Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protest/ Demonstration: Russian Embassy April 20th

• 13-04-2017 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

I'm sure by now everyone has heard the horror stories coming from Chechnya. For those who haven't...

The Independent (UK)

BBC

The Guardian

There is a protest at the Russian Embassy next Thursday (20th April) at 4pm. The details are on the event page on Facebook.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I hope these protests do some good or at least prompt the government of Russia to take some kind of action, though the rational part of me says this just will not happen. There are some real horror stories emerging from this and it is still early days.

The guardian has an interview with a detainee who was released and fled Chechnya, what he went through is not easy to read.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/13/they-called-us-animals-chechens-prison-beatings-electric-shocks-anti-gay-purge

Elena Milashina, the journalist who broke the story, has been forced into hiding after all staff at Novaya Gazeta have been threatened. She conducted a video interview with BBC journalist Victoria Derbyshire,

https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaDerbyshire/videos/10154512683561547/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Edit: User has been site banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Russia should put a stop to it, although that could cause more violence if they interfere in Chechnya. I hope a solution is found. Also do gay folks here ever protest the Iranian embassy? Or the embassy of America's pet (Saudi)? For doing the same/worse things. I often suspect that the mainstream western media is very pro-yank and will very quickly report on the bad stuff Russia does(or independent Chechnya in this case) but doesn't give airtime to the US and Saudi funding terrorism and promoting instability in the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

cgcsb wrote: »
    Russia should put a stop to it

You mean the Nation that bans transgender people from driving? Lol

They should, I agree. But i don't think they are all that bothered. If anything the story was probably leaked just to distract from another story in Syria.

As for the protest, I salute anyone going. But I don't think Putin and co. are listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cgcsb wrote: »
    Russia should put a stop to it, although that could cause more violence if they interfere in Chechnya. I hope a solution is found. Also do gay folks here ever protest the Iranian embassy? Or the embassy of America's pet (Saudi)? For doing the same/worse things. I often suspect that the mainstream western media is very pro-yank and will very quickly report on the bad stuff Russia does(or independent Chechnya in this case) but doesn't give airtime to the US and Saudi funding terrorism and promoting instability in the region.
    There have been protests at the Iranian Embassy in Dublin yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Re Checnya, some people may be interested in signing this petition

http://petitions.pinknews.co.uk/russian-authorities-stop-the-persecution-of-gay-men-in-chechnya

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Novaya Gazeta has an interview with one of the few men willing to publicly speak about being kidnapped and tortured in Chechnya for 12 straight days back in March. There is a very detailed article and a video where 30 year old photographer Maxim Lapunov gives a candid account of his detention and brutal interrogations, and what happened to his friends that he was forced to name. Now that he is safe he is trying to speak out against against the authorities in Chechnya but is not having much luck so far.

The details of his story and what he endured is really terrifying and he admits he was spared the worst brutalities because he is an ethnic Russian, not a Chechan. He believes he was released only because when he was snatched it was quite public with a lot of witnesses and his family back in Russia opened a missing persons case almost immediately.

Here is the link to the article and video. Fair warning - both are in Russian and have not been transcribed to English yet but Google should give an adequate translation for anyone interested.

He is safe now and hopefully he is able to make progress with his complaint. Sadly this has not gone away, even if it is no longer featuring in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

There was a big protest in New York the other day, marches from the stonewall to trump tower. It’s still in people’s consciousness, but the way the world is at the moment I think everyone is so overwhelmed by the awfulness of everything. I know I am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 OhChicken

as a community we must take a stand and call for a boycott of russian products. and ironcially smirnoff claims to be a friend of the lgbtiq community

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There was a big protest in New York the other day, marches from the stonewall to trump tower. It’s still in people’s consciousness, but the way the world is at the moment I think everyone is so overwhelmed by the awfulness of everything. I know I am.

Was this a protest against Russia or one against Trump? I would have thought the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Was this a protest against Russia or one against Trump? I would have thought the latter.

It was specifically regarding the situation in Chechnya.

JupiterKid wrote: »

I assume it was the Voices4Chechnya march on Oct 11th.

EDIT B&C beat me to it!

Would the mods consider renaming the thread? Events in Chechnya perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I support the protests but why does Russia in particular get so much criticism for this? When there are dozens of coutnries in the world which treat lgbt people just as badly . Jamaica, Uganda, Saudi arabia, Iran etc. And those countries directly support violence against lgbt people from the top down, at least in this case it is an autonomous region doing all this and the government while not criticising it maybe never insitgated it also though.
    And Im in no way defeding anything about russia btw, but I dont understand why users for instance are saying to boycott russian products and not also saudi arabian or many other countries products too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

OhChicken wrote: »
    as a community we must take a stand and call for a boycott of russian products. and ironcially smirnoff claims to be a friend of the lgbtiq community

Any product claiming to be pro lgbt is simply a marketing ploy. Maybe they do in fact like gay people but if irish people's views of gay people were today similar to how they were 30 years ago you would not be seeing those rainbow smirnoff bilboards in dublin.
    They respond to societal trends to boost product image, theyre not giving their views on gay people for the sake of it

Advertisement