Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If Ding wins he'll have done it the hard way, while it's not pretty I have a grudging respect for Selby for being such an awkward hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Zero across both channels at the moment!. I rate McManus as a commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

If Ding wins he'll have done it the hard way, while it's not pretty I have a grudging respect for Selby for being such an awkward hoor.
    It is really hard to watch. I don't mind a few tactical frames but he makes so many frames into grinding slow grim battles providing the crowd with no enjoyment. I dont think he would sell many tickets for exhibitions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Peter File wrote: »
    It is really hard to watch. I don't mind a few tactical frames but he makes so many frames into grinding slow grim battles providing the crowd with no enjoyment.

But he's not at the Crucible to make it fun for the crowd, he's there to win. At the end of the day, nobody is going to remember this championship in ten years for somebody entertaining the crowd, but they will remember it for the person who won

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

BDJW wrote: »
    But he's not at the Crucible to make it fun for the crowd, he's there to win. At the end of the day, nobody is going to remember this championship in ten years for somebody entertaining the crowd, but they will remember it for the person who won

If that's the case, maybe they should stop referring to him as 'The Jester from Leicester'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Selby making me sick.

Starting to dislike him more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

mdwexford wrote: »
    God Selby was driving me nuts there.

Ding better beat him or I'll puke.

Get your bucket ready, the Ding capitulation is well underway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

mdwexford wrote: »
    Selby making me sick.

Starting to dislike him more and more.

What is it that he's doing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

_feedback_ wrote: »
    What is it that he's doing?!

Beating Ding :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Not too many mentions of "these super fine cloths", everything else I can cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Can't remember which final it was, but I recall Selby just eventually wearing down his opponent with never ending safety battles, to scrape by, one point at a time, until the frame was his. You can admire his tenacity I suppose, but it makes for a soporific final. Like being on an endless long haul flight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great break by Ding, back to 7-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ding played terrifically to win that frame. Selby 7 - 6 Ding. Watching BBC coverage btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

tanko wrote: »
    Get your bucket ready, the Ding capitulation is well underway.

I think it's fair to point out Ding was 4-1 down to Selby in the Shanghai Masters Final in front of traditionally his highest pressure event and he managed to go 9-2 to win the Final 10-6.

I wouldn't count on a capitulation.

All that said very impressed with how Selby has played with the new tip this morning, made a joke of my prediction!

Ding has rediscovered his touch and is putting the pressure on the torturer in this final frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

He has to..

The advantage goes to Selby if he doesn't play him at his own game

Terry Griffith's in his corner must be a big help here

They played a similar frame yesterday where it was all cautious safety shots and snookers. Ding has Selby sussed and is the only player to play him at his own game.

Ding 9:7 down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Great session by Selby, slowly grinding Ding into his sort of match. If Ding moves away from his natural game he doesn't have a hope in hell.

Selby did it to Fu to, Fu usually one of the quicker players on tour but by the end was taking 28 seconds per shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

BDJW wrote: »
    At the end of the day, nobody is going to remember this championship in ten years for somebody entertaining the crowd, but they will remember it for the person who won

Ha I think I'm the person who remembers the entertaining bits and not the winners.

Ronnie's fastest 147 is my favorite snooker moment ever, couldn't tell you who won it that year!

So many moments over the years.

I'll probably remember his 146 next year and struggle to name the winner ☺️

In saying that I love watching Selby play.

Entertainment is somewhat subjective though. If you want a masterclass in safety play then Selby is your man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Passenger wrote: »
    Entertainment is somewhat subjective though. If you want a masterclass in safety play then Selby is your man.

Yeah i agree. I love watching Selby. The precision he plays with is just ridiculous. For me he plays a very attacking, clever safety game. He really puts his opponent in the worst position he can.

Advertisement