Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Largest Non-Nuclear Bomb in world dropped on Afghanistan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Gatling wrote: »
    Can't wait to see the video ,

Mother of all Bombs

Will there be a video? Doubt it if there is any sign of civilian life in the surrounding area.

I fear Trump has got the taste for the power that comes with giving orders to fire missiles. Did he really have to use this type. Worrying times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

PucaMama wrote: »
    CNN just said bomb was in area to be used before trump was elected

MASSIVE 180 TURN EVERYONE, OUR DARLING OBAMA PLANNED THIS! WE LOVE MOAB'S NOW!Still, something something something Trump nasty something something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Its considered a nuclear weapon, a small one.

actually this is wrong, its a ''conventional bomb''..this means non-nuclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For anyone who is interested, here is what the same bomb dropped on the Spire in O Connell Street would look like. The blast radius is actually quite small:

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html?dll=40.71427,-74.00597&yd=0.011&zm=14&op=156

Edit: Damn thing keeps resetting to Manhattan. She wants to go to her spiritual home heheh

Its over twice that area according to the below.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/effect-of-moab-bomb-on-new-york-city-2017-4?r=US&IR=T
    But it the bomb detonated inside a cave complex ,the blast and pressure would be kept fairly contained to a fairly small area

Its specifically designed to be detonated above the ground, so lots of the energy doesn't just piss into the earth, same as nukes and lots of bigger bombs. I've no idea the true blast radius but if the picture I posted on page 2 is accurate, it kills people up to 2.7km away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What's all the fuss about, the MOAB isn't the largest non-nuclear weapon in the US inventory......the MOP is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

CNN just said bomb was in area to be used before trump was elected

MASSIVE 180 TURN EVERYONE, OUR DARLING OBAMA PLANNED THIS! WE LOVE MOAB'S NOW!Still, something something something Trump nasty something something.
    Our darling obama?? That better not be aimed at me.

Its over twice that area according to the below, the MOABs actual explosive yield is classified anyways. I'm interested as to who's arse you pulled 0.011KT from.

Its specifically designed to be detonated above the ground, so lots of the energy doesn't just piss into the earth, same as nukes and lots of bigger bombs. I've no idea the true blast radius but if the picture I posted on page 2 is accurate, it kills people up to 2.7km away

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_Massive_Ordnance_Air_Blast

the stats of the bomb are all here, explosive yield is not clasified by any means.

Its over twice that area according to the below, the MOABs actual explosive yield is classified anyways. I'm interested as to who's arse you pulled 0.011KT from.

MOABs aren't about yield, they're about sucking the oxygen out of buildings, caves, underground facilities etc and distributing incidendiary destruction, rather than blast damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Breaking News: "Obama MOAB frees hundreds of LBGTQIA Orphan Puppies from ISIS"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Righty-O. Enjoy drooling over yer war, lads, and getting sweaty and slightly breathless waiting for the videos of the destruction.
    I'm out :(

That bomb was tested in Yemen last year on the side of a mountain, plenty of YouTube videos about it. Tested by an allied force of the US. No news coverage just locals getting their property blown to pieces for the craic recorded on smartphones.

Depp wrote: »
    actually this is wrong, its a ''conventional bomb''..this means non-nuclear.

I can't find the source now, but its considered nuclear while not actually being nuclear from what I read, I understand its a conventional weapon.

My point was to the if its considered to be a nuclear weapon, how far from real nukes can we really be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

j1gsredi_jfa5f1_ec43o7.png

I can't find the source now, but its considered nuclear while not actually being nuclear from what I read, I understand its a conventional weapon.

My point was to the if its considered to be a nuclear weapon, how far from real nukes can we really be?

A nuclear bomb is a bomb that gets its destructive force from nuclear reactions, either fission or a combination of fission and fusion. As this bomb does not use nuclear reactions therefore in no way can it be considered a nuclear weapon, your source is wrong, plain and simple.

Fake trump tweet lol

It might have an energy yield comparable with a small nuclear device but that doesn't mean its nuclear......it's still a chemical energy weapon, not a fission or fusion one.

A lot of large bombs have yields comparable to previously fielded short range nukes.

Fake news! Sad! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That bomb was tested in Yemen last year on the side of a mountain, plenty of YouTube videos about it. Tested by an allied force of the US.

No it wasn't

Nope it wasn't aimed at you. Just watch how the narrative changes once people realise this was Obama's baby....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Well done to President Trump, he said he was going to tackle ISIS and once again he's proven that he is a man of his word.

trump is a puppet like obama and clinton etc. This was all planned years ago.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    MOABs aren't about yield, they're about sucking the oxygen out of buildings, caves, underground facilities etc and distributing incidendiary destruction, rather than blast damage.

Yeah I misunderstood the other posters point, apologies to him, the attitude was uncalled for now that I see what they meant.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_Massive_Ordnance_Air_Blast

the stats of the bomb are all here, explosive yield is not clasified by any means.

Can't argue with that, cheers for the link.

Catching up to the other posts by you guys...

No it wasn't

Have a look on YouTube, I'm not arsed posting links. Type in "nuke in Yemen" because people wrongly thought that it was a nuke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yes. 200k civilian deaths is nothing to be proud of.

Sure isn't but the Japanese were given plenty of chances to surrender. The Americans used the A-bomb out of need.

The carnage in Europe was waiting to happen all over again in Japan. They were the only who cultural would not stop and an invasion of Japan would have been a massive slaughter for all sides.

Lesser evil if you will but I wouldn't say it make its right, but it wasn't a pissing contest, it was a nasty war that needed to be ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Or....or....you'll call the INTERNET POLICE

Breaking News: "Obama MOAB frees hundreds of LBGTQIA Orphan Puppies from ISIS"

"ANOTHER TRUMP PLAGIARISM ROW: DONALD STEALS OBAMA'S PLAN TO END TERROR"

Have a look on YouTube, I'm not arsed posting links. Type in "nuke in Yemen" because people wrongly thought that it was a nuke.

Seen it it's not a nuke or Moab ,

Nope it wasn't aimed at you. Just watch how the narrative changes once people realise this was Obama's baby....

Mental gymnastics will be fun to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

how it was first tested in 2003 and this is the first time it's actually been used. So how is it obamas baby ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Imagine if someone from that part of the world dropped a bomb that big outside New York somewhere. Is that how the Afghan people will see this?

Where can we see a true account of the real impact in terms of enemy Vs civilian lives lost. Any non-biased reporters that anyone is following?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

MOAB.jpg

Trust the man with the world's smallest hands to pick the bomb that looks like the world's biggest dildo.

No it wasn't

What's it called then?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    how it was first tested in 2003 and this is the first time it's actually been used. So how is it obamas baby ?

It was transported to the area for use during obamas presidency

It was transported to the area for use during obamas presidency

Ok but obama never ordered it's use did he ? No he didn't. I find it hilarious that trump supporters are still trying to bring all the mess ups and all trumps decisions back to obama, and Hillary Clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Everything the West does, Everything anybody does anywhere is a cause for recruitment for IS and other Jihadi: A man being refused asylum in Sweden, Infidels drinking in cafes in Paris, A man burning a Koran in Illnois, Germany using surveillance drones in Syria, the presence of Coptic Christians in Cairo, An Ahmadi preaching in Glasgow, Shias celebrating in Karbala etc etc etc etc.
    How can they be fought if you maintain that they can't be killed? Should the Iraqis, Kurds and allies outside Raqqa and Mosul just pack up and go home?
    If so, what do you suggest?

That's about the size of it.

Not sure why people are getting so giddy about the type of bomb. It's a bit warped.

Would many people ordinary people really be hanging around in the vicinity of an ISIS network or base if they could help it? I am not sure the place would've been too populated with ordinary people.

I don't know if there were any genuine, civilian casualties yet, but so far it strikes me as really odd to find this more concerning than the deliberate slaughter of civilians, like we have heard about in Stockholm and other places in Europe, or in Egypt. Any ISIS fighters who perished would've made sure to slaughter plenty of innocent civilians so the bomb may well have saved many lives. Misplaced sympathy in this thread, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So much for the 'Trump for world peace' bullsh*t.

Pretty clear he saw the Syria attack temporarily divert attention away from his dodgy Russian ties, and now that more and more continue to come out by the day he's looking to up the ante even more. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see a nuke attempted as that investigation goes deeper and deeper, but the question is -- will someone step in to stop him or not?

• Advertisement

What's it called then?

An explosion possibly a jdsm that hit a fuel or weapons dump ,fuel tanks have a similar effect when exploding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

Billy86 wrote: »
    So much for the 'Trump for world peace bullsh*t'.

Pretty clear he saw the Syria attack temporarily divert attention away from his dodgy Russian ties, and now that more and more continue to come out by the day he's looking to up the ante even more. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see a nuke attempted as that investigation goes deeper and deeper, but the question is -- will someone step in to stop him or not?

NEW ARMS RACE

CNN are reporting the weapon had been sent forward to Afghanistan while Obama was still president. Evidently he had a plan to use it at some point, but circumstances didn't play out correctly.

Ok but obama never ordered it's use did he ? No he didn't. I find it hilarious that trump supporters are still trying to bring all the mess ups and all trumps decisions back to obama, and Hillary Clinton.

no he didn't but neither did trump. infact given the nature of involvement in afghanistan I doubt he was even required to sign off on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

obama ran a ****ing torture camp in Guantanamo Bay ffs holding prisoners that never went to trial!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

17917713_10154366820566367_7779963959541670325_o.jpg?oh=8e128c698e71ee932ca0ab2990998ad4&oe=59927742

Yeah, but you see Clinton would have just brought about wars and bombs..........

So much for the 'Trump for world peace' bullsh*t.

trump or obama before him dont hand pick which bombs are to be dropped...those decisions are made by military officials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I must be an evil bastard as my initial reaction was "wow cool" rather than "won't anyone think of the children".

Yeah, but you see Clinton would have just brought about wars and bombs..........

Well aren't we lucky billy that trump won't be dropping bombs... I feel so much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm sure I'd find more if I looked, you were looking to combat an argument that no one had made, I just wanted some info on the bomb, presumed more would find it interesting.

The region the bomb was dropped on, Achin is 350km^2, and has a population of 150,000. That's a lot of people to drop a bomb beside IMO, unless they really nailed IS.

*edit* http://www.pajhwok.com/en/2016/05/09/why-daesh-chose-achin-district-its-base-afghanistan

Need to stop half reading articles. This bombing was a good idea imo.

Yep. As targets go that one makes sense. Riddled with murderous scum. How many would they have gone on to brutalise and kill if the bomb hadn't been dropped.

I'm still not sure why people are getting so exercised by this......

......a single load from a B-52 delivers about 4 times more explosive energy than a MOAB......and for the last 15 years there's been a regular series of missions involving 3 ship cells bombing Afghanistan and Iraq (and probably Syria) so it's difficult to see why people are jumping up and down over this single piece of ordinance.

CNN are reporting the weapon had been sent forward to Afghanistan while Obama was still president. Evidently he had a plan to use it at some point, but circumstances didn't play out correctly.

Which circumstances didn't play out exactly ?

trump or obama before him dont hand pick which bombs are to be dropped...those decisions are made by military officials

Trump is refusing to decline if he signed off on it, ran on a campaign of "bombing the sh*t" out of the middle east, and is reported to be considering sending more troops to Iraq. There is absolutely no way he was not made aware of the first denotation of the biggest non nuclear bomb in the history of the world prior to it happening, but there is plenty of reason to believe he pushed for and/or approved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

In Russia they have the daddy of all bombs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement