Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Should that pink have went on the blue spot or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

bajer101 wrote: »
    They're dead right. Aside from it being very annoying for the viewer, it is a character weakness and he needs to stop it. He should ban his wife and friends from his games for a while.

He's world number 1 for the last two years and has two world championships in 3 years and in the final yet again... he's doing alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Selby seems to get fatigued like this after hard matches

His type of game takes a lot of mental effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

The auld lad commentators are from a particular era, romanticizing past games and players etc, full of phrases of yore. Yeah, a bit jaded, but they've gotta say their thing. We can rip into them, but they'll keep saying it until the BBC retire them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    He's world number 1 for the last two years and has two world championships in 3 years and in the final yet again... he's doing alright.

Davis and Hendry commented at length about it and said that it was a sign of insecurity, and as such in their opinion is a weakness with regards to his game. Regardless of how well he has done, or is doing, if those two identify a slight problem with his temperament he should address it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Davis and Hendry commented at length about it and said that it was a sign of insecurity, and as such in their opinion is a weakness with regards to his game. Regardless of how well he has done, or is doing, if those two identify a slight problem with his temperament he should address it.

Commentators/pundits talk shyte all the time.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

He's been with him for years, possibly since the pool days. They did a spot on Eurosport about him the other day. Seems that his main job is to keep him happy and distracted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Thank god nobody around here is guilty of that:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

His son :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bobby Lee?

Davis and Hendry, seriously? I think you would have to admit that those two know a thing or two about the mentality and temperament involved.

Davis and Hendry, seriously? I think you would have to admit that those two know a thing or two about the mentality and temperament involved.

They're snooker players not psychologists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

mdwexford wrote: »
    Good to hear Hendry and Davis give Selby stick for his constant glances to his box.
    Passenger wrote: »
    It's insecurity according to Hendry. It has to be.

And according to Ken "I don't see anything wrong with it".

Hendry - 7
    Davis - 6
    Ken - 1

I love Ken but maybe that comment illustrates the difference in mindsets between ruthless winners and simply brilliant players.

Higgins was 2/1 to win this game before the start. As Ronnie said, crazy odds. Higgins is never 2/1 against anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Selby is having a nightmare here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I think ye should stick to watching the snooker instead of the armchair psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Great to see Selby getting a taste of his own medicine. I said during the semis that Higgins is the only player that can beat Selby in the safety stakes.

Higgins needs to make hay tonight before Selby gets a night's sleep. He could do enough damage so that's there's no real way back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Funny to see what Selby did with green there. Always do that myself, a tough shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Brilliant clear up by Higgins, Selby under pressure, but he came back from a similar deficit against Ronnie a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

Was that shot up to the green called as a free ball? I didn't hear it, if it was and the blue was possible.

Higgins was 2/1 to win this game before the start. As Ronnie said, crazy odds. Higgins is never 2/1 against anyone.

It seems there was money to be made with those odds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Panrich wrote: »
    Was that shot up to the green called as a free ball? I didn't hear it, if it was and the blue was possible.
    Higgins put Selby back in instead. I presume he had the choice of which he wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 36,259 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Higgins proves that the game, at its core, hasn't changed much over the years. Not enough of the modern players have the ability to play proper matchplay snooker. Selby understands that, and has been number 1 for 2 years in no small part because of his matchplay instincts, moreso than his potting and breakbuilding.

Selby is making mistakes, but it's because he knows Higgins can beat him in the trenches. Selby won't grind Higgins down.

Selby will have to blow him off the table to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

They're snooker players not psychologists

They know more about a professional sport winning mentality than any psychologist.
    I think ye should stick to watching the snooker instead of the armchair psychology

A big part of snooker is the mental side of it so it's a valid discussion.

Long way to go but a good opportunity here for Selby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Panrich wrote: »

Yeah it was called as a free ball

Selby can't grind higgins here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

He was also 15/2 to win the first session 6-2, and 33/1, 50/1, 66/1 and 80/1 to win from such scorelines as 18-13, 18-11, 18-9, 18-7.

So I hear.

Advertisement