Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Passenger wrote: »
    They should wear a special hat imho. A big pointy one. With bells hanging off it.
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Hope Selby wins so he can finally live up to his nickname then.

What, bell end? I'm joking. :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It really could be 2-2, it's not like Selby yesterday who was just sensational, Hawkins would want to wake up fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Eurosport were in the practice room interviewing McManus during the interval. Hawkins was with Griffiths on one table and Selby on the other. They said Selby has just changed his tip and is bedding it in. Will it affect him in any way? Probably not...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Ding going well but there's a long way to go, will he be able to maintain this over a long match.
    Even if Ding is ahead in the last session i'm sure Selbys gamesmanship, slow play even when the next shot is obvious, time wasting and face pulling will go into overdrive and drive Ding around the bend.
    It would be brilliant if Ding can beat the anti snooker but i wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This world championship the way the bbc have sat in the practice room and then interviewed the winners after the match has been a good feature. Can see them doing this for other tournaments from now on.

Makes the snooker players even more accesible than they already are, and the players have been interesting to listen to.

Compared to the banal rubbish you get during football interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good fight back from Hawkins, at worst he'll be 2-6 down going into tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Poor stuff tonight.

If Barry clears these for 5-3 he's had a right result.

Good man Barry.

Great stuff to get out two behind after those first four where he couldn't pot a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ronnie making his debut as a pundit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Not sure he'd make a good pundit

Just a hunch

• Advertisement

Not sure he'd make a good pundit

Just a hunch

Did you watch him? He seemed insightful enough tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Has he not done a few tournaments already, maybe on ITV4?
    Sure I've seen him.

He was on Eurosport tonight anyway.

Did you watch him? He seemed insightful enough tbh.

I caught him earlier today with Jimmy white

They were discussing John Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He has been on Eurosport on numerous occasions in the past, he was doing punditry on his 40th birthday for them and they had cake.

I think he first appeared as a pundit on Eurosport at the 2015 UK Championship, pretty sure that's when they brought in Colin Murray, when before that Eurosport's coverage was just bare bones.

So is he a good pundit?

Only switched it on tonight. Usually watch the BBC coverage. He seemed honest enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

So is he a good pundit?

YES!!!....I think he's great,super insight in the game and alongside his mate Jimmy White have a few laughs aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Obvious bias is obvious...my 2 favourite players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

So is he a good pundit?

He's very good, he also took some time in between pundit work to coach Liang Wenbo in between sessions in his semi-final at the English Open.

Great little clip worth 2 mins of your time :)

As for Barry v John, I've been out drinking with Barry in the past he used to play the pro-ams in Killarney, but he cost me a memorable moment.

I qualified out of my group in the Liam O' Connor Memorial Pro-am and was 3-0 up in last-32 that year, on a break of 58 against a pro named Jason Pegram and out of nowhere Barry and Joe Perry decided to stroll over and sit down to support their mate (no pressure!) and then Matthew Stevens sat down beside them and I twitched, he cleared up with 72 and I ended up losing 4-3.

Was due to play Paul Hunter in the next round on the Main Table FML (would have been getting 18 start from Paul). Went out and got ossified with Jamie Cope and Joe Perry instead lol.

Anyway TL;DR - Barry's literally one of the soundest lads you could meet and delighted he's finally having success. Huge frame to go 4-1 down today, if John had polished that off he'd have been racing towards 7-1.

The problem right now is I honestly can't see Barry winning any sessions better than 5-3 with the way John is playing but if John turns it on he can win one of them 6-2. I'd have to lean towards 17-13 to Higgins at the moment but Barry is absolute granite he won't make it easy for him.

In the other side of the draw, Selby changed his tip tonight so for anyone into gambling, if you can still get good odds on Ding to win or even Ding to win with -2.5 handicap wise, now is the time. That tip won't be bedded in no matter how much he practices in the morning.

Ding will win the next session 5-3 or 6-2 is my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I think I read somewhere that it's being streamed live in America on Facebook.
    Cant thank you enough for this! Perfect

Just to note that this is only covering up to and including the semi-finals. In case you are relying on it for the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

All square now

God Selby was driving me nuts there.

Ding better beat him or I'll puke.

Selby jamming it safe after hurling reds everywhere.

Ding gets an unlucky kiss to leave a red over the pocket.

Unreal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement