Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Pass me the sick bucket please.

You're not allowed criticise LeBron here don't you know......they should rename the page "The LeBron FanBoy Thread".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

You're not allowed criticise LeBron here don't you know......they should rename the page "The LeBron FanBoy Thread".

I don't mind the discussion over Lebron. The guy is playing incredibly well. There's no denying that.

What I don't like is the sycophantic behaviour about him. We're here to discuss basketball, not be fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I honestly don't see how it's possible to discuss the post season thus far without being in awe at how he's performing. If you love basketball, you will surely love the way he's playing right now. It's utterly electric. The return of his jumper makes him the complete package again.

As for the Raptors, well they got completely outclassed but they won 51 games in the regular season and had made offseason personnel moves with the intent of playing the Cavs in the post season. We had posts on here at the outset of the playoffs questioning the ability of the Cavs to get through successive series against the Raptors and Celtics / Wizards. The Warriors are slicing a similarly dominant path through the West, and on both sides they'll get to rest up while their Conference Finals opponents go through 6 or 7 games before they can face them.

There is no real competition here.

WWWW WWWW WWLWW WWLWW
    WWWW WWWW WWLWW LLWLL

Is a very possible outcome of these playoffs - wallowing in how good LeBron is and the Warriors are is all there's really to see. And unfortunately, I don't exactly see where that's going to change for the next couple of seasons at least.

Yup. But ignore the fact that he's being criticised for it for being condescending and disrespectful and the Raptors player himself called it a "son" move.

It's showmanship. Spinning the ball before nailing a three pointer and preventing Toronto from costing themselves technicals is part of the dominance. All teams have versions of this when they're on top in the playoffs, it's part of the entertainment.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's showmanship. Spinning the ball before nailing a three pointer and preventing Toronto from costing themselves technicals is part of the dominance. All teams have versions of this when they're on top in the playoffs, it's part of the entertainment.

It's being a d*ck, and he's being called out for it rightly amongst a lot of ex-players. But hey, ignore that too.

And he has history here. His stare down of Jordan last year on the breakaway dunk v Charlotte was in the same vein.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't see how it's possible to discuss the post season thus far without being in awe at how he's performing. If you love basketball, you will surely love the way he's playing right now. It's utterly electric. The return of his jumper makes him the complete package again.

As for the Raptors, well they got completely outclassed but they won 51 games in the regular season and had made offseason personnel moves with the intent of playing the Cavs in the post season. We had posts on here at the outset of the playoffs questioning the ability of the Cavs to get through successive series against the Raptors and Celtics / Wizards. The Warriors are slicing a similarly dominant path through the West, and on both sides they'll get to rest up while their Conference Finals opponents go through 6 or 7 games before they can face them.

There is no real competition here.

WWWW WWWW WWLWW WWLWW
    WWWW WWWW WWLWW LLWLL

Is a very possible outcome of these playoffs - wallowing in how good LeBron is and the Warriors are is all there's really to see. And unfortunately, I don't exactly see where that's going to change for the next couple of seasons at least.

It's perfectly easy to do so without being in awe of anyone.

I can love basketball without having to insert my tongue into a player's anus.

Does that not bother you even a little.

The worst part of it all is that this is all by design but I don't blame the NBA.

I've been following the NBA for 7 years now and this is without doubt the most bored I've been following the regular season. The playoffs have been worse. Because the finals have been sewn up already and we're pretending to have competition. It's like the Leinster football championship.

I don't see anyone arguing against the fact that Lebron is a major advantage. But the fact remains that he at least used to have a couple of challenges in the East (pushed to 7 by both the Celts and Pacers), whereas nowadays it looks like teams can't even win a game off of his team. He's lost 4 total playoff games in the East since returning to Cleveland. Most of that is because of his greatness, but a lot of it is due to the fact that the Conference is just flat out putrid garbage that is less competitive than it used to be.

I don't blame the NBA. The NBA has done a lot to try to encourage parity. It's not the NBA's fault when a Kevin Durant wants to go to the team who beat him in a 7 game WCF series. The NBA can't force people to have a competitive fire. It's not their fault that Durant waved the white flag. Likewise, it's really not the NBA's fault that Lebron left the Cavs in 2010, which allowed them to pile up a bunch of high picks/assets since they were so bad without him, which in turn led to the creation of this dominant team. No player in history has successfully engineered teams quite like LeBron. Furthermore, it's not the NBA's fault that so many teams have done a poor job of putting together quality rosters.

It is what it is. I don't see anyone denying that the NBA has always been top heavy. Of course it has. But until recently, even the top teams used to face some tough competition to get to the NBA Finals. When the 2001 Lakers swept their way to the Finals, it was a noteworthy accomplishment because something like that just didn't happen much. In the other two Laker title years, they were pushed to 7 by Portland and Sacramento. Nowadays, no one will bat an eye if the Cavs or Warriors sweep to the Finals because the competition is just pure crap for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im a raptors fan myself and see no problem in praising lebron,tbf the guy was fantastic in the 4 games against us,ok he gets up to a few antics but thats just getting into the opponants heads,he is what he is and should be enjoyed not slated, another thing i dont think cavs outclassed raps as such they just hit a hell of alot more 3s

Does that not bother you even a little.

The worst part of it all is that this is all by design but I don't blame the NBA.

I've been following the NBA for 7 years now and this is without doubt the most bored I've been following the regular season. The playoffs have been worse. Because the finals have been sewn up already and we're pretending to have competition. It's like the Leinster football championship.
    I don't see anyone arguing against the fact that Lebron is a major advantage. But the fact remains that he at least used to have a couple of challenges in the East (pushed to 7 by both the Celts and Pacers), whereas nowadays it looks like teams can't even win a game off of his team. He's lost 4 total playoff games in the East since returning to Cleveland. Most of that is because of his greatness, but a lot of it is due to the fact that the Conference is just flat out putrid garbage that is less competitive than it used to be.

I don't blame the NBA. The NBA has done a lot to try to encourage parity. It's not the NBA's fault when a Kevin Durant wants to go to the team who beat him in a 7 game WCF series. The NBA can't force people to have a competitive fire. It's not their fault that Durant waved the white flag. Likewise, it's really not the NBA's fault that Lebron left the Cavs in 2010, which allowed them to pile up a bunch of high picks/assets since they were so bad without him, which in turn led to the creation of this dominant team. No player in history has successfully engineered teams quite like LeBron. Furthermore, it's not the NBA's fault that so many teams have done a poor job of putting together quality rosters.

It is what it is. I don't see anyone denying that the NBA has always been top heavy. Of course it has. But until recently, even the top teams used to face some tough competition to get to the NBA Finals. When the 2001 Lakers swept their way to the Finals, it was a noteworthy accomplishment because something like that just didn't happen much. In the other two Laker title years, they were pushed to 7 by Portland and Sacramento. Nowadays, no one will bat an eye if the Cavs or Warriors sweep to the Finals because the competition is just pure crap for the most part.

I completely agree with all of this by the way, and it's what I'm saying above with regards to my proposed W / L records for the Warriors and Cavs by the end. To top off the predictability of the playoffs, it's becoming ever clearer that the regular season really doesn't matter.

It bothers me a great deal, so I'm trying to enjoy it for what it is - hence the concentration on great individual efforts. Within the context of the new CBA and considering the contract / age profile of the two main teams, it's hard to see things changing in the near future.

• Advertisement

It's being a d*ck, and he's being called out for it rightly amongst a lot of ex-players. But hey, ignore that too.

And he has history here. His stare down of Jordan last year on the breakaway dunk v Charlotte was in the same vein.

I ignore it because I have no problem with this type of showmanship, as previously stated. He hasn't kicked anyone, or engaged in flagrant fouls, thrown his mouthguard into the crowd or intimidated officials. It's good old fashioned grandstanding, but it's not injuring anyone or bringing the game into disrepute.

I ignore it because I have no problem with this type of showmanship, as previously stated. He hasn't kicked anyone, or engaged in flagrant fouls, thrown his mouthguard into the crowd or intimidated officials. It's good old fashioned grandstanding, but it's not injuring anyone or bringing the game into disrepute.

Lol. He does that every game, by being LeBron. Just because it's not screaming and shouting doesn't mean he's not intimidating them. It's much more subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Lol. He does that every game, by being LeBron. Just because it's not screaming and shouting doesn't mean he's not intimidating them. It's much more subtle.

He does it by being LeBron?? What does that even mean, how does he intimidate officials??

All the pathetic talk about it being a LeBron fanboy thread is ridiculous. The Cavs are 8-0 in the playoffs because of him, irrespective of who they're playing, he literally can't do any more than he's done thus far.

His path is easier than GSW etc no doubts there but again that's not his fault, he's singlehandedly winning these games.
    Replacing any player, ie Durant, Curry, Kawhi etc would arguably not have yielded an 8-0 record vs those 2 opponents.

Criticise him later when they lose etc but criticising him now for spinning the ball or the laughable media frenzy around him "staring down Jordan" is simply clutching at straws.

I don't think they'll beat GSW so there should be plenty of time to criticise him.

If we were praising any other player in the same way, you wouldn't be so argumentative about it BS. I must say though, your systematic criticism of LBJ is incredibly consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

LeBron the Basketball Player = One of, if not the Greatest Ever

LeBron the Person = Complete twat

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19337166/2017-nba-draft-qa-kentucky-deaaron-fox

Probably the highest rising lottery pick of the past few months, definitely outplayed Ball in their 2nd match up although a few flashes of Ball's passing was phenomenonal, listed as 6-4 but looked smaller and light too but he's super quick, he'd probably be my 4th pg off the board after Dennis Smith but I thought his answers in the Q&A were pretty decent, seems like a hardworking guy. Super exciting draft.

brady23 wrote: »
    He does it by being LeBron?? What does that even mean, how does he intimidate officials??

All the pathetic talk about it being a LeBron fanboy thread is ridiculous. The Cavs are 8-0 in the playoffs because of him, irrespective of who they're playing, he literally can't do any more than he's done thus far.

His path is easier than GSW etc no doubts there but again that's not his fault, he's singlehandedly winning these games.
    Replacing any player, ie Durant, Curry, Kawhi etc would arguably not have yielded an 8-0 record vs those 2 opponents.

Criticise him later when they lose etc but criticising him now for spinning the ball or the laughable media frenzy around him "staring down Jordan" is simply clutching at straws.

I don't think they'll beat GSW so there should be plenty of time to criticise him.

If we were praising any other player in the same way, you wouldn't be so argumentative about it BS. I must say though, your systematic criticism of LBJ is incredibly consistent.

Jesus here's so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start.

I will say this much: single handedly winning games? Really? So he's going 1 v 5? Are there no other All Stars on Cleveland? Last time I looked there were a few, but of course not enough for LeBron who publicly complained about his lack of support earlier this year and was widely criticised for it. How many points did Kyrie have last night btw?

Replace him with many of those you mention and they beatvthose two teams - who are piss poor.

I sincerely hope they don't win it all this year as as bad as this thread is now, it would be unbearable to have to listen to a few of you discuss which of had the biggest boner watching LeBron in action.

And again (and a point I've made repeatedly), watch, read and listen to the US media and he has as an awful lot of detractors. But hey, they're all wrong and you're right.

Don't forget to kiss your poster of The King (lol) goodnight.

Jesus here's so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start.

I will say this much: single handedly winning games? Really? So he's going 1 v 5? Are there no other All Stars on Cleveland? Last time I looked there were a few, but of course not enough for LeBron who publicly complained about his lack of support earlier this year and was widely criticised for it. How many points did Kyrie have last night btw?

Replace him with many of those you mention andvthey beatvthose two teams - who are piss poor.

I sincerely hope they don't win it all this year as as bad as this thread is now, it would be unbearable to have to listen to a few of you discuss which of had the biggest boner watching LeBron in action.

And again (and a point I've made repeatedly), watch, read and listen to the US media and he has as an awful lot of detractors. But hey, they're all wrong and you're right.

Don't forget to kiss your ousted of The King (lol) goodnight.

Why take the time to write a post and then fail to remotely answer the question posed?

There is so much wrong with the post, yet you fail to correct any of it.

Perhaps single handedly is a bit much but he's clearly the main reason. The reason they're winning is obviously primarily because of him, not even you can refute that.

Post the links to the recent articles where these detractors discuss what parts of his game are weak and are hurting his team because that's what the discussion is about.

If you want to discuss his character, spinning the ball, the decision blah blah blah then start a thread about that because his playoff performances this year have been excellent.

BTW the bolded parts are not only not even remotely funny but they simply epitomise your consistent displays of immaturity.

This is competitive sport, with people playing for keeps:

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/861054799697108992

I assume you condemn your own players for this type of behaviour so? Cause i wouldn't. You dominate the opposition, you get to talk smack.

I think unfortunately it's a zero sum game for a lot of the media and casual fans around LeBron. The only way they can't take shots is if he wins it all, and even then they row back to stuff like the Decision. Even in 2015 the Skip Bayless types were criticising him for losing the Finals series against the Warriors. Personally think it's an incorrect view of things - the Warriors will open up the Finals as clear favourites and rightly so based on match ups. So long as LeBron performs to a decent level and plays hard losing the Finals shouldn't be an opportunity to criticise him. Just as losing the Finals last year doesn't take away really from the regular season the Warriors and Curry had - the heights they reached then were still spectacular.

Of course, as much as people may find this superstar focus irritating, it's always been a key aspect of the NBA. In a five man game, the best player is way more impactful than other sports. So we get 'narratives', however incorrect they may be.

NBA stars travel, we know that. But the stuff he's getting away with after he picks up his dribble is pretty outlandish. Ideally the league would try and sort this stuff out next year for everyone.

• Advertisement

Nene out for the playoffs, that's the series imo. Shame, as I think Houston match up better with the Warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hazys wrote: »

http://lebronjamesfamilyfoundation.org/
    Education is perhaps Lebron's greatest passion. His foundation spends at least $1 million USD per year on initiatives including programs that help elementary schoolers get interested in school; provide adults with college resources; and help students learn how to code.

For example, Wheels for Education involves inviting a group of 3rd graders to a technology boot camp each year. The students receive "support, encouragement and incentives" and the assistance follows the kids through graduation. Incentives include things like HP computers and bus fare.

Ultimately, the program is meant to target dismal dropout rates.

Meanwhile, the I Promise campaign, earmarks $41 million for college for 1,100 Akron students. (source)

Might want to look in the mirror before you call someone a twat.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hazys wrote: »

Education is perhaps Lebron's greatest passion. His foundation spends at least $1 million USD per year on initiatives including programs that help elementary schoolers get interested in school; provide adults with college resources; and help students learn how to code.

For example, Wheels for Education involves inviting a group of 3rd graders to a technology boot camp each year. The students receive "support, encouragement and incentives" and the assistance follows the kids through graduation. Incentives include things like HP computers and bus fare.

Ultimately, the program is meant to target dismal dropout rates.

Meanwhile, the I Promise campaign, earmarks $41 million for college for 1,100 Akron students. (source)

Similarly, irrespective of the fact "The Decision" was a bit over the top, it still raised over 6m for charity but yeah he's a d*** :ermm:

Why take the time to write a post and then fail to remotely answer the question posed?

There is so much wrong with the post, yet you fail to correct any of it.

Perhaps single handedly is a bit much but he's clearly the main reason. The reason they're winning is obviously primarily because of him, not even you can refute that.

Post the links to the recent articles where these detractors discuss what parts of his game are weak and are hurting his team because that's what the discussion is about.

If you want to discuss his character, spinning the ball, the decision blah blah blah then start a thread about that because his playoff performances this year have been excellent.

BTW the bolded parts are not only not even remotely funny but they simply epitomise your consistent displays of immaturity.

Jesus I'm not the one engaging in a homoerotic love-in with other people on here over someone none of us will ever likely meet, and most of you will never probably even see play in person.

I had a typo in my message last night - apologies. Autocorrect changed "poster" to "ousted".

I didn't fail to address the points, I chose not to. It was a statement, not a set-up to which I was going to provide answers. Why? Because it was stupid o'clock where I am right now (the states) and I was typing it on my phone. If I had more time I'd post more.

You said single-handedly. Now you're rowing back from it. You throw out flippant statements like that and don't expect to be challenged on it.

Again, I have repeatedly said he's the best player on the planet and again you choose to ignore that. But being the best does not make you perfect like a lot of you fanboys seem to think he is. If LeBron was as good as you guys think he is he'd be the greatest ever. But now I'll probably have to listen to a list of reasons why he is the best ever. :rolleyes: Is he the primary reason his team are winning? Yes, of course he is, but stop acting like he has no help. And you don't hear other "superstars" bitching and moaning mid-season about not having enough help when their team has the highest payroll in NBA history and their owner is paying the luxury tax for the last few seasons to accommodate this. And you have a number of past and present All Stars on your team. And you threaten to walk again if you don't get your way.

His ball-spinning BS happened in the PlayOffs, right? Therefore it's a valid discussion point on this thread. Is it out of character for him to do dick moves? No. Again, valid discussion point. I didn't say he's hurting his team, I never said that. Does his game have weaknesses? Come on - is that a serious question? Yes, it does. OR IS HE 100% PERFECT AT EVERYTHING HE DOES BASKETBALL WISE IN YOUR EYES? because you make it sound as if he is.

As for posting link - google is your friend.

This is competitive sport, with people playing for keeps:

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/861054799697108992

I assume you condemn your own players for this type of behaviour so? Cause i wouldn't. You dominate the opposition, you get to talk smack.

My players? I'm a Boston fan.

[/B]

Do you know what Lebron's net worth is? It would be like you giving a cent to charity. He has a deal with Nike expected to earn him a billion dollars over the lifetime of the deal alone.

You do know this is all written off against tax too, right?

And do you think none of these things are designed and managed to make him look good and improve his PR image?

Fair play to him for doing it anyway (before I'm criticized for criticizing) as he doesn't have to give as much as a cent away, but don't think these people are doing these things entirely for charitable purposes.

My players? I'm a Boston fan.

Oh, I thought you were a Warriors fan - you mentioned attending some of their games. Either way, you can see that such behaviour is not the preserve of the King.

Oh, I thought you were a Warriors fan - you mentioned attending some of their games. Either way, you can see that such behaviour is not the preserve of the King.

I travel a lot with work throughout the US. I will go and watch literally anyone play. As well as Boston this year I've seen a lot of woeful teams. I was at a Knicks v Nets game for example! I even go to D League games if there's nothing else on.

I'm not condoning that behaviour though regardless of who does it.

I travel a lot with work throughout the US. I will go and watch literally anyone play. As well as Boston this year I've seen a lot of woeful teams. I was at a Knicks v Nets game for example! I even go to D League games if there's nothing else on.

I'm not condoning that behaviour though regardless of who does it.

Yeah, I'd go and see any NCAA Div 1 / NBA game I could irrespective of who's playing. It's still the game played at a level inaccessible to us in Ireland or the UK.

And that's fine - you don't need to condone it, but also there's no point singling LeBron out for it. The NBA has always had a high level of smack talking and grand standing from star players, it's part of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

[/B]

He raised money for charity, I love him now. Sorry now i can never question how much of a twat he is.

Seriously though, he's personality stinks of somebody who has never told him no in his entire life. Some LeBron incidents off the top of my head over the years (there are so much more for the egomaniac):
    • Hes such a good sport and humanitarian he refuses to do the Slam Dunk contest unless he's paid a million dollars
    • Being a mean girl to Kevin Love
    • He made every website remove the video of him getting dunked on in a summer camp
    • Thrash talks Draymond Green, Green trashtalks back, LeBron gets upset and tells the media that "He's a father of 3" and he was offended by trashtalk
    • Threatens to sue the small local beer company after it used his image of him picking up their beer during a game
    • "I don't need to flop, I don't even know how to do it"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement