Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why do people not like him.
    I haven't been following snooker in a while.

Something a bit dull and sour about him...I was rooting for John.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I don't get it myself.

He has the complete game.

Because he is a grinder and not as pretty to watch as Ronnie

walshb wrote: »
    Something a bit dull and sour about him...I was rooting for John.

the dour Scot?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

He's very robotic and has a tendency to play negative shots and try to bog frames down. He will grind you down but not necessarily exciting to watch. But I am confident that Judd Trump will topple him with exciting snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

walshb wrote: »
    Beautiful child...

A real little star.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

bajer101 wrote:
    You're a bit of a prick, aren't you?

No just don't like a cheat. Stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is Ronnie not capable of winning another world title? He talks like he's past it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I can't see Ronnie winning another ranking tournament myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is Ronnie not capable of winning another world title? He talks like he's past it .

Attention seeking twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Because he is a grinder and not as pretty to watch as Ronnie

A grinder? I remember Cliff Thorburn v Terry Griffiths...! Not a grinder by those standards that's for sure

Not as exciting a player as Trump but excitement doesn't win titles, ask Jimmy White about that :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I don't enjoy his style of play, his movement is very deliberate and robotic. I prefer to watch players who have more fluidity to their game, Ding, O'Sullivan and Fu would be my choice.

There's also the fact he looks like a mopey git, except for when he's playing up to his dedicated cheering section. (Wife, Asian buddy, etc; )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Glad Selby won it, he is the best player in the world by quite a distance at the minute. Thought it was a great point that was mentioned that he is a very dominant player in arguably the most competitive era in snooker history. An impressive feat.

Ronnie just referenced the Grinder thing. He compared Selby to Thornburn with flair! Thorburn used to wreck Alex's head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

skipper_G wrote: »

There's also the fact he looks like a mopey git,

Given his early life, that's hardly surprising. Judd Trump has rarely come across as anything but a prat, so could never warm to him. He won't win world titles because he's exciting. It's not enough

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks to all of you for being so welcoming and providing commentary I'll be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

People talk alot about who the best player of all time is. It's normally a debate between Hendry v O'Sullivan, with Davis generally being placed 3rd. I think a great match player like Selby coming along and dominating the game puts huge question marks over the above. Could Hendry or O'Sullivan really live with a superior match player like Davis at his best, dragging every match into a war of attrition? I doubt it.

Well done Selby. Tough tough competitor. I'm not his biggest fan but don't find him boring, moreso interesting. Unbelievable temperament. Not too many players can live with him. A younger John Higgins certainly, but not many others spring to mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Milivojevic

I'd be shocked if Selby doesn't win more than 7 world titles. He's sensational.

He's a millionaire with a beautiful wife and child, I'd say he's laughing at the people calling him boring and "mopey".

People talk alot about who the best player of all time is. It's normally a debate between Hendry v O'Sullivan, with Davis generally being placed 3rd. I think a great match player like Selby coming along and dominating the game puts huge question marks over the above. Could Hendry or O'Sullivan really live with a superior match player like Davis at his best, dragging every match into a war of attrition? I doubt it.

Well done Selby. Tough tough competitor. I'm not his biggest fan but don't find him boring, moreso interesting. Unbelievable temperament. Not too many players can live with him. A younger John Higgins certainly, but not many others spring to mind

No player, past or present, in their prime could have lived with Selby this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Hendry in his prime was a machine. If he got on a ball at all it was frame over. Haven't seen that level of devastating consistency since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'd be shocked if Selby doesn't win more than 7 world titles. He's sensational.

He's a millionaire with a beautiful wife and child, I'd say he's laughing at the people calling him boring and "mopey".

I dunno about the beautiful wife part but he can win many more for sure. He could easily date some stone broke Lingerie model who would be impressed with his flair and money.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Victoria+Secret+models+attending+Victoria+4jEcaRV0bLyx.jpg

Selby won in end, but Higgins contributed to his victory big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Hendry had better hair styles than Selby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I think for Ronnie to win another world title he need to do what he did previously and stay of the circuit and play only the World. He gets involved in silly controversies which takes his concentration off what he's supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Mark Lamarr just called, he wants his hair back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Given his early life, that's hardly surprising.

What happened in his early life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Fair play to Shelby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Pity Higgins getting to the final wouldn't spur Ronnie on to give it a real go for the next 5 years or so.

Go properly on the circuit, playing everything, win as many titles as possible and move up to where he belongs in the rankings.

Hopefully this tournament and beating Ronnie will give Ding even more confidence now. He's such a fantastic player to watch. His break building in around the pink and black really is sublime. Will be such a shame if he never wins a world title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is Selby world pool champ as well??

Advertisement