work speaks for itself at this point
    We will see how it plays out, I won't assume to know how it will

Where do I even start?

The game is not just about stats you know? Look who Green is sharing the floor with. His primary job is not to score. It's to be the anchor on which the defence is built. He's also one of those rare players who could score 0 in a game and still have an enormous impact on the game. He does everything really well.

If you were to ask all 30 NBA coaches who'd they'd rather have on their team between the two it wouldn't even be close - it would be Green in 95%+ if not the full 100.

FWIW, I'm a huge Love fan. On the right team (one built around his skill set) he could be perceived as a Top 10 NBA player. It's your classic "guy looks good in one system and not so good in another" sitaution. When he was in Minnesota I overlooked his non-existant defence and considered him truly elite, esp. offensively. When there was a chance he'd leave I wanted him to go to Boston as I thought he'd fit seamlessly into that offence. He went to Cleveland and it's been frankly disappointing - even with the Championship last year. He's been injured in fairness but his production has dropped enormously. Is he better than he looks in Cleveland? Yes. Will he ever get back to the production level of the TWolves? I can't see it. His stock has dropped enormously. Don't forget the Cavs were actively looking to trade him after the Finals last year and he was the one they were lining up to blame if they lost in the Finals (and they likely would have but for Draymond's suspension).

I still think he's a far better player than he looks in Cleveland, and I'd still take him in a heartbeart if he were available. But over Draymond green? Not a chance.

I guess I'm not looking at it without some bias. I understand Green brings more to the table than the stats show. He's a top player, one of the best in his position. But I would go for Love in the match up situation. For me love is playing great right now, A different role than he had with MT but a vitally important one nonetheless. What he does he does great. He can score from anywhere, at the rim or from outside, he gets boards 'No Rebounds No Rings'
    Personally I'd take a combination of Love and Thompson over Green and a dude named 'Zaza" anyday

Where do I even start?

I guess I'm not looking at it without some bias. I understand Green brings more to the table than the stats show. He's a top player, one of the best in his position. But I would go for Love in the match up situation. For me love is playing great right now, A different role than he had with MT but a vitally important one nonetheless. What he does he does great. He can score from anywhere, at the rim or from outside, he gets boards 'No Rebounds No Rings'
    Personally I'd take a combination of Love and Thompson over Green and a dude named 'Zaza" anyday

Iam intrigued to the issue you have with his name, what are you, 12? Call him Zaur if it makes you feel better. Surely someone's name doesn't define their game ?

• Advertisement

That's fair enough to think the Cavs will be more physical but I've watched 90% + of the Warriors this year and they are far from soft, it was only a few weeks ago the media were calling them the dirtiest team in the NBA. I love Barkley but he has never like the Warriors going back to his playing days, he has also been proven to be wrong on many an occasion, didn't he say the warriors would never win a championship and here they are at their 3rd finals....
    Yea get that you have a hard on for Kyrie, which is fine as he is an exceptional player but their could be a few players to argue they finish just as good if not better, Westbrook.....
    Curry has MVPs, 3 point records, an NBA championship, hall of fame career already, I think his body of work speaks for itself at this point

I don't know about that, I'm of the mindset that Curry is not as great as some sports media outlets or his fanboys​ on social media make him out to be. There are no rings awarded for regular season play and for me Curry's performances in finals have not lived up to the the hype of his regular season awards. It was Iguodala who was the difference maker in 2015 and although Lebron was the finals MVP last year, He couldn't have done it without Kyrie, I need to see allot more from Curry before I call him great. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, Bryant, Lebron, are great for me Curry is nowhere near that list.

Iam intrigued to the issue you have with his name, what are you, 12? Call him Zaur if it makes you feel better. Surely someone's name doesn't define their game ?

Zaza is not a great player, He's a Goon. You saw what he did to Kawhi Leonard in Game one of the Eastern conference finals. One if the dirtiest things you can do on a basketball court.

Zaza is not a great player, He's a Goon. You saw what he did to Kawhi Leonard in Game one of the Eastern conference finals. One if the dirtiest things you can do on a basketball court.

And that has something to do with his name because ???? Who ever said he was a great player ???

I don't know about that, I'm of the mindset that Curry is not as great as some sports media outlets or his fanboys​ on social media make him out to be. There are no rings awarded for regular season play and for me Curry's performances in finals have not lived up to the the hype of his regular season awards. It was Iguodala who was the difference maker in 2015 and although Lebron was the finals MVP last year, He couldn't have done it without Kyrie, I need to see allot more from Curry before I call him great. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, Bryant, Lebron, are great for me Curry is nowhere near that list.

Fair enough skip, get the feeling that no matter what anyone says or what is presented to you, your mind is already made up. I don't think anyone can argue that he has had a pretty good post season so far, let's see how the finals pan out.
    I will hold my hands up in saying Iam a fanboy, I've watched the majority of his games since he entered the league, a good shot in the flesh, he is a special player both on and off the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Im probably in the minority that think Kyrie is overated. He is a wizard around the rim but Id see him as sub par-average in a lot of other catagories. Flashy highlights and headline clutch play cover up a lot.

Cannot wait for the finals, incredibly I could see it going 4-0, 3-4 or anything in between.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Im probably in the minority that think Kyrie is overated. He is a wizard around the rim but Id see him as sub par-average in a lot of other catagories. Flashy highlights and headline clutch play cover up a lot.

Cannot wait for the finals, incredibly I could see it going 4-0, 3-4 or anything in between.

Kyrie is the guy you want to make the impossible shot in traffic. Overall though I do think he's over-rated - now I'm saying that in context. Do I think he's All Star level? Yes, probably. Is he one of the betetr guards in the East? Offensively, yes. Defensively, no. Across the entire league? Offensively, yes; defensively, no and overall, no. Is he better than Curry? No. I'm sorry but you have to be really biased to think that.

So your dismissing a 2 time MVP the leagues only unanimous MVP the best player on a team that won the most regular season games in history and one of the all time great 3 point shooters in an era of pace and space because he's not won a finals MVP?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really don't know what inspires such extreme perspectives on the sport.

The Cavs do match up well with Golden State in the sense that they are more primed than any other team in the league to exploit the Warrior's 'switch everything' defensive approach. JR / Kyrie / Love can all get theirs when iso'd up and it allows the Cavs to place more pressure on Curry to defend than any other team in the league. Thompson is also a perfect big man for this series as he can cover smaller players reasonably well in space off the pnr and will have an edge on the boards against the Warriors.

However, on the other end the Cavs have been giving up bucket loads of open threes and that can be death against the Warriors even though the Cavs are the one team in the league who might keep pace for stretches in a shootout. The Cavs also demonstrated dreadful transition D during the regular season and getting destroyed in that respect can contribute to huge momentum shifts that are hard to deal with.

But, honestly, leaving aside matchup details (and both sides will have well studied last year's series and be adjusting accordingly) and the greatness of the King, on the simplest level the Warriors will take the floor with the 2nd to fifth best players in the series, with a Draymond Green and Klay Thompson alternating third / fourth options. That is devastating.

Anything can happen, but a Warrior's sweep is genuinely one of the most likely combinations of results. The bookmaker odds reflect that reality.

I'm really torn. I think the Warriors can sweep, but I don't think they will. I think Cleveland win 1 at home at least, maybe even Game 1 on the road as Game 1 is almost always close; but I see 4-0 or 4-1 as the likely results. I can't see it going 7, but I've been very wrong before so who knows!

• Advertisement

I'm really torn. I think the Warriors can sweep, but I don't think they will. I think Cleveland win 1 at home at least, maybe even Game 1 on the road as Game 1 is almost always close; but I see 4-0 or 4-1 as the likely results. I can't see it going 7, but I've been very wrong before so who knows!

I'd be shocked at a sweep have to imagine lebron will superman a win or two

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement