Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thats it now anyway **** em,limped badly in this 4th qtr,gotta hand it to cavs though they really know how to controle a game

13 to 2 in 3pt shooting,this happened in all 3 games so far,no team on earth is gonna win a game with stats like that,the consession of 3s and serious lack of ability to score 3s is a serious flaw and makes it very very hard to win,what id do to even have korver in the team,what a difference hed make to the raptors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Cavs shooting 57% from 3 is obviously unsustainable and is the gap from a scoring perspective but the really telling part though is being out rebounded 49-25 you'll never win games if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think what will be most galling for shamrock and Raptors fans generally is the complete collapse to allow a 20 - 1 Cavs run deep in the second half. It was a good, vibrant contest before a couple of simple adjustments blew them away.

Awesome performance from the Cavs overall though it must be said.

As obvious as it sounds i reall hope we win game 4 at least,id hate a whitewash,but i just cant see how its possible for this raptors team to beat lebron and the boys the way they are playing,although without lebron they are pretty ordinary,love him or hate him the guy is a fcukin powerhouse and carrys that team big time,plus when you add in derozan being annonymous for first 2 and lowry missing last night it doesnt help matters,i think when we beat cavs at end of reg season lebron was missing,how do you stop the ****er? Ibaka or tucker certainly cant anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Maybe Cleveland will rest this next game and let Toronto win one...making their homer fans think there is a ghost of a chance. We've been through this circle jerk with the super teams in the past. The league is a joke.

Cleveland is 37-11 (14-6, 16-5, 7-0) the last 3 years in the playoffs. That's nuts against elite teams. 7 of those losses are against the Warriors.

It also says something about the regular season - the regular season ain't ****.

Also, LeBron's last 10 Playoff games (all wins obv):

41-16-7
    41-8-11
    27-11-11
    36-6-13
    25-10-7
    41-13-12
    33-10-4
    35-10-4
    39-6-4
    35-8-7

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Maybe Cleveland will rest this next game and let Toronto win one...making their homer fans think there is a ghost of a chance. We've been through this circle jerk with the super teams in the past. The league is a joke.

Lowry "unlikely" to play tonight.....

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Cleveland is 37-11 (14-6, 16-5, 7-0) the last 3 years in the playoffs. That's nuts against elite teams. 7 of those losses are against the Warriors.

It also says something about the regular season - the regular season ain't ****.

Also, LeBron's last 10 Playoff games (all wins obv):

41-16-7
    41-8-11
    27-11-11
    36-6-13
    25-10-7
    41-13-12
    33-10-4
    35-10-4
    39-6-4
    35-8-7

Or you could say they 6-7 against teams from the West in that timeframe. They wouldn't have that record if they were in the West. It says more about the East than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Or you could say they 6-7 against teams from the West in that timeframe. They wouldn't have that record if they were in the West. It says more about the East than anything else.

Yeah but they only play the top ranked team from the west, whereas they're playing lower ranked teams from the east in earlier stage of the playoffs so it's not directly comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

LeBron is obviously insane and one of the best ever, but there's always going to be an astrix beside him for me. There's a couple of reasons for this:

- Hopping between teams as it suited and creating super teams
    - The East being historically weak during his period of dominance

I've said it before on here, but LeBron reaching the Finals with the Cavs in 2006/2007 is a far more impressive achievement than anything he has done since IMO.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Yeah but they only play the top ranked team from the west, whereas they're playing lower ranked teams from the east in earlier stage of the playoffs so it's not directly comparable.

Way to miss the point......

I see the LeBron love-in is in full effect mode again....

Way to miss the point......

Misread your post

The conference playoffs are a sham. It's been clear since before the season started that it would be GS/Cleveland in finals, barring injury. You can essentially ignore the playoffs until the finals begin. At least last year the West was interesting with OKC able to challenge GS, but Durant's move eliminated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The conference playoffs are a sham. It's been clear since before the season started that it would be GS/Cleveland in finals, barring injury. You can essentially ignore the playoffs until the finals begin. At least last year the West was interesting with OKC able to challenge GS, but Durant's move eliminated that.

It'll never happen as it would take a big restructuring, but it needs to be changed so that it's the top 16 teams regardless of conference that make the playoffs.

Scrap the conferences, dramatically lower the amount of games that teams play in the regular season, develop a new way of scheduling and have the top 16 teams into the playoffs.

It would make things so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Paully D wrote: »
    It'll never happen as it would take a big restructuring, but it needs to be changed so that it's the top 16 teams regardless of conference that make the playoffs.

Scrap the conferences, dramatically lower the amount of games that teams play in the regular season, develop a new way of scheduling and have the top 16 teams into the playoffs.

But you'd still have 16 teams in the payoffs with only a few being able to win meaning there would still be a load of uncompetitive games.

Surely the problem is that having 16 teams in the playoffs of a 30 team competition is completely and utterly stupid, surely playoffs for winning a championship should be a lot more difficult to qualify for.

Make the playoffs more difficult to qualify for say only 10 teams means the regular season would be more competitive and thus the whole competition would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Spurs-Warriors might still cause an upset (assuming Spurs can power past the Rockets).

I agree with your points but the one highlighted in bold will not happen simply because of the revenue involved - not in the lifetime of this tv deal anyway now I would say the one after it either.

Top 16 teams into the PlayOffs is a no-brainer though.

What would really level out the league would be to have each team in the league play each other the same number of times. Right now if you're in the East you play the teams in the West just twice in a year - 28 times in total, and vice versa. So if you're say Toronto, you play just 28 games against the stronger teams in the West, and 54 against the much weaker teams of the East, and you can run up a lot of wins against those weak teams. A team like Portland for example only has 28 shots at wins against those weak times, and has to play better teams 54 times. So Toronto can run up a win total on paper that looks impressive, and equally a team like Portland's can look weaker, when in fact they could be a better team. The schedule is making teams look better (and weaker) than they actually are.

A 41-41 record in the East right now is not IMO simply comparable at the moment to a 41-41 record in the West.

Hence why each team playing each other the same amount of times irons out the inter-conference strengths and differences.

This of course is assuming crazy situations like 4 road games in 5 nights etc. also gets tackled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The owners though won't vote for any changes though especially the best 16 as certain owners know they would be voting themselves out of the post season. and who would be crazy or stupid enough to do that ? Well maybe Dolan.

LeBron is obviously insane and one of the best ever, but there's always going to be an astrix beside him for me. There's a couple of reasons for this:

- Hopping between teams as it suited and creating super teams
    - The East being historically weak during his period of dominance

I've said it before on here, but LeBron reaching the Finals with the Cavs in 2006/2007 is a far more impressive achievement than anything he has done since IMO.

An asterisk beside his name??
    Hopping between teams?? He changed teams once and then returned to Cleveland. The Cavs displayed an inability to surround him with any sort of talent first time around and he left to join an organisation that could surround him with the talent needed.
    I agree the decision was a silly move and he's apologised for that.

He does appear calculated no doubts there but I don't think he left for Miami because it's in the East and he didn't return to Cleveland because it's in the East, it's not his fault there isn't more depth. An asterisk beside his name for those reasons are ridiculous.

The Cavs reaching the 2006/07 finals is more impressive than beating GSW last year after being 3-1 down GTFO.

6 - 7 against the apparently greatest team of all time is perfectly acceptable imo. Not playing weak playoff opposition from the West makes comparison impossible

I thought it might calm down a little after I posted that. It's gotten worse.

I thought it might calm down a little after I posted that. It's gotten worse.
    It makes a change from the laughable criticism I guess.

Wall and the Wizards on fire in the third quarter, 26 - 0 run at the moment.

Because the King is risen. The best player in the league is crushing on the biggest stage night after night and it's electric. Don't let it pass you by.

Because the King is risen. The best player in the league is crushing on the biggest stage night after night and it's electric. Don't let it pass you by.

Pass me the sick bucket please.

Yup, he's really putting it up against the might of the Raptors and the Pacers. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yup. But ignore the fact that he's being criticised for it for being condescending and disrespectful and the Raptors player himself called it a "son" move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement