Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

My thoughts as well, I thought Love has played pretty well on offense, he isn't a great defender but that's well known.
    Cavs started him as center tonight as well, was a good idea but never really panned out the way they wanted.

Warriors look good for the series so far, can't wait for the media to start raining on their parade cos they got Durant or start questioning LeBrons greatness if he loses, it's so easy to predict the lazy narratives

I think a loss for the Cavs, particularly in the form of a sweep really brings an end to the GOAT conversation. He will have lost 5 NBA finals in his career, That a black mark against his name in the history books that Michael Jordan doesn't have. And looking at the strength of the east and the dominance of GS. Lebron looks set to add a few more finals losses to his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

My thoughts as well, I thought Love has played pretty well on offense, he isn't a great defender but that's well known.
    Cavs started him as center tonight as well, was a good idea but never really panned out the way they wanted.

Warriors look good for the series so far, can't wait for the media to start raining on their parade cos they got Durant or start questioning LeBrons greatness if he loses, it's so easy to predict the lazy narratives

I think a loss for the Cavs, particularly in the form of a sweep really brings an end to the GOAT conversation. He will have lost 5 NBA finals in his career, That a black mark against his name in the history books that Michael Jordan doesn't have. And looking at the strength of the east and the dominance of GS. Lebron looks set to add a few more finals losses to his record.

I really do hate when I hear that argument being made, it's so dumb. A player is being penalized for making it to the finals and not winning it. It just doesn't make any sense, let's appreciate the winning players rather than knocking down the losing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's very hard to see how the Cavs can win it now, Warriors just have too much, it's a shame Durant took the easy way out last summer, this could have been a great series for us neutrals.

LeBron has took the easy way out for the last 7 years, destroying any semblance of competitiveness in the entire Eastern conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If he didn't get to those finals that he lost would that enhance his case?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Aron Old-fashioned Overlord

Do you just repeat hot takes? Why didn't my make more finals then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If he didn't get to those finals that he lost would that enhance his case?

Apparently losing in the first or second round is preferable to losing in the finals, as is my understanding from the 'MJ is the GOAT forever' crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Apparently losing in the first or second round is preferable to losing in the finals, as is my understanding from the 'MJ is the GOAT forever' crowd.

Are you saying LeBron is better than Jordan?

Yes. As I've said before. Though I'm not myopic on the subject, there's nothing between them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yes. As I've said before. Though I'm not myopic on the subject, there's nothing between them.

DO NOT START THIS ON THE PLAYOFF THREAD AGAIN.

Start a new thread if you want to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Aron Old-fashioned Overlord

Even if your don't think that the losing finals argument is stupid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Even if your don't think that the losing finals argument is stupid

See above - posted around the same time!

Final warning. Bans after this. It clogs up the playoff thread completely.

I really can't see the Cavs winning 4 games, obviously they have the ability to turn it around, last year proves that but a healthy warriors team this year is going to be extremely hard to beat. They really don't have any overt weaknesses, they can turn the ball over a lot but still manage to win by throwing up 120 puts or something.
    I expect a really physical Cavs team on Wednesday, that is something that would rattle the Warriors before but not too much anymore.
    Klay s defense on Kyrie has been excellent, he really has made him work hard for his points and not allowed him to get into that rhythm that allows him to terrorize teams.

I really can't see the Cavs winning 4 games, obviously they have the ability to turn it around, last year proves that but a healthy warriors team this year is going to be extremely hard to beat. They really don't have any overt weaknesses, they can turn the ball over a lot but still manage to win by throwing up 120 puts or something.
    I expect a really physical Cavs team on Wednesday, that is something that would rattle the Warriors before but not too much anymore.
    Klay s defense on Kyrie has been excellent, he really has made him work hard for his points and not allowed him to get into that rhythm that allows him to terrorize teams.

You might be lucky to get to see a Finals game at all. Honestly think the sweep is very much on. If they can weather the inevitable physical first half storm that's coming in Cleveland and get through that even 10 down, i can't see them losing (barring injury or some foul trouble). Their offence hasn't been near perfet and they're winning comfortably right now. They had 115 points with 8 minutes left the other night despite putting up just 24 in the 2nd quarter - that's crazy.

You might be lucky to get to see a Finals game at all. Honestly think the sweep is very much on. If they can weather the inevitable physical first half storm that's coming in Cleveland and get through that even 10 down, i can't see them losing (barring injury or some foul trouble). Their offence hasn't been near perfet and they're winning comfortably right now. They had 115 points with 8 minutes left the other night despite putting up just 24 in the 2nd quarter - that's crazy.

I know, feels wrong talking about it but it's on the cards for sure. I would be a little disgruntled not getting to see a finals game but a sweep would make up for that, should be a few more finals left in this team.
    On the waiting list for season tickets for a few years but I doubt they will be popping up any time soon. You would want to be crazy to give them up

https://twitter.com/damyon_/status/871576171099639809

Ho hum - there's honestly tons of examples like this in the NBA these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

In fairness if you disected every scoring play in the NBA what percentage do you think would feature some sort of double dribble or travel? Its just not called. It was good D from Lebron though its not like he got torched on the play or anything.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    In fairness if you disected every scoring play in the NBA what percentage do you think would feature some sort of double dribble or travel? Its just not called. It was good D from Lebron though its not like he got torched on the play or anything.

Agree on both points - it seems the modern game is impossible to officiate accurately due to the speed and ability of players even in comparison to twenty year's ago.

The play is being held up as some sort of statement or revenge for last year - though, again, commentary is typically hyperbolic at this time of the season.

Agree on both points - it seems the modern game is impossible to officiate accurately due to the speed and ability of players even in comparison to twenty year's ago.

The play is being held up as some sort of statement or revenge for last year - though, again, commentary is typically hyperbolic at this time of the season.

Its for the viewers benifit that those calls arnt made at this stage. It would be unbearable to watch if every infraction was called a turnover. I have no problem with it anymore as long as its not too blatant.

Revenge for what exactly? Pretty sure Curry was responsible for a good deal of the blame for losing last years finals.

Im hoping for a competitive game tomorrow but I really havnt been convinced by the Cavs on either end of the floor. LeBron and Love(in game 2 at least) have given their all but the return from the other 3 starters and the entire bench has been dreadful. Coaching issue maybe? What seemed like a decent rotation is now starting to look very below par when held up to the standard of the Warriors, who just might be the best team we have ever seen in the playoffs.

There's no coaching issue:

uVAAaNN.png

The best regular season team ever added another top five player in the league and are simply too good; and the Cavs sans LeBron are barely a .500 team

uVAAaNN.png

The best regular season team ever added another top five player in the league and are simply too good; and the Cavs sans LeBron are barely a .500 team

Who's Larbon?

• Advertisement

After tonight It's either Game On or Game Over. JR Smith, Tristan Thompson, Kyrie Irving have to step up. It's go hard or go home.

uVAAaNN.png

Who's Larbon?

Good one, a real zinger right there skip

Cleveland playing very well right now in fairness even though they're still behind.

Deron Williams however looks like he's out of his league at this level.

Draymond got mugged offensively, called for a (correct) defensive foul, then gets a T on top of it for his reaction. Sitting now for a while.

Draymond got mugged offensively, called for a (correct) defensive foul, then gets a T on top of it for his reaction. Sitting now for a while.

He got fouled, Irving locked his arm, he fouled on the other end and was always getting a technical no matter he says( he can't argue too much with this one)

He got fouled, Irving locked his arm, he fouled on the other end and was always getting a technical no matter he says( he can't argue too much with this one)

Zaza and Draymond on 4 fouls each now. If you're the Cavs you drive every possession at them while they're in the game.

Dont want to jinx it but this looks like it might be a game. Hope the Cavs can keep it up for the neutrals sake.

Wasn't disagreeing, just stating!

• Advertisement

Zaza and Draymond on 4 fouls each now. If you're the Cavs you drive every possession at them while they're in the game.

Yeah McGee is fine in there for spurts but the Cavs would love to have him in the game for as long as possible id imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement