Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Love him or hate him you have to admire Selby, such a tough competitor.

He has Higgins looking like a lost child, he looks shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

Higgins can't get any rhythm going at all, any time he gets to the table there's nothing easy, & because he's not playing, he can't get the white under control. Selby got a serious run of the balls there a while back too. I'd say it's over now, there'll be no stopping Selby at this point...Higgins would need to come out and dominate, and there's no sign of that at all.

Shame, it's been absolute torture to watch Selby win frame after frame today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It's a shame that this kind of snooker so often wins out though over the more attacking stuff you get from Ding, Trump, O'Sullivan and others. This is torture to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Higgins needs to clear his head. I don't know if he's still thinking about yesterday and how he should have had more of a lead. It's not been pretty today and Selby's had a massive amount of luck but he's made the most of it. Thank God for the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Take nothing away from Selby, he's managed to improve Higgins' popularity by comparison, not a feat to be taken lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

It's a shame that this kind of snooker so often wins out though over the more attacking stuff you get from Ding, Trump, O'Sullivan and others. This is torture to watch.

It is sad that a player who plays so negative is so successful. Few players have the patience to put up with his deliberately slow attritional style of play. He seems to revel in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Fair play to Selby. Not his fault Higgins is bottling it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This is reminding me a lot of the 2014 match between them at the Masters when John had that pretty famous interview after Selby beat him 6-5 , where John just repeated these words before storming out of the interview:

"I bottled it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

People here are being too harsh on Selby imo, hes not as bad as Ebdon, hes just an extremely good match player, doesn't make many mistakes and shuts out his opponent. He's an incredibly dominant player, he could go on and dominate the sport, which is far more impressive than Hendry or Davis due to the quality around today.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

John needs the first or he'll be on the end of a hiding I think. Looking forward to this. Hopefully some big breaks with a mix of some tactical safety frames.

Come on Mark!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

First frame is huge, if Selby wins it, it's practically over.

Ronnie saying on Eurosport that Higgins is the second best player ever behind Hendry.

First frame is huge, if Selby wins it, it's practically over.

Ronnie saying on Eurosport that Higgins is the second best player ever behind Hendry.

Ronnie then Hendry for me, still lots to come from Selby though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Higgins had a great chance to clear up

Looks like this is going to be over early :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

10-1 in the last 11 frames, has been a collapse of epic proportions from Higgins. Selby still hasn't played anywhere near the level he did against Ding to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

All over now, no way back for Higgins. And I was hoping for a late night nail biting finish :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Higgins had a great chance to clear up

Looks like this is going to be over early :(

Yep has 18-11 written all over it now, sadly.

Hard to see how Higgins is ever going to win a frame let alone make this close.

Hope I'm wrong but it's mighty hard to overcome a 14-11 deficit to Selby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Selby is looking unstoppable. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Can't understand all the dislike of MS, he is such a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

10-1 in the last 11 frames, has been a collapse of epic proportions from Higgins. Selby still hasn't played anywhere near the level he did against Ding to do so.

He could play with the handle of a brush and still win these frames. Higgins is barely capable of stringing a few potts together. Bottle completely gone, it looks like.

Both with chances there. 14-11 Selby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This year's championship has gone in a blur. Can't believe it's over already.

Nearly december now until major snooker tournament back on. Always a bit withdrawal starts to go on now.

Can't understand all the dislike of MS, he is such a great player.

I agree - who cares if he looks up to his family? (which seems to be the main gripe here for many) It's the tv director that is effectively making a big deal of it anyways - panning up to the cougar Vicky every time he does look up. don't find him too slow a player. his all-round game is very impressive to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It may leave a sour taste in some people mouth but you must give it to Selby how he has picked himself up and how he cam back today even if he was to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

glasso wrote: »
    I agree - who cares if he looks up to his family? (which seems to be the main gripe here for many) It's the tv director that is effectively making a big deal of it anyways - panning up to the cougar Vicky every time he does look up. don't find him too slow a player. his all-round game is very impressive to watch.

I think he's a great player, I just can't put my finger on why he irritates me. I think I've just got it into my head that he's a bit of a gowl, and everything he does reinforces that perception, whether warranted or not. I mean, take his reaction beating Ding in the semi, t'was perfectly reasonable realistically, but it just feeds into the image I have of him. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This is reminiscent of the 92 final where Jimmy White blew a 14-8 lead while playng magnificent snooker throughout the whole tournament. Hendry won the last ten frames, and I absolutely despised him for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think he's a great player, I just can't put my finger on why he irritates me. I think I've just got it into my head that he's a bit of a gowl, and everything he does reinforces that perception, whether warranted or not. I mean, take his reaction beating Ding in the semi, t'was perfectly reasonable realistically, but it just feeds into the image I have of him. :o

He is not the only one. I mean take Robertson in his match against Ding he was celebrating before the frame was over and every shot after that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What a horrendous time for Higgins to get a kick

Advertisement