Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

pontoonz wrote: »
    ps,

the family of one of the berlin truck attacks victims is sueing the irish navy as the truck driver was brought from libya to italy by the irish navy (simon coveny)

I'd like to hear what Liam Cunningham has to say about this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ok i take back back the accusation of simple simon transporting the berlin truck attack driver from libya to lampadusa,

i would also like to state categorically that no, i repeat no friends of simple simon are cashing in on the refugee housing programme in ireland

edit, and if they are it's a coincidence

Friends of FG bought derelict hotels and properties all over the country in July 2015. One of these hotels is now housing refugees in Balaghadereen, Co Roscommon.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/hotel-set-to-house-refugees-linked-to-other-ballaghaderreen-properties-1.2928228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

ps,

the family of one of the berlin truck attacks victims is sueing the irish navy as the truck driver was brought from libya to italy by the irish navy (simon coveny)
    Just goes to show that people will credulously accept and propagate any old sh!te, however false and however easily refuted, so long as it serves their psychological craving for rage, fear and victim status.

Anis Amir travelled from Tunisia to Italy in February 2011 on a migrant boat which made the journey safely, without any assistance from any naval force. He did not come from or through Libya.

The Irish naval service was first deployed to the Mediterranean in May 2015, more than four years later.

But don't let anything so unimportant as the truth in the way of your need for panic, pontoonz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dubh Linn wrote: »

Yes, I guess an ISIS type attack could take place. Not because we're involved with any foreign policy that may upset them, but because we 'may' be seen as a soft target, an easy touch with little defense against such an attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Well curiously there has been sanctions put out againest russia over this :D:D

Rather suprised you manage to hear about a few refugees in the mediteranian and not about passenger jets shot down over russian occupied ukraine (including a dead irish person :( )by technology only russia has??

You news channel seems lacking,or your playing dumb and dont really care about Irish people getting killed??

I've never said I'm unaware of anything you've that you have posted????
    What sanctions,??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I've never said I'm unaware of anything you've that you have posted????
    What sanctions,??

You really havnt heard of the eu/us econmic sanctions and only barly aware of the airplane being shot down

Perhaps current affairs aren't your strongest point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Did anyone see the news today? 2 people arrested in Waterford suspected of Islamic terrorist activitys

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/man-and-woman-arrested-in-waterford-on-suspicion-of-involvement-with-international-terrorism/ar-BBArIDW?li=BBr5KbJ&ocid=mailsignout

how many more of them are about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Hasschu wrote: »
    Do we meet the age old criteria for such revenge attacks. For example have we as a State captured, tortured or killed Moslems. Have we as a State supported or cheered on shooting fish in a barrel tactics by others. To be more specific have we as a State attacked any North African or Middle Eastern Moslem majority country or publicly cheered on countries that did attack those countries.
    I have no idea what Ireland says at the UN, Brussels or Geneva. Pope Francis makes public statements that makes it clear that he is promoting peace and is appalled at the murderous behaviour in the Middle East and North Africa. The Irish Gov't would be well advised to adopt a similar approach. 
    The chances of Ireland getting attacked by Fundamentalist Moslems are slim to nil unless the Irish Gov't provokes such behaviour. Presently I would put GB, USA and France at the top of the endangered list. I am not in a position to assess what our home grown risk is but I would hazard a guess that it is higher than the risk presented from  MENA.

Did Sweden?

Of course. Terror attacks can happen anywhere.

In fact, the odds of a terror attack in Ireland are probably higher than in many other places. We have quite a history of them, including in the relatively recent past, and some of the organisations involved in those attacks are still active, and not on ceasefire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Peregrinus wrote: »

Of course. Terror attacks can happen anywhere.

In fact, the odds of a terror attack in Ireland are probably higher than in many other places. We have quite a history of them, including in the relatively recent past, and some of the organisations involved in those attacks are still active, and not on ceasefire.

They mean the brown lads.

Never mind the fact that a bomb was found outside a school the other day.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dissident-republicans-leave-sizeable-bomb-outside-belfast-school-1.3058286

Or a Royal Marine was arrested over arms caches found in Armagh.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/24/member-british-forces-arrested-suspicion-of-northern-ireland-terrorism-offences

But thems our terrorists. H'yup the Ra, and all that.

Mmm. Somehow I think the threat from The Lads is the bigger one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hate the IRA as much as the next man, but to compare a struggle in your own land and then to a attack for no reason are different

I hate the IRA as much as the next man, but to compare a struggle in your own land and then to a attack for no reason are different

Why?
    What difference does it make?
    A terrorist is a terrorist. Attacks on civilians are attacks on civilians.
    Why should be OK with dissident republican attack but not attacks carried out by foreigners?
    Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why?
    Why should be OK with dissident republican attack but not attacks carried out by foreigners?
    Ridiculous

Wow wow wow. I.never said it was ok. Never.

Now its not right to blow up 2 school children in the way to school like IRA done and that is equal to anything ISIS done.

But Garda intelligence know pretty much these.

We now face a threat for no reason after we not bombing these people.

Plus we outraged and voted against these murder unlike Muslim communities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Why?
    Ridiculous

Whilst i agree, the outcome is the the same and so is the damage to the people, the fundamental reason for attacks are different.

One is to re-unite 2 countries separated by a third country, the other is based on religion.
    Same result, but big difference. I do think that there is more understanding for the IRA - if one can say that - than there ever will be for attacks based on religion - any religion for that matter.
    And, re poll.Yes, Ireland will be a target at some point in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Tbf its somewhat difficult to have sympaty for germany after the way they treated ireland during the bailout?

Much like it was hard to have sympathy on russoa when they shotdown a planeload of innocents and covered it up in Ukraine

Whatever feelings I might have about Germany's attitude to the bailout, they don't extend to the ordinary German (and one of the people killed was Italian, if I remember correctly and the murdererd driver of the lorry was Polish).
    Likewise for the Russians. I loathe Putin;loads of people in many countries have occasion to loathe him, but that's no reason to kill ordinary Russians going about their business.
    Do we meet the age old criteria for such revenge attacks. For example have we as a State captured, tortured or killed Moslems. Have we as a State supported or cheered on shooting fish in a barrel tactics by others. To be more specific have we as a State attacked any North African or Middle Eastern Moslem majority country or publicly cheered on countries that did attack those countries.

France did not participate in the US invasion of Iraq, has it saved them from attacks? Neither did Germany. In any case I doubt that IS supporters have any particular objection to the capturing,torturing and killing of Moslems per se, since they engage in those practises all the time with the greatest enthusiasm.
    I have no idea what Ireland says at the UN, Brussels or Geneva. Pope Francis makes public statements that makes it clear that he is promoting peace and is appalled at the murderous behaviour in the Middle East and North Africa. The Irish Gov't would be well advised to adopt a similar approach. 

I doubt that Pope Francis's well-meaning statements will save him if Daesh get withing striking distance of him. They have already boasted that the IS flag will fly over the Vatican.
    The chances of Ireland getting attacked by Fundamentalist Moslems are slim to nil unless the Irish Gov't provokes such behaviour. Presently I would put GB, USA and France at the top of the endangered list. I am not in a position to assess what our home grown risk is but I would hazard a guess that it is higher than the risk presented from  MENA.

What did Sweden do to provoke anybody...or Denmark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Whatever feelings I might have about Germany's attitude to the bailout, they don't extend to the ordinary German (and one of the people killed was Italian, if I remember correctly and the murdererd driver of the lorry was Polish).
    Likewise for the Russians. I loathe Putin;loads of people in many countries have occasion to loathe him, but that's no reason to kill ordinary Russians going about their business.

well, the contempt came from the German government - BUT the average German had his/her taxes hiked by +/- 10% to afford the contribution to the irish bailout...how'd you feel about that? Especially cause the irish government has done *** all to reign in / punish those responsible...just sayin'. My da's pension got snipped by 7%.He worked his whole life and hard at that. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why?
    Ridiculous

The difference is, one is a home grown problem that is a product of an sectarian conflict.

The other is an imported problem that, as is the case in the UK, will rapidly become a home grown problem that will outstrip the previous one.

We have enough terrorists in this country already thanks very much, I see no need to import more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Islamic population in Ireland has quite a large radical cohort in it, it is the reason that so many from here have gone to fight, among the highest rates in Europe.

It is why Al Qaeda used Dublin as its financial capital, admittedly there is a Chicken/Egg argument on that one.

There is no reason that Ireland would not be targeted, none at all.

Many countries that have bent backwards to accommodate radical Islam have been attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fair play to the Gardai.

It's only a matter of time to be honest. And when (not if) there's a Muslim terrorist attack in Ireland, I would presume you'll have the usual "Religion of Peace" and "It's because of the West" crowd in the thread.

Don't forget

"But this is what they want"
    "Lone wolf"
    "Rise of the far right"
    "No Speculation"
    "Daily Mail"
    "Right wingers Jizzing themselves over this happening"
    "marginalised"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

You really havnt heard of the eu/us econmic sanctions and only barly aware of the airplane being shot down

Perhaps current affairs aren't your strongest point?

Perhaps reading isn't yours...read my post again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    I suppose, because we are neutral and all that, we would be less of a target? Would I be right in saying that? And also, where would be the most likely place for them to attack in Ireland?
    I think the fact that america seems to be the most hated place on the planet at the moment, and the fact that we house a lot of their tech gods head offices, such as Google, Facebook and Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised if these where targeted at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭muppetshow

No it takes more to recruit to ISIL

Fox Hound wrote: »
    I think the fact that america seems to be the most hated place on the planet at the moment, and the fact that we house a lot of their tech gods head offices, such as Google, Facebook and Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised if these where targeted at some stage.

I would imagine that Shandon airport if it still allows bombing raids from there,could be classed as a legitimate target???

Though Isis in Europe don't seem to bother with military targets

I would imagine that Shandon airport if it still allows bombing raids from there,could be classed as a legitimate target???

Though Isis in Europe don't seem to bother with military targets

They have attacked military personell on several occations

It takes more than 1 to drive a truck?

No it takes more to recruit from

muppetshow wrote: »
    They have attacked military personell on several occations

In Europe??

In Europe??

Yes ,several attacks on military and policeofficers.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism_in_Europe_(2014–present)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The gay pride march in Dublin, an atheist conference or a Jewish school would all be much bigger targets than Shannon airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 dabins

With all the recent terrorist terrorist attacks in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, do you think an attack is a possibility here?

Where would be the most likely target in your opinion?

What would the response be like, and who would respond?

Does Ireland have the capability to respond to an attack?

Is there any known threat to this country?

Also, who would be the security source here, my guess is MI5 or MI6.

Not talking about the North here, but Islamist terrorism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

dabins wrote: »

o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Jaysus... glad you cleared that up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You think MI5 or MI6 would protect Ireland ?? As in Ireland, the country we all live in ? That's not part of the UK ?

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

another one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

You ask a lot of questions Mohammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

IsIs are everywhere these days :P

1jAlhkz.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Yet again?

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

9/11 style attack we be ****ed. The recent attack like London, we be ok. We got armed response units ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I think it could, whether it would or not is another question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

How would "we" respond to it? 287 people all racing at the same time to the "New Thread" button I'd say

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

With all the recent terrorist terrorist attacks in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, do you think an attack is a possibility here?

One of London attackers, who lived here by the way, lets not forget. Could have organised the attack on a Dublin venue or place, It's not as if we not welcoming to different cultures and they are targets. Will it happen, who knows. But don't be naive thinking Ireland is safe. Isis lists this country as an enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Extremists are in Ireland and are using the easy access to get to the UK. They are not going to attack here as long as they have easy access to the UK.

But this access has been highlighted recently and will be closed off so then we are at risk. If they can't travel to uk they can attack here and it will be an easy target.

Look how many went to fight in Libya from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

9/11 style attack we be ****ed.

Siptu would be fucked anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aren't we more likely to win the lotto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

One of London attackers, who lived here by the way, lets not forget. Could have organised the attack on a Dublin venue or place, It's not as if we not welcoming to different cultures and they are targets. Will it happen, who knows. But don't be naive thinking Ireland is safe. Isis lists this country as an enemy.

Don't ISIS list every country as an enemy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Somewhere, a proto-jihadist looks up from his computer "Hey, the infidels have a point, I could totally blow up X"

Don't ISIS list every country as an enemy ?

no, they don't

This is their list and this was taken from an Isis video.
    421678.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The attack already took place 10 years ago when Fianna Failure sold the country out to protect the banks.

What did we do then - nothing: we get more upset about having to pay a few bin charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

There would be a three pronged response to any terrorist attack here .
    1. Stick on the kettle.
    2. Make hang sandwiches.
    3. Call Joe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 dabins

Here are two more questions.

Give me a detailed scenario of an attack in Dublin and detail the probable response please,
    and, have you ever been caught up or in a city during a terror attack, what was it like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement