Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Manny89 wrote: »
    The poor Swedes and Germans got attacked in the past few days. Two very tolerant and welcoming countries who went above and beyond for their new arrivals.

We absolutely could be attacked too.
    What is to stop an Islamic terrorist going from England to Belfast and then travelling south with a suicide vest or perhaps seeing it being easier to use a truck just by going over the border and onto Dublin to cause carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

What is to stop an Islamic terrorist going from England to Belfast and then travelling south with a suicide vest or perhaps seeing it being easier to use a truck just by going over the border and onto Dublin to cause carnage.

They'd get as far as Dundalk and then go off just to end the misery. Missing out on the glory that is Bettystown..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Of course it can happen, more of a surprise if it does not happen.

Look at things from Gay Marriage, our love of alcohol and live music, women doing their own thing, majority non Islamic and not adhering to Sharia (the main one as far as Isis and similar are concerned) and on and on.

Sweden bent backwards to accommodate radical Islam, to a degree that was masochistic and it did no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

isis don't really plan most of the attacks. I think the major ones possibly but it's often loan nuts radicalised by the Internet.

There's absolutely no way that couldn't happen here.

ISIS Plan all their attacks. There is nothing random about their attacks at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_linked_to_ISIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

nah , conor mcgregor would knock that missile the other way with that left hand shot .

Danzy wrote: »
    Of course it can happen, more of a surprise if it does not happen.

Look at things from Gay Marriage, our love of alcohol and live music, women doing their own thing, majority non Islamic and not adhering to Sharia (the main one as far as Isis and similar are concerned) and on and on.

Sweden bent backwards to accommodate radical Islam, to a degree that was masochistic and it did no good.

^post contains many, many things for intelligent people to think deeply about. Is this a world you'd like to wave goodbye to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah there's no reason why the lone nut type of attack couldn't happen here. God knows we've plenty of our own anyway.

Big sophisticated attacks are far less likely because their intention is to provoke a response - to get a country to enact more anti-muslim policies or to get them to drop bombs somewhere. In neither arena would we make much of a difference on the world stage, so blowing your load on a large attack in Dublin would be a waste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah there's no reason why the lone nut type of attack couldn't happen here. God knows we've plenty of our own anyway.

Big sophisticated attacks are far less likely because their intention is to provoke a response - to get a country to enact more anti-muslim policies or to get them to drop bombs somewhere. In neither arena would we make much of a difference on the world stage, so blowing your load on a large attack in Dublin would be a waste.

They're not trying to provoke non Muslim countries,they're trying to take them over..Even if it takes a hundred years.
    And an attack on dublin would be another string in thier bow and in no way a waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Isis must be the only bastards that dont like the Irish,all the other warlords think we are sound....im betting the lad that attacks Ireland will have visited clonskeagh once or twice.

• Advertisement

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Isis must be the only bastards that dont like the Irish,all the other warlords think we are sound....im betting the lad that attacks Ireland will have visited clonskeagh once or twice.

There's no sound kuafars

There are many targets in Dublin that would be prime targets for Islamist terror.

From the Synagogue to EMEA headquarters of global players like Facebook, Google, Microsoft.

Tourist rich targets, gay pride parade, International Sports events, concerts, the list is endless and the potential to make a significant statement globally is real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

sxt wrote: »
    ISIS Plan all their attacks. There is nothing random about their attacks at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_linked_to_ISIL

They plan some attacks. Others are lone wolves with no contact with isis who are radicalised by the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Yes it definitely could happen.

Why ? Sure arent we loveable Irish Leprechauns who never did a soul any harm etc etc ?

We're not any kinder to Muslims than Sweden is. Sweden handed over it's wimmin , its tax money , its council houses , grants, free healthcare , affirmative action programs , grants for returning Daesh fighters and bent over royally for them. How many countries has Sweden invaded lately ? How many bombs has Sweden dropped on the Middle East ? Appeasement and love didnt stop the terror attacks in Sweden. Why should it stop them eventually happening here ?

They plan some attacks. Others are lone wolves with no contact with isis who are radicalised by the Internet.

They're radicalised by thier imams,their media and thier peers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Yes it definitely could happen.

Why ? Sure arent we loveable Irish Leprechauns who never did a soul any harm etc etc ?

We're not any kinder to Muslims than Sweden is. Sweden handed over it's wimmin , its tax money , its council houses , grants, free healthcare , affirmative action programs , grants for returning Daesh fighters and bent over royally for them. How many countries has Sweden invaded lately ? How many bombs has Sweden dropped on the Middle East ? Appeasement and love didnt stop the terror attacks in Sweden. Why should it stop them eventually happening here ?

The tragic event that happened in Sweden was not ISIS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

MysticMonk wrote: »
    They're radicalised by thier imams,their media and thier peers

Actually, the Internet has and continues to play a large role in radicalisation.

Actually, the Internet has and continues to play a large role in radicalisation.

Great. So we can add that to imams,media and peers

No it was Merkel

It does but the content that is shared and the views that are preached in many mainstream Mosques in Europe and Britain is very concerning.

It certainly prepares the seed bed.

Over half of Britain's Mosques come from fundamentalist/Purist Schools of Islam.

I'm ringing the cops as we speak. You are obviously one of them. You have so much inside information. :eek:

Or not. :(

Who knows what ISIS thinks? It's not like they really exist anyway. They're just the Bogey-man-du-jour. Like a 2017 version of "Al Queda" - he was a bad dude too. Never liked Al.

• Advertisement

Great. So we can add that to imams,media and peers

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    This is a question that is being asked by many people in Ireland at the moment.

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland? What would happen if there was?

I'm not talking about the IRA or groups from the North here, I'm talking about IS and Islamist terrorism.

After the Westminster attack, Frances Fitzgerald told the Dail that Ireland is not immune from terror attacks.

They have attacked promenades in Nice, theatres, restaurants, supermarkets, offices, airports and museums in Paris, beaches in Tunisia, Christmas markets in Berlin, airports and metros Brussels and Istanbul, Ankara, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and the list goes on. Good Christ, they have even attacked German football team buses now.

So, do you think Ireland could be next?

Well there was a terrorist attack in Stockholm, a country that has bent over backwards for Muslims, so of course it can & probably will happen here.
    At least 120 people left Ireland to join ISIS, do you think they will come back & just get on with their lives like they just had a gap year at Uni??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

You cant know the mechanisms behind it .It was a terror attack inspired by Daesh Islamofascist ideology. And being politically correct social justice warrior bend over backwards pacifist anti war Sweden didnt protect them. So it wont protect us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

We don't know. That's what makes them terrifying.

Are you really terrified by them?

If you value your current way of life and wish the same for your grandchildren you should be terrified of them

Here is a list of Islamist terror attacks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

What stops us from getting hit?? All the SJW's?? Liberals??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd blast them with un-Godly piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you value your current way of life and wish the same for your grandchildren you should be terrified of them

Terrified? Vaguely concerned perhaps. I probably put them in the same category as the overprescribing of antibiotics or people refusing to vaccinate their children.

Beyondgone wrote: »

Who knows what ISIS thinks? It's not like they really exist anyway. They're just the Bogey-man-du-jour. Like a 2017 version of "Al Queda" - he was a bad dude too. Never liked Al.

They're just the warm up act

Whats terrifying is the amount of people willing to put Irish people at risk with their naivety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Whats terrifying is the amount of people willing to put Irish people at risk with their naivety

I suppose we could always enact some draconian privacy-invading Big Brother laws to combat imaginary terr'ism that will remain in place long after ISIS are dead and buried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I'm ringing the cops as we speak. You are obviously one of them. You have so much inside information. :eek:

They do exist. Not all attacks they later claim were planned.

And I know this because it's reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Danzy wrote: »
    There are many targets in Dublin that would be prime targets for Islamist terror.

From the Synagogue to EMEA headquarters of global players like Facebook, Google, Microsoft.

Tourist rich targets, gay pride parade, International Sports events, concerts, the list is endless and the potential to make a significant statement globally is real.

Saint Patrick's Day in Dublin City Centre would do some amount of damage and would get the most headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I've been close to 5 bomb scares in Dublin over the past 20 years so it could happen. I won't live in fear of it and don't think anyone should as that's what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're not trying to provoke non Muslim countries,they're trying to take them over..Even if it takes a hundred years.
    And an attack on dublin would be another string in thier bow and in no way a waste
    They're not. Their goal is to re-establish a caliphate in the Middle East and being about a holy war with the nonbelievers signalling the end of times, as foretold in their magic book.

It's not a Muslim -v- non-Muslim thing. The vast majority of victims of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism are other Muslim sects they regard as nonbelievers. We're small fry by comparison. Like saying the IRA are an anti-muslim terrorist group because they once shot a Muslim.

Help!!!! wrote: »

Pop into Aldi any night you like. Report back on "Irish people". It's a done deal already. If you think it isn't, you got dropped once too many times as a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes I do think it could happen. I say this because the use of vehicles which seems to be prevalent could easily happen here. But I don't worry to the point of it stopping me going about my daily life.

Al Qaeda still operate....did you think they were gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pop into Aldi any night you like. Report back on "Irish people". It's a done deal already. If you think it isn't, you got dropped once too many times as a baby.

I really hope what I'm reading into this post isn't what I think it is. Trolls aside, obviously.

Could you clarify what you mean, for the craic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd hope not.
    You'd half expect some mosque in the UK to get blown up in retaliation by some loony Republicans if something did happen here.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Of course, why couldn't a terrorist attack happen in ireland? Its just not likely is all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Terrified? Vaguely concerned perhaps. I probably put them in the same category as the overprescribing of antibiotics or people refusing to vaccinate their children.

I'd put them several levels below that! Antimicrobial resistance is one of the the most pressing issues of the next generation or so. Nutty Islamists are Vanarama League by comparison - they kill hundreds every year typically, a bacterial infection without a silver bullet will kill millions at some point the way things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Let's ask the people of Omagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Poor intelligence on international terrorist networks here. (Irish Secret Service huh?)

+

Fairly substantive immigrant communities (easy place to blend in and lie low for a while)

+

Beside a country which is a high-profile and high-risk terror target.

= A sizeable risk for our air and sea transportation links to the UK.

Just because it never happened before, does not say it will never happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Gazzmonkey wrote:
    I read an article some time ago on a site that tracks IS shenanigans around the world, I remember the article had a supposed official IS list of false idols and Newgrange was mentioned as a target.

Ah sure they can bomb away at Newgrange, no-one ever there. It'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Gazzmonkey wrote:
    I read an article some time ago on a site that tracks IS shenanigans around the world, I remember the article had a supposed official IS list of false idols and Newgrange was mentioned as a target.

Ah sure they can bomb away at Newgrange, no-one ever there. It'll be grand.

seamus wrote: »
    They're not. Their goal is to re-establish a caliphate in the Middle East and being about a holy war with the nonbelievers signalling the end of times, as foretold in their magic book.

It's not a Muslim -v- non-Muslim thing. The vast majority of victims of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism are other Muslim sects they regard as nonbelievers. We're small fry by comparison. Like saying the IRA are an anti-muslim terrorist group because they once shot a Muslim.

It's ultimately about expansion and the establishment of Sharia law in all other nations..As it says in their "magic book".

There are various ways and means to establish that goal in the long-term but the net result in islamified territories is the same..The removal or subjugation of all other faiths.

I really hope what I'm reading into this post isn't what I think it is. Trolls aside, obviously.

Could you clarify what you mean, for the craic?

Well, you don't speak the language the staff speak, you don't speak the language most if not almost all the other customers speak.. so what's to clarify? You're the minority. And you didn't even notice because someone loud on the internet said it wasn't true. And had statistics to prove it. Like boiling frogs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I think the main reason we aren't a target is because we are a small nation and have a familiar attitude to the passerby in the street.
    We don't jump to conclusions when we see a Muslim in the street. He's a person probably owns a shop restaurant or is a doctor who treated our grandmother in hospital last week.
    Do we think their all terrorists no of course not. This makes it harder for them to be radicalized here. In England the situation is different there are swathes of the population who feel the Muslims are taking over and have confrontations. This can make a community turn inwards and develop resentment this creates an opening for someone to find a malleable disenfranchised individual and make them carry out "God's will"
    Unfortunately there's no shortage of stupid people who will do things if someone tells them they're great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

wakka12 wrote: »
    Of course, why couldn't a terrorist attack happen in ireland? Its just not likely is all..

It just wouldn't or won't happen here!
    We're not a player in world events!
    We're an innocent tribe of people who have suffered under the dominance
    of another nation and some might argue still do!
    What would any group have to gain by it bar the obvious but we're not
    down that road yet.
    In my humble opinion our biggest threat comes from within ourselves.
    Plenty of people within our own borders willing to screw it all up for
    everyone and they have done so with remarkable ambivalence!

• Advertisement
Advertisement