Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Over hyped by Peter Ebdon, decent player but don't see anything special that suggests he'll be world champion any time soon (though I'd quite like it if he did do it).

Ebdon isn't the only one who thinks he will be a world champion st some stage but I'd be in agreement with yourself in that he has never looked like someone who is a bit special. I'd feel the same about McGill.

He should remain a solid top 16 player but with the likes of Yan Bingtao and Zhou Yeulong are more likely to be the ones to replace the Higgins, O'Sullivans and the Selbys (a few years more to go there) as the real top class players.

Ding still has a lot of time on his side too, and tomorrow could be the win needed for him to finally fulfil his potential.

From an Irish perspective Josh Boileau can definitely make it as a decent pro, was unfortunate to get Gary Wilson in the 1st round of the qualifiers this year where he lost 10-9. He will need a bit of luck to get going but the potential is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Something I've noticed from BBC last few years, John Higgins nearly never gets shown on the feature table when there's a choice of two. He's also rarely talked about with the respect of someone who's won what he has.

Well you would imagine that Higgins would still be a ratings draw and that's the bottom line.
    I also know for a fact it ran far deeper than what was outed and he should have been given the same treatment as Stephen Lee was.

Ran deeper in what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Passenger wrote: »

Ran deeper in what way?

There was years of really damning betting irregularities submitted to the snooker board and he was by far the biggest and worst culprit. For whatever reason they decided to not pursue it fully, perhaps thought that life banning the world number 1 at the time would do irreparable damage to the game I dunno. The news of the world entrapment happened largely because everyone knew how dirty he was. Plenty of pros and ex pros such as Davis completely washed their hands of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

A Slowby Higgins final would be a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Ebdon is dreadful on commentary, Could do without Colin Murray although he's role is reduced think he's still on the team, and Jason Mohammad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ebdon is dreadful on commentary, Could do without Colin Murray although he's role is reduced think he's still on the team, and Jason Mohammad

Ebdon is dreadful on commentary alright.. He just has nothing to add, it's all filler.

Isn't Colin Murray hosting Eurosport coverage now?

Fu is getting absolutely destroyed by Selby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Peter File wrote: »
    A Slowby Higgins final would be a nightmare.

I will disagree with this.

Two of the best match players to ever play the game. I would very much like to watch that final.

I'd rather Ronnie or Ding there but that would be a quality final.

Jesus that is some break from Selby.

Unbelievable stuff.

Boring my arse, if Ronnie did that they'd be waxing lyrical for weeks.

3 total clearances this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

That must be a record of sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I particularly loved Selbys expression when he lost the 14th frame. He was fuming. That's hendryesque kind of stuff. The man's a beast and I can't see Higgins or anyone getting close to him this week, he won't even have to play this well again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

mdwexford wrote: »
    Jesus that is some break from Selby.

Unbelievable stuff.

Boring my arse, if Ronnie did that they'd be waxing lyrical for weeks.

3 total clearances this morning.

Ronnie doesn't need to be that far ahead to play like that.

learn_more wrote: »
    Ronnie doesn't need to be that far ahead to play like that.

That was one of the greatest breaks the crucible has seen in recent years.

Nobody will make one like that again for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

There was years of really damning betting irregularities submitted to the snooker board and he was by far the biggest and worst culprit. For whatever reason they decided to not pursue it fully, perhaps thought that life banning the world number 1 at the time would do irreparable damage to the game I dunno. The news of the world entrapment happened largely because everyone knew how dirty he was. Plenty of pros and ex pros such as Davis completely washed their hands of him.

Davis just said he's a massive John Higgins fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Something I've noticed from BBC last few years, John Higgins nearly never gets shown on the feature table when there's a choice of two. He's also rarely talked about with the respect of someone who's won what he has.

You'd wonder if his match fixing scandal has tainted his legacy somewhat. I also know for a fact it ran far deeper than what was outed and he should have been given the same treatment as Stephen Lee was.

Maybe it's because he is a dull, boring and unexciting to watch.....almost in the Steve Davis category. He probably appeals to a lot of Irish as he is a Celtic fan......he should have gotten a lengthy ban for that scandal a few years ago but the 'snooker chiefs' thought otherwise and left him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

For anyone that missed Selbys 143 break against FU just now, its already on youtube... Eurosport 1 commentary :) Dont know how long it will be left up there.

Didn't Higgins ring a bookie during a WC final

Looking to bet against himself in case he lost.He then went on to win.

He's clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer if that's true

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Maybe it's because he is a dull, boring and unexciting to watch.....almost in the Steve Davis category.

If you think that about Higgins and Davis you shouldn't be watching snooker to be honest.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    If you think that about Higgins and Davis you shouldn't be watching snooker to be honest.

There's a lot of people who only watch when Sullivan plays.
    Like him or loathe him he'll be a huge loss when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It sure was demolition derby this morning.

There's a lot of people who only watch when Sullivan plays.
    Like him or loathe him he'll be a huge loss when he retires.

Yep they are bandwagon people who don't enjoy snooker, apparently.

I love watching Ronnie and will be gutted when he calls it a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Muppet Man wrote: »
    For anyone that missed Selbys 143 break against FU just now, its already on youtube... Eurosport 1 commentary :) Dont know how long it will be left up there.

That's been blocked now unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its up on their official channel, won't be removed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anyone who finds Selby boring must not remember the good old 80s and Terry Griffiths. I still remember the crushing disappointment when the semi-final tickets I had pre-booked for Goffs turned out to be Denis Taylor v Terry G.

This could be epic.

Ronnie needs 3-1 in this mini session.

• Advertisement

Sullivan to turn this one around

Advertisement