Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining TUI ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yet another example of faceless folk making rules about a system they clearly have no idea works day to day.

Teachers moving from ETBs to voluntary secondary? Sure aren't they all on full hours?

Absolutely clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Take everything you can op, and apologize to no-one. Tell nobody on the staff what you are doing and play along to their tune while doing your own thing, people were given cid status in vol sec schools a couple of years ago after 2 years service and then it went back out to four!!! I know because i got caught myself before leaving teaching altogether, save for that incident I would probably have my mortgage approval and have bought my house.There has been very little fairness in the system the last few years so Fu@k what any one says and get whats best for you if you can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

The TUI have an introductory sub of 1 EURO for teachers in their first year. They pay their branch, so the department payroll would not know if these teachers were in the union or not.

This was my exact situation, payroll requested proof of membership (Des payroll) before they would apply any LRA increase. I had to forward letter from tui and picture of my Union card as they couldn't see any union dues being paid from salary.
    I'm in my first year Rpt in a voluntary school. Joined tui in previous position, ETB. Recently the principal pulled me aside double checking my Union membership and inquiring as to whether or not I had signed up to LRA. Whether or not this means they will use this information in my favour or against me wrt to cid I'm still not sure but it's open discrimination based on Union membership.
    Incidentally, post 2012, point 2,LRA increases in salary resulted in net loss of earnings due to more USC being applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

Again thanks for all the comments. I don't feel right about joining a union (assuming I can join) and then leaving it, however given the choice I would be more likely to join ASTI than TUI. Apart from the dispute issues where I would lean more, but not completely, on the ASTI side that the TUI, it makes no sense for a school with a small teaching staff to have two unions representing the teachers. I am also a bit frustrated over being forced to join a particular union, on the other hand their may be some movement before September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Again thanks for all the comments. I don't feel right about joining a union (assuming I can join) and then leaving it, however given the choice I would be more likely to join ASTI than TUI. Apart from the dispute issues where I would lean more, but not completely, on the ASTI side that the TUI, it makes no sense for a school with a small teaching staff to have two unions representing the teachers. I am also a bit frustrated over being forced to join a particular union, on the other hand their may be some movement before September.

I have a suspicion that if you are accepted into the TUI that you won't be represented if a dispute happens in your school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I have a suspicion that if you are accepted into the TUI that you won't be represented if a dispute happens in your school.

In what way would a union not represent one of their members? Do you mean like the lpts or cid status, or the old "if something happens". I think what the op is looking for is a way to get his CID quicker more so than anything else.Lets face it, the teacher unions don't represent much of anyone these days except the old diehards that are more than willing to send the next generation of teachers up the swanny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

keoclassic wrote: »
    In what way would a union not represent one of their members? Do you mean like the lpts or cid status, or the old "if something happens". I think what the op is looking for is a way to get his CID quicker more so than anything else.Lets face it, the teacher unions don't represent much of anyone these days except the old diehards that are more than willing to send the next generation of teachers up the swanny.

Does the TUI represent teachers in fee charging schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

keoclassic wrote: »
    In what way would a union not represent one of their members?

Lets face it, the teacher unions don't represent much of anyone these days except the old diehards that are more than willing to send the next generation of teachers up the swanny.

In the way that the sector the OP works in is represented by ASTI who are the union with negotiating rights, not TUI.

In regard to your last comment. Unions are there to represent their members. If all young teachers joined the union that represented their sector, and actually went to the meetings, brought up issues and voted on them they would soon be the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Principal says no, you are not having a cid. Then the tui comes in to help you. But they have no negotiating rights so management don't have to meet the tui, action cant be taken by tui etc. If these rules weren't in place, any union could close down a place. It even takes effect with sub branches of unions e.g. Bus drivers from siptu on strike but other branches from siptu cant go out. The IR rules are there for all our protection and a fairly comprehensive.

Advertisement