Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Fair enough skip, get the feeling that no matter what anyone says or what is presented to you, your mind is already made up. I don't think anyone can argue that he has had a pretty good post season so far, let's see how the finals pan out.
    I will hold my hands up in saying Iam a fanboy, I've watched the majority of his games since he entered the league, a good shot in the flesh, he is a special player both on and off the court.

I'll admit, I do watch First Take/Undisputed. But I don't agree that my opinions are set in stone.I can change my mind depending on what see and I think it premature to put the greatness tag on Curry. He has had two very good. regular season runs, on a stacked team built to facilitate his style, I don't think he'd be half as effective on another tea. The addition of Durrant also showed weaknesses on the part of Curry.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Im probably in the minority that think Kyrie is overated. He is a wizard around the rim but Id see him as sub par-average in a lot of other catagories. Flashy highlights and headline clutch play cover up a lot.

Cannot wait for the finals, incredibly I could see it going 4-0, 3-4 or anything in between.
    If anything he's underrated. Since​ when is being clutch a bad thing? Close game are won when time is running out and the pressure is on. If are a Cavs fan, You want the ball in his hands in crunch time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If anything he's underrated. Since​ when is being clutch a bad thing? Close game are won when time is running out and the pressure is on. If are a Cavs fan, You want the ball in his hands in crunch time

He didn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Curry was a unanimous MVP because he was the focal point player on a 73 win team and individually exemplified their style. During the 2015 finals he started slowly, and during the 2016 finals he performed quite poorly relative to his regular season feats. Apparently injury was to blame in 2016, and 2015 is ignored because his team ultimately won in the end.

He is definitely already a great player, guaranteed to be a Hall of Famer, and probably the greatest jump shooter of all time. I think it's valid to question whether you could build a championship team from scratch around him alone, but then again MJ had help; and Kobe went 34 - 48 in 2004 / 5 when he had no help. The idea that Curry should be criticized because he thrives in a system that provides a platform for his strengths is ludicrous. Nor does it matter if he'd be less effective on, say, the Knicks. It's also allowable for Curry be a great player who is less great in an ultra physical finals series against opponents that successfully force him into doing a high volume of what he's weakest at.

So yeah Eyes Down Field, I think you're talking through your hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Fair enough skip, get the feeling that no matter what anyone says or what is presented to you, your mind is already made up. I don't think anyone can argue that he has had a pretty good post season so far, let's see how the finals pan out.
    I will hold my hands up in saying Iam a fanboy, I've watched the majority of his games since he entered the league, a good shot in the flesh, he is a special player both on and off the court.

I'll admit, I do watch First Take/Undisputed. But I don't agree that my opinions are set in stone.I can change my mind depending on what see and I think it premature to put the greatness tag on Curry. He has had two very good. regular season runs, on a stacked team built to facilitate his style, I don't think he'd be half as effective on another tea. The addition of Durrant also showed weaknesses on the part of Curry.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion is about all I can say to that. ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Surprised to see the total points line so high in the bookies for game one. They have it at 226 points total, which from looking back in the past two years, I don't think a game has hit this mark between the two of them!

just wondering what the bookies see that I don't. Both teams could be a bit cold with a week off, I think we could see a bit more of a low scoring game than expected.

Can't wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Surprised to see the total points line so high in the bookies for game one. They have it at 226 points total, which from looking back in the past two years, I don't think a game has hit this mark between the two of them!

just wondering what the bookies see that I don't. Both teams could be a bit cold with a week off, I think we could see a bit more of a low scoring game than expected.

Can't wait! :D

That's very high alright. Game 1 is usually close due to nerves, rustiness etc. That said GS won games 1 and 2 last year by a combined record margin - something that's almost always forgotten as they ultimately lost the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Im probably in the minority that think Kyrie is overated. He is a wizard around the rim but Id see him as sub par-average in a lot of other catagories. Flashy highlights and headline clutch play cover up a lot.

What is this the opposite game? In what way is he underated- Do you not think he is regarded as one of the top handful of point guards in the league?

I used his clutch play as one his strengths, not a weakness.

You seem to be ignoring everyone else and making your own debates to be honest although that dosnt disturb me nearly as much as the fact that you watch First Take/Undisputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Normally I quite like Coach Nick's B'Ball Breakdown videos but this is just awful, what was he thinking?

The original will likely feel very dated to most of you if you haven't heard it, but at the time it was ground-breaking:

For context it was 1984, I was much younger then!

A poor choice for sure. Maybe pressure from sponsors to produce a viral hit instead of his usual stuff, dreadful no matter how you look at it though.

Big fan of his for a few years now, if your stuck for something to watch youtube is a bad place to go looking for intelligent sport analysis but he delivers that for sure.

At the opposite end of the spectrum to that clusterfkuk I really liked his Manu tribute a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Somehow got it into my head that game 1 was last night other than Friday. Ridiculous wait in fairness.

Somehow got it into my head that game 1 was last night other than Friday. Ridiculous wait in fairness.

The Finsls traditionally start in June. the problem this year is there have been so many sweeps and short series the gap is much longer than usual.

Less than 24hrs to go, can't freakin wait. Pretty much avoided sports news and shows bar the odd local one, hard to listen to the nonsense being spouted.

Don't think anyone outside Ohio is backing the Cavs, it's such a peculiar one, everything point to warriors but it's LeBron....
    We could talk about matchups all day but Warriors are better team, let's hope it plays out like that.
    Klay better get his **** together, he has been poor offensively these playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Less than 24hrs to go, can't freakin wait. Pretty much avoided sports news and shows bar the odd local one, hard to listen to the nonsense being spouted.

Don't think anyone outside Ohio is backing the Cavs, it's such a peculiar one, everything point to warriors but it's LeBron....
    We could talk about matchups all day but Warriors are better team, let's hope it plays out like that.

Ahem:cool:

The news took a disgusting turnhis last night. The incident of some scumbag spray painting the N word on the gates of Lebron's house in Brentwood. CA

Hopefully Lebron takes his anger out on the Warriors tonight.

D2D wrote: »

Ahem:cool:

Read an article saying that over 90% of analysts, media etc have picked the Warriors. That's a alarming amount, not saying it's right by any means, doesn't even make sense to be honest.

The news took a disgusting turnhis last night. The incident of some scumbag spray painting the N word on the gates of Lebron's house in Brentwood. CA

Hopefully Lebron takes his anger out on the Warriors tonight.

Let's hope he saves that "anger" for the Lakers next year since it was Brentwood

Looking forward to the game later tonight. I think the Cavs could win tonight. 1 win in these first​ 2 games will set them on course for a series win in game 6. 4-2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Warriors 1/3 to win tonight, Jesus that's far too short IMO. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Paully D wrote: »
    Warriors 1/3 to win tonight, Jesus that's far too short IMO. :eek:

I think the Warriors do eventually win this series, but LeBron and co are going to put the dubs to the pin of their collars. I see the series going a minimum of 6 games, but yeah those odds are far too short. Both teams havn't had a game in so long there is an air of unpredictability around game 1. Should be a great series

• Advertisement

Sloppy game so far. Crazy amount of easy misses considering the quality of shooters on display. Some errant defense from both sides too.

I may need to revise my opinion on the whole Green/Love match up. He was was very effective tonight, particularly on the defensive end. The performances of Curry and Durrant tonight were very impressive, There was really nothing Cleveland could do to stop either of them.

Cleveland on the other hand were extremely wasteful on the offensive end. Missing far too many shots, giving up multiple 2nd chance opportunities and a ridiculous amount of turnovers.

If they continue to play like this, GSW will win the series.

Bit of a blow out and what's got to be worrying from a Cleveland point of view is GS missed a ton of easy lay up/shots from in the paint that they wouldn't usually miss AND they were poor from 3 as well, and yet the Cavs still lost by 23. That said, it could have been a lot more. As the guys said at half-time they were lucky to only be down 8 at the break.

Turnovers killed them (Lebron had 9, possibly 10) as well as failing to control their own boards (despite Love having 19 at last count).

I hate making predictions based on one game, but the gaps tonight looked too big to surmount. a sweep is definitely on the cards on the evidence of tonight though as GS won't shoot that poorly from 3 I suspect again. Lebron had a big game, it's other guys who really have to step up more (I mean the other guys outside of Irving and Love).

Very comfortable by the Warriors, was never really worried.
    Cavs had no answer to Durant and I think they will struggle with him the whole series, he had so many easy dunks, Cavs are kind of screwed, double Durrant and he knocks it out to Curry, one on one and he will drive to the basket unless it's Lebron on him.
    Both teams missed some shots, Klay couldn't buy a basket, if he gets going then it will make the Warriors even harder to beat.
    One of the biggest things for me was how the Warriors exposed Love on the defensive end, great player but he can be awful on defensive, looked like the Warriors tried to single him out and isolate him.
    3 more games.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I have a feeling warriors could win this 4-0. They looked so comfortable last night in basically 2nd gear at times.

Warriors will want to send a message after last year's disastrous finals collapse in what should have been an all time record season. If curry and thompson get back to full tilt and Durant continues in this form I can't see Cleveland responding. Of course it's still all ifs, buts and maybes at this stage.

So LeBron's record in Game 1's of the Finals is now 1-7:eek::eek:

Warriors never really looked in doubt last night & deserved the win. Tbh, it could've been much worse. Very disappointing with the amount of turnovers as well, that cost us big time. Big step up is needed for Sunday or a sweep could seriously be on the cards.

Oh and bring back the black sleeve jerseys please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

The Cavs defence was shocking last night. Over emphasis on contesting 3 point shots left them wide open in the paint. 
    Cavaliers supporting cast were just plain awful. JR hit a 3 for the first basket of the game and was non-existant after that. Deron Williams was poor in his cameo, Korver also. 
    Durant was a beast. He is an offensive animal. If he continues to show like that for the series I see this done in 5.

On the turnovers, I really don't see the Warriors being able to sustain that level again but they were so impressive to watch last night.

Not long to go now, one would expect the Cavs to play a lot better. I have a feeling LeBron could put up some big numbers in this game.
    Warriors will need Klay to start knocking down his shots to really cause the Cavs problems.
    Iam sure coach Lou/ LeBron will have a better game plan for Durant

Reading a lot of stuff online re. how much more physical it will be tonight - to be expected really. Chance of a flagrant or an ejection might be relatively high tonight I suspect.

Cavs will give up the 2 much easier again tonight than they will the 3. It was clearly a defensive tactic in transition the other night to shut down the opportunity of a 3 over a soft 2, and that coupled with ugly-ball should make it relatively closer. Even with that I can't see a Cavs win (barring injury or an ejection).

Klay was poor offensively sure, but he had a great defensive game in fairness. And the scary thing for the Cavs is if he lights it up, who do you guard?

• Advertisement

Simple as for us, we have to win this. No stupid turnovers, be more physical & we need the bench to step up big time as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement