Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Can see Hawkins pull well clear of Dott also. Just leaves Robertson vs Fu as a tight one to determine the quarters.

After that any one of the 8 remaining would be a strong champion. It will be tight

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great clearance by Xiao, hope he can keep this up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Can't believe this was 20 years ago!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpeBugHSCnU

Ronnie's 5m20sec 147

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

BBC showing 2 snooker documentaries from 9 when there's actual live action available :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

paulie21 wrote: »
    BBC showing 2 snooker documentaries from 9 when there's actual live action available :rolleyes:

The BBC coverage gets worse every year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Jimmy White and his roadkill wig. Your guesses on a postcard please as to what it once was. Whatever it was, it can't have been old as there's not a grey hair in sight. I seen someone mention Conte, Chelsea's manager. At least if you're going to do it, do it right like he did.

McLeod got battered. No offence to the man but he was shocking. Trump will lose sleep for a long time yet over this. Even in beating Trump, you can't say McLeod played stellar stuff. Why would Higgins or O'Sullivan retire? This generation are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

sligeach wrote: »
    Jimmy White and his roadkill wig. Your guesses on a postcard please as to what it once was. Whatever it was, it can't have been old as there's not a grey hair in sight. I seen someone mention Conte, Chelsea's manager. At least if you're going to do it, do it right like he did.

McLeod got battered. No offence to the man but he was shocking. Trump will lose sleep for a long time yet over this. Even in beating Trump, you can't say McLeod played stellar stuff. Why would Higgins or O'Sullivan retire? This generation are awful.
    Has Trump given an explanation for his implosion yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

sligeach wrote: »

Which generation does McLeod belong to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The production qualities of the Rack Pack programme is fairly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Doubt it, I'd say he's just disillusioned that he can't translate his form from the lesser tournaments into the big ones. He's getting more in his own head in these big TV tournaments than ever. He's played 18 tournaments this year, the only ones were he was knocked out in the first round were The World's, the Masters, and the China Championship(were the prize money is very big), and exited the UK championship in the 2nd round, so he's bombed badly in the 4 big money events. Think his problem is he wants them too badly and completely loses his natural game.

He's snookers equivalent to Sergio Garcia, will prob eventually win the world's in his mid-late 30's after numerous existential crises.

It looks like both afternoon sessions are going to be over before the mid session interval. Selby seems to be playing even slower this year.
    Hoping for another quality session from Fu and Robertson later.

Peter File wrote: »
    It looks like both afternoon sessions are going to be over before the mid session interval. Selby seems to be playing even slower this year.
    Hoping for another quality session from Fu and Robertson later.

You'd have been fairly gutted if you payed for an afternoons snooker there on barely got an hour.

Surely they'll bring out some ex pros for an exhibition match for the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You'd have been fairly gutted if you payed for an afternoons snooker there on barely got an hour.

Surely they'll bring out some ex pros for an exhibition match for the crowd.

Do they raise the partition so they can see the other game?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Can't believe Dennis Taylor just said that Barry Hawkins was easy on the eye. That's enough snooker for me this afternoon, back in the evening for Fu/Robertson where I hope Hendry will be commentating.

learn_more wrote: »
    Can't believe Dennis Taylor just said that Barry Hawkins was easy on the eye. That's enough snooker for me this afternoon, back in the evening for Fu/Robertson where I hope Hendry will be commentating.
    I'd love Hendry and Davis together commenting. That would be superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Some people have issues with certain commentators but they're all fairly innocuous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Peter File wrote: »
    I'd love Hendry and Davis together commenting. That would be superb.

I think having 2 recently retired players can end up with a rather "dry" expert commentary. The BBC has loads of good experts like Hendry, but the more colour commentator types like Virgo and Taylor are awful in my opinion. Hendry and someone like Clive Everton would be my ideal pairing.

Hendry may be the most blunt commentator in sport, refreshing at times. Especially in matches where everyone knows are all but over and he's asked if he can see a way back for the trailing opponent, most try to build anticipation for the viewer at home, but he doesn't mind saying 'x doesn't have a hope from here'.

I don't mind Taylor too much tbh, think he reads the game very well, Virgo intolerable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I love x, really knows his stuff, but I hate y, an insufferable bore, and as for z.... well, zzzzzz,

Typical commentator talk. One mans nectar is another man's poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

People who got tickets for table two today would have gotten 3 frames this afternoon and a complete blank this evening. Horrible luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭munster87

I love x, really knows his stuff, but I hate y, an insufferable bore, and as for z.... well, zzzzzz,

Typical commentator talk. One mans nectar is another man's poison.

Is the third commentator boring you to sleep or are you such a fan that you are chanting his name repeatedly!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mdwexford wrote: »
    People who got tickets for table two today would have gotten 3 frames this afternoon and a complete blank this evening. Horrible luck.

At least the curtain will be up from the start so they can see Fu v Robertson, though I'm not sure what the viewing angles are like for the far table.
    But on balance I think if I was them I'd prefer that to for instance Maguire 12 McLeod 4 being the score and getting 1 or 2 frames of that instead.

Advertisement