Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

LOL @ the fist pumps from Selby.

Reminder - You're 10-7 down and had to produce your best to win a session 5-4.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes no doubt they can leave the cushion faster than expected, but is it faster than it went onto the cushion.

Yep!

Balls going on to a cushion are travelling on the bed of the table.

Balls going off the cushion faster than they arrived are then travelling from the rubber of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He was playing absolutely crap and is only 3 down. Shelby's fists pumps do annoy me some what the looking up at his family no and if people thing it is distracting or annoying to Higgins must think Higgins gets distracted and annoyed easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Had no problem with them tonight in fairness. Two massive frames at the end

Big difference between doing them during the frame

He dug deep and has now given himself a wonderful chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Yep!

Balls going on to a cushion are travelling on the bed of the table.

Balls going off the cushion faster than they arrived are then travelling from the rubber of the table.

It's a physical impossibility for a ball to gain speed off a cushion.

If the snooker commentators can prove this phenomenon in laboratory conditions, they will have invented free energy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

bajer101 wrote: »

But but but... surely he can't be wrong, He is obviously a current or former player at a high level

Probably knows Ken well too.
    I think he should continue to give his knowledgeable opinion. He is obviously a current or former player at a high level and would probably knows Ken well. His opinion is probably the most valid on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If the snooker commentators can prove this phenomenon in laboratory conditions, they will have invented free energy.

Selby favourite now. Feck it in anyway.

I thought they were the experts.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    But but but... surely he can't be wrong, He is obviously a current or former player at a high level

That's seriously your debating tactic? You find one item that we disagree upon and therefore all other points are suddenly invalid? I'm too old for this ****e. You know it is a ridiculous debating position, so please stop wasting everyone's time.

Not when you include the fact that most snooker players don't hit the center of the white and most shots have spin on them.

Rotational energy can convert to kinetic energy.

Also if you play with backspin when hitting a cushion it'll exit the cushion faster than it came on (for the above reasons).

In general, my point was when a ball hits a cushion the player (and viewer) are very used to it exiting the cushion at about 90-95% of the speed it hit the cushion (due to the friction of the cloth).

When the cloth wears down and it exits at nearly 100% it appears to exit faster than it came on.

But often it flat out exits faster due to the rotational energy combined with cushion wear.

I can't believe I just spent 10 minutes of my life reading up on rotational kinetic energy.

I'm a failure.

• Advertisement

Not when you include the fact that most snooker players don't hit the center of the white and most shots have spin on them.

Rotational energy can convert to kinetic energy.

Well running side can speed up the white off a cushion. But when commentators mention a fast bounce coming off the cushion faster than it went on, it is usually a straight on and off bounce after a stun shot etc, and they are mentioning it as as a plain ball bounce.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

:pac:

I agree being formerly decent at snooker makes me infallible at physics :):o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Who is the eurosport commentator? Joe something? Its like he's looking at a different match!

4 red balls against the left cushion - "Higgins has 4 nice balls on"

Selby fecked up a safety - "Cracking shot there, what a safety, what a... eh well it would have been...eh... if he got behind the yellow"

Higgins pots awkward red and brings cue ball back to the pink, class shot. Crowd clapping and cheering - "Ooh he'll be disappointed with that"

Selby lining up for the green. Even if you knew nothing about snooker, you can draw an imaginary line in your head from the cue straight to the green - "Mark obviously going for the brown, wait, he took the green! There's a surprise"

I'm sure he's a nice fella, but he's not so hot at the commentating.

Who is the eurosport commentator? Joe something? Its like he's looking at a different match!

4 red balls against the left cushion - "Higgins has 4 nice balls on"

Selby fecked up a safety - "Cracking shot there, what a safety, what a... eh well it would have been...eh... if he got behind the yellow"

Higgins puts awkward red and brings cue ball back to the pink, class shot. Crowd clapping and cheering - "Ooh he'll be disappointed with that"

Selby lining up for the green. Even if you knew nothing about snooker, you can draw an imaginary line in your head from the cue straight to the green - "Mark obviously going for the brown, wait, he took the green! There's a surprise"

I;m sure he's a nice fella, but he's not so hot at the commentating.

Wasn't listening to Eurosport but it's usually Joe Johnson, 1986 World Champion and 1987 finalist.

Yes Joe Johnson does commentary there.

No. Just no. If a ball hits a cushion, unless there is some external influence on that cushion, there is no way in this universe as I understand it, that the ball can come off the cushion faster than it hit it.

No. Just no. If a ball hits a cushion, unless there is some external influence on that cushion, there is no way in this universe as I understand it, that the ball can come off the cushion faster than it hit it.

Myself, and the entire BBC commentary team have re-jigged the laws of physics :)

You'll just have to deal with this new world order :pac:

Anyway, back on topic, when John gets a good sleep he'll be buzzing to have a 10-7 lead he'd have snapped our arm off if he was offered it at the start of the day.

Myself, and the entire BBC commentary team have re-jigged the laws of physics :)

You'll just have to deal with this new world order :pac:

Anyway, back on topic, when John gets a good sleep he'll be buzzing to have a 10-7 lead he'd have snapped our arm off if he was offered it at the start of the day.

Hopefully, and I reckon he'll move on. People will then hopefully start to see - five world championships? Maybe he is actually one of the best ever (which of course he is).

Hopefully, and I reckon he'll move on. People will then hopefully start to see - five world championships? Maybe he is actually one of the best ever (which of course he is).

Well selby is favourite now

Bottom line John just has to come out 4-4 from tomorrow afternoons session.

14-11 going into the evening session is too much to overcome, he'd need John to collapse. Obviously if he can win the afternoon session 5-3 then 15-10 becomes Everest.

It's possible but I see the 5th title upcoming. Mark isn't scoring heavily enough and he can't outplay John safety wise for long periods like he does to other players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bottom line John just has to come out 4-4 from tomorrow afternoons session.

14-11 going into the evening session is too much to overcome, he'd need John to collapse. Obviously if he can win the afternoon session 5-3 then 15-10 becomes Everest.

It's possible but I see the 5th title upcoming. Mark isn't scoring heavily enough and he can't outplay John safety wise for long periods like he does to other players.

those 3 frames will have put doubt in Higgins' mind. He's not the player he was, it's a long time since his last WC and since he was no. 1.

First frame tomorrow is vital, if Higgins wins it he's back to 4 in front, big difference between that and a 2 frame lead.

loyatemu wrote: »
    those 3 frames will have put doubt in Higgins' mind. He's not the player he was, it's a long time since his last WC and since he was no. 1.

First frame tomorrow is vital, if Higgins wins it he's back to 4 in front, big difference between that and a 2 frame lead.

Big time, well first 4 frames. If one of them can win it 3-1 it would be the decisive move. Personally I still think Selby is goosed.

As for Higgins yeah it has been a long time since he was World Champ and no. 1 but.....

More recently he beat Bingham 10-7 in the final in China, beat Ronnie 10-7 in the Champion of Champions Final and won the Championship League......

In fact, if you combine that with the 3 ranking events he won in 2015, you could argue it's the best form he's shown in his career since his golden spell 1998-1999 when he was a machine.

The way I look at it now is this:

Not many people would think Selby can beat Higgins 14-7. That's exactly the mountain he needed to climb at 10-4 down. He's made a good start climbing it for sure but Higgins was nowhere near his best today and still came out with a 3-frame cushion.

It's not insurmountable I just don't see him getting it done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Mod: I had to delete a few posts due to off-topic bickering, I don't want to see anymore of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

John needs to keep things tight today again. He was cooking Selby with his safety play for long periods yesterday, but went for some risky shots in those last couple of frames. All credit to Selby too for taking those frames at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Tickets for next year on sale since 9am. Been 2113 in the queue since then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Ya I'm 467 and I don't seem to be moving at all. Someone somewhere is buying snooker tickets but I'm not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

By that logic it's also impossible for the cue ball to screw back when it hits the object ball. Only the rotational element of its movement can explain why it looks like it breaks the Law of Conservation of Momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Ya I'm 467 and I don't seem to be moving at all. Someone somewhere is buying snooker tickets but I'm not...

Seems to be completely frozen now on me. Raging. I was 585 but hasn't moved at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

paulie21 wrote: »
    Tickets for next year on sale since 9am. Been 2113 in the queue since then :rolleyes:
    nazzy wrote: »
    Seems to be completely frozen now on me. Raging. I was 585 but hasn't moved at all.

Page has been timing out on me since 8.59, havent even got as far as a number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Same.

Advertisement