Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Surprised they couldn't see it hit in studio

Hope Higgins can level it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The ref was so close to it - he had a better view than Selby or the cameras. Any other ref and I wouldn't be so sure, but I'd be inclined to trust big Jan's judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

To be fair to Jan he called a foul in real time and was looking at it closer then anyway in the crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Davis is spot on.. the reflection / light from the cue ball makes it look like contact from one angle but other angles are more conclusive that it didn't IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Got a bit of luck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Earleybird wrote: »
    This would be sick if a player who should never have played again goes on to win after a decision like that

You're talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

On one replay it clearly touched the black. In the box they confirmed, but I think the ref back tracked that he was getting a second opinion and he shouldn't in that case. So he went back to original decision.which maybe was a bit jobsworth. Which I believe was in error. He may have been afraid of higgins challenging it.

I think the guys in the box weren't sure. Jan said "If they're not sure I'm going with my original decision.", which leads me to believe there was doubt, and he had to go with what he saw in real time. Like, even in the studio they both said it was a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Close. Very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

That side shot from distance is the best view, right call.

I wonder how the other mr. Higgins i.e. Alexander would have reacted to that decision by 'jan' the ref. Head butt most likely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

bajer101 wrote: »
    You're talking nonsense.

How is that? The video was about as damning as you can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Maybe keep your opinion to yourself about that incident for the moment. Everybody here is enjoying a great final and a great thread chatting about it, so don't ruin it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Don't think Selby hit the black, anyway he should have made sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭4Ad

Good decision to restart..

Ken's hands perspiring now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Lots of 'Ukrainians' tuning in tonight I'd say 'throwing' a few bets on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well he is a top ref and you don't want that dominating the final, but I think he got it wrong. He had doubt himself and is the ref supposed to get a second opinion in this case? He himself said they couldn't use the replay. So he backtracked. Or maybe the box agreed/indicated he should stick to his one and only call.

Take it to the Conspiracy Theory forum at this stage. It has been explained so many times already in this thread alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

BDJW wrote: »
    Maybe keep your opinion to yourself about that incident for the moment. Everybody here is enjoying a great final and a great thread chatting about it, so don't ruin it

Sorry, thought this site was about offering opinions. Consider me silenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

Man I'm loving this final.

2nd re-rack

It wouldn't surprise me if there is another re-rack here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Well he is a top ref and you don't want that dominating the final, but I think he got it wrong. He had doubt himself and is the ref supposed to get a second opinion in this case? He himself said they couldn't use the replay. So he backtracked. Or maybe the box agreed/indicated he should stick to his one and only call.

It seemed like the box initially agreed with him (he was overturning the decision), then there was more hubbub and they (the box) seemed to indicate they had doubts. He says at one point "Well, if they're (to which I thought he was referring to the box) not sure, I'm sticking with the call."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Had to leave it unfortunately..great game...what's the score now?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is there a limit to how many reracks can happen in a frame ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

His doubt came from the reaction of Selby imo. He shouldn't be swayed by the players and he was right to stick to his original opinion. The scorer said he could not say for sure so the ref had to go with his original call.

SteM wrote: »
    His doubt came from the reaction of Selby imo

That's exactly what I was thinking too. I thought he actually looked a bit surprised that Selby questioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Hawk- Eye for next year.

• Advertisement

Selby starting to look up at his mates again. He wasn't doing that when he was blazing it.

Advertisement