Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earplugs

Options
  • 13-04-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I know this has been discussed before but just looking for up to date info.

I have mild tinnitus and def don't want it to get worse. Could someone recommend some earplugs for gigs? I can see cheapies like this:-

https://uk.earpeace.com/products/ear-plugs

All the way up to:-

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/isolate-pro-titanium

And much higher.

I can't get my head around wearing plugs and the quality of the music not suffering, could someone who uses them advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I use these ones for sleeping if that's any use!
    Very soft and comfortable - some chemists have them but last time i got them i ended up getting them on ebay....

http://www.quies.com/product/foam-earplugs/

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

I use these ones for sleeping if that's any use!
    Very soft and comfortable - some chemists have them but last time i got them i ended up getting them on ebay....

http://www.quies.com/product/foam-earplugs/

I have similar but I'm thinking of the new ones around specially for gigs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Coincidentally I brought my daughter to a gig yesterday and the security guards jokingly gave me a pair. They were great. It was my first time to try it and I didn't feel that it made a big quality difference.its not like the quality was pristine in the first place anyway. It made a huge volume difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I have a set of Alpine MusicSafe Pro that I got from amazon, they kinda work, had a bit of ringing meself and use these to make sure it does not get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chelon wrote: »
    I can't get my head around wearing plugs and the quality of the music not suffering, could someone who uses them advise?
    I have not used them but plan to, I have been to a few gigs where it was needlessly loud and had to move to another spot, or there was still no escaping in small venues. Not only can they improve listening exerpience but I heard they can filter out chattering people around you.
    I have similar but I'm thinking of the new ones around specially for gigs etc.
    The bog standard foam ones are meant to be bad alright, surprisingly I read of people recommending simple wet tissue in the ear, it was meant to be closer to filtering the same as the proper muscician ones than the general use ones. And I don't think it was a simple case of them being poorly fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I have a set of Alpine MusicSafe Pro that I got from amazon, they kinda work, had a bit of ringing meself and use these to make sure it does not get worse.

I think it's a pair of these I have. Think my hearing was impaired by a Swans gig. Used these and was able to be up the front at Mogwai's gig in the Olympia last year, heard everything great but no after effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Coincidentally I brought my daughter to a gig yesterday and the security guards jokingly gave me a pair. They were great. It was my first time to try it and I didn't feel that it made a big quality difference.its not like the quality was pristine in the first place anyway. It made a huge volume difference.

Was it Ed Sheeran? I don't think it was a joke,you owe the gaurd a debt of gratitude.

OP Ive friends who use earpeace and highly recommend them and say it can improve the quality of the music cutting out background chatter/noise

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

If the cheap ones do a job I might invest, I've seen some up to 150 quid or so. Does the music really sound no different in quality at concert volumes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

milehip wrote: »
    Was it Ed Sheeran? I don't think it was a joke,you owe the gaurd a debt of gratitude.

OP Ive friends who use earpeace and highly recommend them and say it can improve the quality of the music cutting out background chatter/noise

No, Jon Bellion. We were right in front of a couple of speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If the cheap ones do a job I might invest, I've seen some up to 150 quid or so. Does the music really sound no different in quality at concert volumes?

I find earplugs improve the sound quality for the most part.

• Advertisement

I find earplugs improve the sound quality for the most part.

We used to use wet tissue back in the day, seriously at 14-15 back in the mid 90's I knew leaving a gig with my ears ringing was bad, though we played in bands then too so had some awareness of tinnitus . Haven't had that happen in 10+ years at a gig or nightclub with regulations but completely agree, wearing plugs at a gig is like the difference between speakers and headphones sometimes.

Advertisement